Hastings filters good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Toto
Hastings IS Baldwins "economy" line filters,yes good quality.Would i go 10k on one? probably not.

Hello daman,

I do not believe the HASTINGS filters are the "economy"line to Baldwin the only difference is the color of paint and they are marketed differently,
BALDWIN does have more part numbers and if a HASTINGS filter is not available they refer you to the Baldwin part.

Toto.

Hastings IS there economy filters from what was explained to me,Ive dealt with this company in the past.

I just ran through my old emails i have that Rebecca Taylor from Baldwin sent me awile ago but cant seem to find any hasting info,ill recontact her and post my findings for you.

i have specs/flow charts saved on my computer and will cross reference it to hastings and have a talk then post my findings.

fair enough daman but there was a recent post from a HASTINGS/BALDWIN engineer stating what
I repeated and
I will look for that post.

Toto.

Ok, interesting to compare.

here it is:
I just stumbled onto this and I can clear up any confusion as I'm an engineer at Baldwin's HQ in Kearney Nebraska.

Baldwin and Hastings are one and the same. Exact same innards on cross referenced part #'s. They are made on the same assembly lines and use all of the exact same parts. You guys would be pretty surprised to see all the brands that we make filters for. Lots of OE brands, and quite a few other brands will buy a few PN's from us as well. We make a lot of filters for the big name brands too, like CAT, Purolator, Napa, and plenty others. They go down our line with the same guts as the Baldwin red filters, just get painted and printed to the customer's spec.

So in short Baldwin = Hastings, end of story

Edited by gr8shot (08/14/12 03:07 PM)
'96 cutlass supreme 3.1v6 225k

another thing i noticed different between the hastings lf107 and the wix51085 is the hastings case on the inside is a louvered set up where the wix is a perfortated. It looks as if the wix filter would flow oil better in my opinion, and the wix anti drain back valve looks better then the hastings. But as far as filtering i can not say wich one would be better???

First time I heard that it is the economy line to Baldwin. Maybe, but I always thought they were pretty much comparable in quality.

Good morning,
I grew up in central Kansas as a kid so my friends and I usually followed our dads' advice and the gas station guys we saw as kids when we went to the gas station. We all used Hastings filters primarily and some others on our cars. Hastings were more available to us as teenagers and the best machinist in my hometown swore by them. I buy and use Hastings still today, and others I can get on sale. I have cut open ALOT of filters in my car maintenance life, and I had the privelege of serving my country as a helicopter mechanic in the USAF, Hastings filters are a very good filter. The machinist we used growing up gave us all a piece of advice I follow to this day - "keep a good, clean oil and a good filter in your engines and they will last for you as long as you boys don't tear them up!" Thanks Mr. Brown...rest in peace. Use Hasting oil filters with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Toto
Ok, interesting to compare.

here it is:
I just stumbled onto this and I can clear up any confusion as I'm an engineer at Baldwin's HQ in Kearney Nebraska.

Baldwin and Hastings are one and the same. Exact same innards on cross referenced part #'s. They are made on the same assembly lines and use all of the exact same parts. You guys would be pretty surprised to see all the brands that we make filters for. Lots of OE brands, and quite a few other brands will buy a few PN's from us as well. We make a lot of filters for the big name brands too, like CAT, Purolator, Napa, and plenty others. They go down our line with the same guts as the Baldwin red filters, just get painted and printed to the customer's spec.

So in short Baldwin = Hastings, end of story

Edited by gr8shot (08/14/12 03:07 PM)

Baldwin also has a line of fully wire backed synthetic media called HPG dose Hasting incorporate anything like that? your an engineer can you post specs, flow charts? i have some saved i would like to compare?

Filter companies seem to go to great lengths to promote their brands as being something special while also maximizing manufacturing economies of scale by minimizing the number of real differences.

A great many filters from big names are in fact not even made by the company in question. I've seen as many as three filters from different points of origin all packed in the same "Motorcraft" box with the same part number. Most of the big companies may make their own filters for the best selling part numbers in their line, but then source from one another to fill out the catalog.

If Hastings filters are available to you easily and at a good price, use them and don't worry about it.

Just checked out the Hastings under a Federated label. No base plate bypass valve for any of my Ford applications (FL820s, FL400s, and FL1A). With Baldwin their version of FL1A does have a base plate bypass, but the others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back