Guide me in buying a firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thought, Marlin means lever guns around these parts? Perhaps a 39a lever action 22 or one of the center fire lever offerings if thats an option?

Another vote for a Savage in .223 as ammo for it should be very inexpensive. If ammo availability is somehow an issue you might look at a .308, which is what my favourite rifle is chambered in (Savage 10 FCP-K).

This gun
gueC2SKog_qhapv1Ct8.png

is sold as a package and you should be able to pick it up for a good price. The optics won't be great but will be good for what you are using it for until you decide you want something better.

Gander Mountain lists it for about $650.00 BTW.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How is .223 compared to .22 for availability and pricing?

I will have to double check to make sure .223 can legally be purchased. I'm sure there's some association between Newtown and .223 ... AR-15 has been banned outright by name.

My main reason for going with bolt action is so I don't inadvertently end up buying an "assault" rifle.

I think you think the SAFE act is more restrictive than it actually is.

AFAIK, no ammo has been banned, and certainly not .223. Maybe armor-piercing, but not your run of the mill lead-core stuff.

Also, you can still buy an AR-15, but it can't have a pistol grip or a magazine larger than 10 rounds, or a bayonet mount.

To your first question, .223 is readily available, and relatively cheap as far as centerfire goes, but it's more expensive than .22LR (which is about the cheapest thing going).

Consider learning how to Reload.

Lee Starter Kits are affordable and fun, And rolling your own Ammo is not hard at all and very rewarding.

I would look in to a lever action in either .357Mag or .44Mag.

Easy to load for and Cast lead bullets are not expensive.

Down the road you can make a nice kit by getting a Revolver in the same caliber too.

For a .22 bolt action I'd recommend the Ruger American .22. Nice build quality. Under $300. Very common 10/22 mags. And you're not going to outgrow it.
Ruger

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm looking to buy a rifle and join a range. I have always enjoyed shooting, but never had a rifle of my own.

Have spent a lot of time at ranges with my parents' firearms or friends. Now it's time for me to get something.

I am looking for:
- Rifle
- Bolt Action (NY SAFE Act bullsnot - bolt action rifles can not be considered "assault" weapons)
- Cheap, starter rifle
- Small caliber, cheap rounds

I mentioned .22 in another thread - but it's still super hard to come by here.

Any thoughts?

I would buy:
1. Savage axis in 223 or a 110 in 223
2. Buy walmart 223 ammo
3. Another option is to buy a package savage 223 with scope, should run about 350$.

223 is a great round and you can find ammo easily.

+1. I have a Savage model 110 in .30-06 and its a good shooter. .223 will be a good fiscal choice and can hunt small(er) game.

My go to plinking and varmint rifle is a Marlin 25MN in 22 magnum. I'm sure they make an updated version of it now. That rifle is just stupid accurate. Most of my friends that have shot it go out and buy one or attempt to find one for themselves.

Originally Posted By: hatt
For a .22 bolt action I'd recommend the Ruger American .22. Nice build quality. Under $300. Very common 10/22 mags. And you're not going to outgrow it.
Ruger

I recently bought a 10/22 actually and still prefer my SS Savage MK II over it. No, it isn't as fast and I can't do 25 round "as fast as you can pull the trigger" bursts, but it is more accurate and a nicer feeling gun IMHO.

I own 5 Savage rifles and one Ruger. My next gun will be another Savage. Just bought a "Rascal" for my little guy to learn on (made in Lakefield, Ontario). My three higher $$$ Savage guns, 10 FCP-K, 110BA and 10 PC are all some of the nicest guns I've shot. And I love the Accutrigger. May not be everybody's cup of tea, but Savage has won my business based on those rifles.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
If you want a real rifle and want to shoot at a range don't get a darn .22...

Get a Savage (or any other for that matter) .243 bolt action. Great round, ammo is relatively cheap and it is deadly accurate at long range. This round is so versatile you can do almost anything with it. It offers very little recoil and yet packs enough punch to allow you to hunt with it if you ever want to try that.

