Had a question about Purolator PureOne Filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a few Purolator PureOne filters ($5.99) for my honda CRV. I also picked up some Exxon Superflo 5W30 ($1.59) because Pepboys don't carry 5W-20 and K-Mart was out.

My question is should I change the PureOne oil filter every oil change or should I change it every other oil change? How long do PureOne filters last under normal daily driving conditions?

At $6 per oil change, I think it's very cheap insurance to change the filter each and every time you change the oil.

The PureOne can go 10,000 miles, question is, can your oil?

You picked one of the best filters out there, so enjoy it and keep 'em fresh at every OCI.

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:
At $6 per oil change, I think it's very cheap insurance to change the filter each and every time you change the oil.

The PureOne can go 10,000 miles, question is, can your oil?

You picked one of the best filters out there, so enjoy it and keep 'em fresh at every OCI.

Darryl

I intend to change the oil ever 4-5K. I wanted to know is if I should change the filter every other oil change since the PureOne is a great filter. I see your point. It is cheap insurance to change it every time. I ask because it's hard to find them in stock sometimes. I picked up the 3 they had on the shelf.

The manual for my car says to change the oil at 7,500 miles and the flter at 15,000 miles.

I run Mobil 1 10,000 miles and use a Pure One filter.

I recently took apart a Pure One filter and was pretty impressed with the media. Although you could probably skip the filter change, I say why bother. Just do it.

However I guess that there's a new case that could be made for skipping the filter change. (from the oil thread). The old filter will obviously have old oil in it that has well oxidized ZDDP's. And we all know that oxidized ZDDP's from old oil creates less engine wear then new oil. Maybe the oxidized ZDDP's in the old filter will do their thing until the new oil get's "broken in".
smile.gif

I always wondered why the 60s 70s recommendation to change the filter every other oil change morphed into every change without any science saying to do it that way

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
I always wondered why the 60s 70s recommendation to change the filter every other oil change morphed into every change without any science saying to do it that way

Because materials in 60s and 70s were cheap and filters could be built like a tank and last. Unlike today.

Hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
Because materials in 60s and 70s were cheap and filters could be built like a tank and last. Unlike today.

Hootbro

Don't forget the huge filters as compared to the shot glasses now a days.

Personally, I don't care what purolator advertises, but I'd be changing the filter more often than the oil. A clogged filter is more dangerous in my eyes than old oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back