Harbor Freight = Epic Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
There is one thing Snap On will not warranty: Anything worn out.I have heard of cases dealers whom would not warranty anything worn including the dealer my father had and were told to break it to the customer.
Been there done that with Snap-On. I guess they don't care if the tool is worn out and unusable as long as it's not broken.

I've had a Craftsman socket split like that as well as a few where the chrome peeled off and was so sharp I cut my finger to the bone on it! Just returned them for new ones. I noticed also that that socket was a Pittsburg. I have to say that I have a nice set of Pittsburg screwdrivers that are NICER than my Snap on and Craftsman sets! Amazing value there and lifetime warranty. Everyone makes a dud once in a while, just return it for another and see what happens.

I've become quite talented at breaking worn out Snap on tools without leaving vise marks on them so they'll get replaced.

Heck I just had to have a 30mm 1/2" drive Matco Socket and a Snap-On 15mm 3/8" drive swivel socket both impact recently due to breakage. Happens.

I looked at the Sanpan and Rice Patty sockets you have and thought to myself no freak'n way..... Sorry will spend more for at least Craftsman.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Was that an impact socket or just a black socket?

Snap-on's warranty is probably for defects/workmanship, not wear.

Impact socket.

I have a couple sets of HF impacts and so does a friend of mine and we haven't had a problem with them yet anyway. At least with us though the store is right here about 5 min. away.

I have some Snap-On tools I scored at a yard sale, great tools. Most of my other tools are Craftsman, and I've been very happy with them. Any problems I walk into the local Sears store less than 10 minutes from the house and they make it right. I'm waiting on some out of stock wobble extensions, and that will pretty much make my set complete. For now!

HF tools are cheap. I use their screw drivers for work, if a guy gets one lost or uses it for a pry-bar it doesn't bother me as much.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
sometimes its good to buy quality it took me a long time but i know know i should have listened to my Father when he said he likes Craftsman and snap on..

I am currently in the market for a new set of Snap-On sockets.
I would have to agree that Harbor Freight tools at best are worth what you pay for them. That being said I have broken a few Snap on sockets and wrenches but that was severe conditions. Snap on and Craftsman are good tools . Snap on for work , Craftsman for home.

I have some snap-on sockets from the 50s... used in a machine shop, then by my grandfather, and then by my father... still going strong. I also have some cheapo sockets... Alltrade, Taya, etc that are going strong too, but haven't been used very hard.

My general impression is that they don't make them like they used to.

But I'm all for Harbor Freight tools when it's not super important that they last years. I bought some plastic door panel pry tools from them for $3.99 that removed the plastic plug holding part of my dash on without a problem. Other places wanted $15-20 for a similar tool.

Originally Posted By: jdeare

But I'm all for Harbor Freight tools when it's not super important that they last years.

....and thats the beauty of Harbor Freight. Not everyone needs "pro" quality tools that they can pass on to their grandkids. I bought a $59 on special pneumatic nailer to use when I built my fence a couple years ago and it worked great. My arm would have fallen off after 3500 nails. Love their pneumatic cutoff tools as well. $7.99 on special, and you toss them when they wear out and grab another.

Know what to expect (or what not to expect) and you won't be disappointed. Never, never buy any tool there that your safety depends on (jackstands etc).

I purchased a 3 ton jack for $69
27.gif
The thing literally weights 3 tons.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
That being said I have broken a few Snap on sockets and wrenches but that was severe conditions. Snap on and Craftsman are good tools. Snap on for work, Craftsman for home.

New sockets broke from Snap-On & Craftsman? These were new HF sockets.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: jdeare

But I'm all for Harbor Freight tools when it's not super important that they last years.

....and thats the beauty of Harbor Freight. Not everyone needs "pro" quality tools that they can pass on to their grandkids. I bought a $59 on special pneumatic nailer to use when I built my fence a couple years ago and it worked great. My arm would have fallen off after 3500 nails. Love their pneumatic cutoff tools as well. $7.99 on special, and you toss them when they wear out and grab another.

Know what to expect (or what not to expect) and you won't be disappointed. Never, never buy any tool there that your safety depends on (jackstands etc).

HF air tools are great for doing stuff at home. The cheaper impacts don't put out the torque that an IR or Snap-On will but who normally needs 700ft lbs to rotate the tires on a Kia anyway?

I had a Pittsburgh wrench break and fly past my head years ago. I was lucky. I went to Lowes and bought a set of Kobalt sockets and wrenches. However, newer stuff at Harbor Freight seems better quality. I like there breaker bars.

I had the exact same thing occur with a Pittsburg 17mm socket when trying to remove a tire-monkey-over-torqued lug by hand with a breaker bar. Probably the same set.

Considering the cost was about $12, it didn't bother me too much. The other sizes I used on a suspension swap with impact wrench are fine.

Does HF really warranty these? The closest one is about 40 mi. away, so I've never really felt the urge to make the drive just to find out.

Most hand tools I buy from H/F have a slip of paper in the package giving me a lifetime warrenty. Check their web site for info.

Anyone have experience with Northern Tools 'Olympia' brand of tools? They seem to look more high quality than the HFT sockets and wrenchs. Yes, I know you can't always go by looks. I have Olympia sets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" and the finish is excellent, but I haven't put them to any extreme test yet.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Does HF really warranty these?

Their current adds are touting a lifetime warranty on their hand tools.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back