Harley demand/price curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boraticus
....Nothing was said but there were a lot of dirty looks cast my way and obvious disdain for my presence...

Understandable.

Originally Posted By: grampi
...I only see the attitude flowing from the HD side.

Maybe you could try hanging out with a better crowd.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Honda is still making the 1300 VTX but '08 was the last year for the 1800.

I got a leftover '08 1800 N
002-2.jpg

Nice looking bike! Love the color.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
...I only see the attitude flowing from the HD side.

Maybe you could try hanging out with a better crowd.

Are you suggesting I buy a Harley and start hanging out with other Harley riders? If that's not what you mean, then I don't know what you're suggesting. The people I ride with are fine, upstanding, respectable poeple. The problem stems from the HD riders.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_D
This forum has not limited anybody's free speech.

You can still say or type whatever pops into your head, but they are not obligated to let anyone use their forum as a place to share those views.

I like using a house as an analogy. People have free speech, but are not free to come into your home and say whatever they want. You have the right to ask them to leave. You have not taken away their right to free speech in doing so. They can still go out into the public and say what they want.

This forum has invited all of us into their internet home. They have asked us to be respectful of the other people here. I don't know what their thoughts are on why they moderated some posts, but am guessing, and only guessing, they might feel some people are not being shown an acceptable level of respect.

If so, I agree. Thank you mods!

I know I was pretty critical of the mods in other threads because I felt nothing was being done, but I do appreciate their current involvment.

The reading has been alot more enjoyable lately, IMO.

Jeff

The problem I have with this site (or any site that falls into the same catagory for that matter) isn't that it's moderated, it's the way it's moderated. All sites must have some sort of order and cannot be allowed to simply be a free-for-all. I understand that. What I don't understand is why the moderation isn't doled out to everyone equally. Some are allowed to say pretty much anything they want, while others are not. The metrics vs HD debate is a perfect example. Many people in here have made negative comments about metrics and/or their riders (many of those comments aren't even true, they're made just for the sake of bashing) and this is allowed. However, if someone says anything negative about HD or their riders (even when it's true), it's at least frowned upon, and sometimes the posts are removed, the topic is closed, and the poster is banned. There's nothing wrong with posters having negative things to say as long as it doesn't get personal or profane. The whole point of having discussions is to air out people's differences and if possible, turn the negatives into positives. That can't be accomplished if literally everything is censored out. And if it's absolutely necessary to delete posts or ban posters, do it fairly so the rules apply equally to everyone, not just to those on one side of an issue.

Are you suggesting I buy a Harley and start hanging out with other Harley riders? If that's not what you mean, then I don't know what you're suggesting. The people I ride with are fine, upstanding, respectable poeple. The problem stems from the HD riders.

Simply meant try to avoid folks who intimidate you or make you uncomfortable. Making generalizations about a group of people who happen to own a certain product only makes you seem narrow-minded.

Simply meant try to avoid folks who intimidate you or make you uncomfortable. Making generalizations about a group of people who happen to own a certain product only makes you seem narrow-minded.

I report what I see. If I saw more HD riders being friendly and non-judgemental, that's what I'd report, but that isn't what I see most of the time.

Last edited:
Ok boys let's play nice now...everyone knows we all ride different motorcycles. Nice VTX allowe. I wish I had a few extra bucks right now because a local dealer has a sweet 07 1800 just sitting there.

But we all have to stop this ridiculous brand bashing here. Every thread turns into a metric versus harley slugfest which is really uncalled for.

Can't we just all get along......
grin2.gif

I report what I see. If I saw more HD riders being friendly and non-judgemental, that's what I'd report, but that isn't what I see most of the time.

Fair enough. I just don't see a lot of the unfriendliness. Even during Bike Week in Daytona I've not taken any grief for riding my BMW or Honda. There were a few obnoxious, inebriated folks who appeared to me Harley enthusiasts, but they would probably be jerks no matter what brand they rode.

....Nothing was said but there were a lot of dirty looks cast my way and obvious disdain for my presence...

Understandable.

Why? Is it because they'd be afraid that a little 35 year old 400cc Yamaha would out-perform them?

Understandable.

Why? Is it because they'd be afraid that a little 35 year old 400cc Yamaha would out-perform them?

No, it was that ring-ding-ding-ding-ring-ring-ring exhaust note.....
crackmeup2.gif

27.gif

Last edited:
Here's Momma's Indian.
Mommas_Indian.jpg

That's your wife's bike? I'm trying to talk my wife into riding and I told he I'd get her either an M90 or a 1300VTX. Either would make a nice ride for her.

Understandable.

crackmeup2.gif

27.gif

I had one of the old Kaw 500 triples with expansion chambers on it and it sounded bad a$$!

Yeah - that's the wife. She's the reason that we currently have five motorcycles. She's got the affliction worse than I do.

Now about that Kaw - didn't it have a certain growl - along with the ring-ding-ring? When you opened them up - sounded like a four-barreled carb kicking in....

Understandable.

crackmeup2.gif

27.gif

Actually, I doubt it. One little two stroke in with ten or more straight pipe Harleys wouldn't even be heard. I'd say they were afraid of the little bee's sting!

"Now about that Kaw - didn't it have a certain growl - along with the ring-ding-ring? When you opened them up - sounded like a four-barreled carb kicking in...."

High performance two strokes have quite a bit of intake noise. I know that when I open up the Yamahas, I don't hear the exhaust. The rider hears mostly intake honk.

Different expansion chambers also make different sounds. I have a set of DG chambers on the RD400. They have a real nice rumble to them at lower rpms but screech when spun up to 10000 rpm. The RD350 has higher performance race tuned chambers that snap, crackle and pop at low rpms but really wail when on the pipe.

They were runnin' little fellas. I never owned the 400 but I had two of the RD350's. Very lightweight and better hold on when they "came on the pipe".

Do they even make two-stroke bikes anymore? I see all four strokes at the local scrambles and moto-x races....

Even outboard motors are going four-stroke.

We recently "worked over" a 1972 Kawasaki 90. It had 2,000 original miles on it and (believe it or not) an oil injection system. Light rust on the rims but it cleaned up very well. Stainless steel fenders. Don't remember ever seeing them in stainless steel. Six speeds and the shift pattern was all "up". Sure brought back memories.

Last edited:
They were runnin' little fellas. I never owned the 400 but I had two of the RD350's. Very lightweight and better hold on when they "came on the pipe".

Do they even make two-stroke bikes anymore? I see all four strokes at the local scrambles and moto-x races....

Even outboard motors are going four-stroke.

You know what the old 350s were capable of. Now add approx. 15 more h.p. (37% increase), reduce 25 lbs. of weight and picture what they're like when they come on the pipe! It's like a light switch. Not for the uninitiated.

With the state of the art programable electronic ignition systems I've put in them as well as slight head modifications, they run much cooler and never have spark plug fouling issues. They're really neat little bikes and handle much better than most riders could ever hope to run them at. Wouldn't want to run one across the country though.

I'm not aware of any two stroke street bikes sold in North America. Some dirt bike manufacturers still produce and sell two stroke off road machines. KTM, Husqvarna, Gas Gas, for instance. Not sure if the Japanese are making off road two strokes anymore.

Evinrude/Johnson (Bombardier), still make two stroke outboard and snowmobile engines.

The E-Tec series are wonderful pieces of two stroke technology. Very powerful, light weight and fuel efficient. With EFI and ECU technology, they are considerably more complicated than the old carbureted two strokes. I'd still love to see a two stroke engine in a general purpose motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back