Having noise through speakers when in AM

Sometimes , when I try to listen to a faraway AM station, I get this noise. It only happens when I turn the steering wheel. It only happens in AM.

@DriveHard yup..first thing I thought of was electric power steering motor causing EFI/RFI noise.

EDIT.. Also found a service bulletin for problems with the 2011 Kia Optima electric steering, they replace the motor because it has issues, such as notchy steering but hey they did admit something was wrong with it.

This wouldn't be a situation where I take it in to get fixed, for free, would it?

This wouldn't be a situation where I take it in to get fixed, for free, would it?
nope (of course not, typical stuff in life), the bulletin was saying it would be covered under new car warranty.. Not a recall, but when I found it made me think that the motor IS putting out electrical noise since it was causing steering issues. I know that's just a theory but ironic that you have noise on am and it's got a bulletin on it.. I say that if you're not having steering issues and only the radio is having interference, save the money and just know what was causing it..

the other idea is you could put a noise filter on the antenna but sometimes that reduces the sensitivity of the antenna..

If the vehicle is aged, another source for AM Radio interference buzz occurs when old school light bulbs (ex: tail light, backup light, brake light) are replaced by LEDs.

Try bypass cap on PS motor B+ to GND. Maybe am electrolytic plus a teflon or poly film part one decade higher.

Also could be CAN bus racket. I perceive an opposite issue on many or may cars in recent past, the PS wave chopper on my radio is injecting noise into the buss causing performance issues.

You could also alternatively acquire and stream the AM channel (part of IHeartMedia?) with high fidelity from your phone to the car radio using BT.

I listen to some AM station shows when I get home to finish of an interesting show hour. And I almost didn't recognise some presenter's voices using Comcast on my HiFi TV system as they take the digital feed pre broadcast compression before its low pass filtered. LOL

Willing to give a hint on which AM station and show you enjoy?

Try bypass cap on PS motor B+ to GND. Maybe am electrolytic plus a teflon or poly film part one decade higher.

Also could be CAN bus racket. I perceive an opposite issue on many or may cars in recent past, the PS wave chopper on my radio is injecting noise into the buss causing performance issues.

You could also alternatively acquire and stream the AM channel (part of IHeartMedia?) with high fidelity from your phone to the car radio using BT.

I listen to some AM station shows when I get home to finish of an interesting show hour. And I almost didn't recognise some presenter's voices using Comcast on my HiFi TV system as they take the digital feed pre broadcast compression before its low pass filtered. LOL

Willing to give a hint on which AM station and show you enjoy?
Am600 KOGO San Diego, sometimes

I know not the same however I just stream AM radio on phone apps where possible as the quality is terrible on modern anything over radio waves. They don’t care .

Back