Has dexos1 bolstered the image of Synthetic Blends

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Find me a dexos1 licensed oil that is primarily Group IV or Group V."

Agreed, something with ultra low NOACK (6 or less), TEOST result less than say 8 mg.
GF 5 calls for less than 30 Mg.

Would any of the Mobil 1 products qualify?

I "feel" that there are "boutique" products that could qualify in spades.
It would be nice to actually know this for a fact either way.

Like others I predict that the Dexos standard will raise the bar regarding minimum specifications that commonly used automotive engine oils will have to meet.

I envision the day when exclusively Group I or II oils are a specialty product for outdoor power equipment and similar applications.

The entry level will have a minimum level of Group III or better content to meet Dexos.
Apparently a lot of "conventional" oils are already almost there.

Good day.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Would any of the Mobil 1 products qualify?

Maybe something like AFE, or perhaps EP. But, the vast majority of synthetic dexos1 licensed oils are the usual Group III oils. There's nothing wrong with that, but when one wants to be picky about wording, it can go all kinds of ways.
wink.gif

While Group I, II etc. are oil categories, I wonder if the consumer would be better served if there were 3 categories based on a specific set of specs. Something like "Standard Inverval", "Extended Interval" and "Longest Interval" to indicate what kind of OCI is appropriate for that oil.

A quick oil change place will slap the 3,000 mile sticker on the car whether you use dino oil or full syn. Some dealers do the same. It doesn't make sense to me that this isn't an integrated effort with oil makers, regulators, and manufacturers to get it right.

Originally Posted By: Dave01
While Group I, II etc. are oil categories, I wonder if the consumer would be better served if there were 3 categories based on a specific set of specs. Something like "Standard Inverval", "Extended Interval" and "Longest Interval" to indicate what kind of OCI is appropriate for that oil.

A quick oil change place will slap the 3,000 mile sticker on the car whether you use dino oil or full syn. Some dealers do the same. It doesn't make sense to me that this isn't an integrated effort with oil makers, regulators, and manufacturers to get it right.

Good idea

Dave01,

What you propose would require everyone to drive the exact same platform in the same way.

That seems a bit unlikely to me. Too many differing engine designs with unique needs. Too many drivers who are also unique in their usage patterns and habits...

I agree, very unlikely.

But, here's what I picture would work. It wouldn't be that a Standard Interval oil was always good for 3,000 miles. It would be that the automaker would specify the OCI for each of the 3 grades of oil. So, in a GM 5.3 engine it might mean 3,000 miles for Standard, 5,000 miles for Extended, and 7,000 miles for Longest. In a different vehicle it might be 2,500/4,500/6,500. In a performance engine it might be that Standard and Extended are not appropriate, only Longest rated oil is specified. I think it would work and be a much simpler system for everyone.

The few of us % wise that care enough about oil to bother to read and post on an oil forum are a very small number of people, and we'll keep doing our own research. For the other 99% of people a simple guideline would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Sounds good Dave. I like the idea and simple is always best for the majority.

But I still feel there is just too many different manufacturers involved...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Any attempt to simplify and standardize is a step forward at least.

Originally Posted By: wemay

That would be PRECISELY what certifications like Dexos are...

That would be PRECISELY what certifications like Dexos are...

+1

I agree that a spec like Dexos can be a good step forward, though have to admit I don't know a whole lot about it or how it got started. But, here's how I'm looking at it.

For gasoline, if I ask if an octane number is from the r+m/2 method, many people here will have an idea what I'm talking about. But, 99.5% of the general public won't have a clue. If I ask whether 87 or 89 octane is more expensive, 99.5% of the people will know the answer. That's because octane numbers are so simple to understand.

So, while most here have heard of Dexos and have some level of knowledge about what it means, to the general public it will be just another buzzword. They won't know what it means to them. And I bet if they say "my manual says to use Dexos oil in my car" to local small garages, many of them will say it doesn't matter and just put dino oil in.

Yesterday I went to the dealer for a tire rotation and one of the guys approached me saying, 'we just started using Quaker State Synthetic Blend, probably the best value in the mkt are these new dexos1 blends...'

Yesterday I went to the dealer for a tire rotation and one of the guys approached me saying, 'we just started using Quaker State Synthetic Blend, probably the best value in the mkt are these new dexos1 blends...'

Dexos1 is a tougher spec to meet than the standard SN/GF-5, particularly in wear, deposits, and foaming. Lubrizol ranks it quite high in wear performance, according to the fun tool at Link to Lubrizol's Spider Chart.

I like the discussion on whether it "has to be" a synthetic or not. Notice GM just specified performance and let the oil companies do the rest, although, really, GM also looked at what could be done with a good syn blend currently.

What could be cool is the first oil company to come up with a conventional dino oil that meets dexos1.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Dexos1 is a tougher spec to meet than the standard SN/GF-5, particularly in wear, deposits, and foaming. Lubrizol ranks it quite high in wear performance, according to the fun tool at Link to Lubrizol's Spider Chart.

I like the discussion on whether it "has to be" a synthetic or not. Notice GM just specified performance and let the oil companies do the rest, although, really, GM also looked at what could be done with a good syn blend currently.

What could be cool is the first oil company to come up with a conventional dino oil that meets dexos1.

If it were striclty NOACK based, MS5K and GTX (5w30) would be close according to PQIA numbers. Both are inside the 13%-14% range, not to mention PYB and QSGB in 5w20 under 10%! Of coarse, this may have just been luck of the draw concerning these samples and truly not representative of the standard max for each formulation.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Castrol makes GTX 5w30 Dexos 1 so you can meet DX1 with a "conventional" lube.

No, thats GTX Synblend 5w-30 dexos1 (dexos not capitalized BTW).

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Castrol makes GTX 5w30 Dexos 1 so you can meet DX1 with a "conventional" lube.

No, thats GTX Synblend 5w-30 dexos1 (dexos not capitalized BTW).

LOL... No, i know about the gray bottle. I'm talking about regular white bottle GTX. According to PQIA, the NOACK is below 14% in 5W30 as FetchFar clarified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back