Has anyone ditched W7 for Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested in considering Ubuntu. W7 is given me the [censored].

Going to run it off a disk for a bit to decide.

Load both, dual boot. Ubuntu and Open Office are pretty powerful, but with Windows basically being an industry standard, most users will never be able to totally eliminate it.

I have dabbled with LINUX for several years and my present desk top is set up dual boot with UBUNTU and VISTA (YYCCHHHH). LINUX is much easier to use and has better support for hardware than it used to. My computer runs faster under UBUNTU than it does under VISTA. I am building a new desk top and it will be dual boot Windows 7 and UBUNTU. I have a serious investment in some Windows only compatible software and will have to continue to use it. I also have windows 7 on my laptop and I am not having nearly the problems with it that I had with VISTA. Just curious as to what problems you are finding with 7.

a lot of printer issues, driver issues, long delay in seeing my router. really things that should just work.

I've done it before for about 6 months. So long as you aren't into Games(I am) but at the time was using Wine to play World of Warcraft. It was good, solid and reliable until I messed it more than I should have.

I had the system tweaked and optimized for speed but came across a few more ideas online and it went downhill. WoW never ran as good as it did in Windows and I had to use VirtualBox with a small XP install for Zune support, which I would have to do again for the ipod if i go back).

Originally Posted By: crinkles
a lot of printer issues, driver issues, long delay in seeing my router. really things that should just work.

I have not experienced those issues and have been a long time Linux user. Have two printers and a scanner connected without any problems.

I dual boot in Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 on the desktop and am running Windows Vista and Lubuntu on my laptop.

I highly recommend Linux Mint for those thinking of trying Linux.

It is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu works fine too but requires some knowledge getting things like Java and Flash, etc. Installed. You can always use the Iced Tea plugin rather than Java.

There are several good books on Linux on the market which is a + if you are thinking of trying it.

I spend much of my time in Linux but as mentioned above, Windows 7 does have it's place.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

^^These are problems I had with Ubuntu. I haven't tried the latest version though. Windows 7 has been pretty solid for me though.

Nope. I dual boot with Windows 7 because I'm a developer so I may need a Win32 or Win64 dev. environment. My main operating system is PC-BSD 8.0 - AMD64.

I have been running W7 ultimate since January on my work computer without a single reboot or problem. From a productivity stand point it's worth every penny I paid for it.

I demoed an Ubuntu setup on an HP with touch screen (vista tho); within 5 minutes user begged me to load it. HP printer, scanner worked like a charm (unlike the constantly repeated inaccuracy here) without hunting for any configuration or drivers. The touch screen even worked.

The 4 people I know who run Ubuntu are past the Windows stage, choosing to purchase a Dell with Ubuntu or buying a white box and loading it themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I have not experienced those issues and have been a long time Linux user. Have two printers and a scanner connected without any problems.

Same here. One just has to be cautious as to which printer or scanner one buys. HP, for instance, has huge lists as to what will work perfectly in Linux, what needs a bit of tweaking, and what turns into a paperweight.

Those that turn into paperweights (be it HP or other manufacturers) are often the bottom end of the hardware chain anyhow. A $50 laser printer tends to work like a $50 laser printer should, and one shouldn't expect it to work properly in Windows, let alone Linux. You buy a quality product from a quality manufacturer, and it will work fine.

simple_gifts said:
The 4 people I know who run Ubuntu are past the Windows stage, choosing to purchase a Dell with Ubuntu or buying a white box and loading it themselves.[/quoute]

Same here. My days of helping Mr. Gates get richer ended almost 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back