Headed to Road America for ALMS next weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be my first time at Road America (shocking, I know). Any tips or things to know? i.e. best places to sit, what to do before the race starts, etc.

You will not be disappointed. I caught the race at Mosport a couple of weeks ago. Had an amazing time
08.gif

I live 15 min. away from the track turn 5 is all the action track food is good and min $$ any thing you want to know or need just ask many good places to eat on any budget or high end. New craft beer bar in Plymouth downtown named PBC no food but good taps. Have been thinking of going to this race myself anything you need just ask or need to know ask.

One tip do not speed on hwy 57 going north they love to get you guys on race weekend and you will see many pulled over on the side of the road.

Originally Posted By: dave123
One tip do not speed on hwy 57 going north they love to get you guys on race weekend and you will see many pulled over on the side of the road.

Duly noted. I don't speed in WI since I have IL plates, and I do utilize a radar detector.

RA is a fabulous track. Bring your walking shoes, as you can walk to so many parts of the track and enjoy the day. Heck yeah, take pictures and post them here!
smile.gif

I wanted to go next Saturday but funds are tight this month.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Maybe snap some pictures of your car at the track.

I thought I heard they do 'touring laps' where you can drive your car at low-speed around the course? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the website.

Also, what time do you suggest I arrive on Sunday? The ALMS race is at like 2 or 3pm. I'm sure I need to be there well before lunch to get a good spot.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Maybe snap some pictures of your car at the track.

Heck yeah, we are counting on you to take some pics!

Wish I was there...

I went to the Indycar race there twice. The first time I got a bleacher seat overlooking Hurry Downs, which is between turns 7 & 8. Turn 8 is a good passing spot. I liked this spot because a concession stand was close to the bleachers. (If you're at Road America, you have to buy bratwursts.)

The second time, I got a spot along the fence going into turn 5, which is the prime passing spot for the whole course. But standing for the whole race was a pain. There are also bleacher seats on a hill outside of turn 6 overlooking turn 5. This is a good vantage point because you can see passes developing going into turn 5, as well as watch the cars accelerating up the hill from Canada Corner.

The other major passing spot is Canada Corner, which is turn 12. There was no easy way to get there the last time I spectated at Road America about 13 years ago. If you want to see all the corners at RA, you better have comfortable walking shoes.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: dave123

Duly noted. I don't speed in WI since I have IL plates, and I do utilize a radar detector.

Just curious, but what difference does it make having IL plates?
I like to speed in the States since any tickets I get can usually be ignored! I've never paid one yet.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I like to speed in the States since any tickets I get can usually be ignored! I've never paid one yet.

It's a well-known fact that Wisconsin police HATE people from Illinois. It goes back to the whole Packers-Bears football rivalry. "FIBs" is the colloquial nickname.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It's a well-known fact that Wisconsin police HATE people from Illinois. It goes back to the whole Packers-Bears football rivalry. "FIBs" is the colloquial nickname.

No really we love you flatlanders spend more money up here we love it. BTW what 15 QBs to what our two thats what make us laugh the most you have a real winner with that one you have now lol. If i was going to RA I would want to be on grounds at 10am I might be their was offered free tickets for sat and sundays race.

Turn 5 is the best place to be. When I "raced" there that was also one if my favorite corners that and the positive camber right hander its either 2 or 3. Beautiful track and beautiful scenery its just such a classic course

I will be at the track Sat was given free tickets looks like good weather can't wait to see the changes at the track it's been a while since i have been to the track sad I know it's in my backyard.

I've decided to participate in the BMW Paddock stuff. Cheap parking, pit tours, food, etc. I'll probably still sit at turn 5 but look for a white M3 sedan parked at turn 14. :)

Also noticed that every single county I have to pass through uses LIDAR for speed enforcement, including the state troopers. Looks like I won't be able to do much speeding to get there:

kirk-fire_zps04219d20.gif

Great day at RA sat in turn one most part of the day also the the high speed strech before entering turn 5 great spot to view high speed braking also it's nice to sit and overlook the hurry downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back