Just stay away from the walmart Remington 770 things, they are cheap and absolute horrible most of the time.

Also might want to consider a .223 bolt rifle, it is a cheap round, pretty accurate and can be had up to 70+ grain bullet weights for small game hunting, good plinking.

I agree. If you only want a centerfire bolt action rifle to shoot on the range get a Savage in .223 and if you plan to hunt get the .243. It is now easy to find .223 ammo in my area, not as cheap as .22 LR but cheap for centerfire (especially imported steel case .223). There are several Savage Axis models available; camo stock, packaged with a scope already mounted, and it can now be had with the Accutrigger (worth the money). The Axis is an inexpensive rifle but has an excellent reputation for accuracy, as do all Savages. My Model 10 shoots dime sized groups at 100 yds. if I do my part.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
[/quote]

I recently bought a 10/22 actually and still prefer my SS Savage MK II over it. No, it isn't as fast and I can't do 25 round "as fast as you can pull the trigger" bursts, but it is more accurate and a nicer feeling gun IMHO.

I own 5 Savage rifles and one Ruger. My next gun will be another Savage. Just bought a "Rascal" for my little guy to learn on (made in Lakefield, Ontario). My three higher $$$ Savage guns, 10 FCP-K, 110BA and 10 PC are all some of the nicest guns I've shot. And I love the Accutrigger. May not be everybody's cup of tea, but Savage has won my business based on those rifles.
smile.gif

Ruger American .22 has little in common with a 10/22 other than the mag. It feels like a centerfire bolt action. I'm not familiar with that Savage so I can't comment.

U.S. M-1 Carbine.

Cast your own & reload. Half the price of .22's, if you could find any aside of from the scalpers.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
If you want a real rifle and want to shoot at a range don't get a darn .22...

Get a Savage (or any other for that matter) .243 bolt action. Great round, ammo is relatively cheap and it is deadly accurate at long range. This round is so versatile you can do almost anything with it. It offers very little recoil and yet packs enough punch to allow you to hunt with it if you ever want to try that.

Just stay away from the walmart Remington 770 things, they are cheap and absolute horrible most of the time.

Also might want to consider a .223 bolt rifle, it is a cheap round, pretty accurate and can be had up to 70+ grain bullet weights for small game hunting, good plinking.

I agree. If you only want a centerfire bolt action rifle to shoot on the range get a Savage in .223 and if you plan to hunt get the .243. It is now easy to find .223 ammo in my area, not as cheap as .22 LR but cheap for centerfire (especially imported steel case .223). There are several Savage Axis models available; camo stock, packaged with a scope already mounted, and it can now be had with the Accutrigger (worth the money). The Axis is an inexpensive rifle but has an excellent reputation for accuracy, as do all Savages. My Model 10 shoots dime sized groups at 100 yds. if I do my part.

I still say .223. If you're good enough with your shots you can take just about anything a .243 would do, and the price of .223 is less than half of .243 (in my area it's $8.99 for 20 rds of 223 and $19.99 for 20 rds of .243.).

.223 .243 30-06 all good, cheaper ammo is the way to go. I have a fancyass Weatherby Mag I haven't shot in a decade because the ammo is $3.50 a pop.

While I'd recommend an M44 or 91/30 if you simply want to be cheap and have fun, I don't really care for them. They are often not all that accurate, and the quality of the components falls far short of modern standards. Ammo choices are limited and so on.

Here is my take on the "rifle" thing. Get a 308. It can be amazingly accurate, it's available everywhere, (you prob won't go through "tons-o-ammo" with a bolt action so cost is probably not a big factor) and there are many great rifle choices.

Find a rifle that fits you, your budget and your style. Then go have fun.

I like accurate, heavy barrel 308's with 24 inch barrels. The accuracy is a big "fun factor" to me.

Looks like it may be a Remington 700. Found a few locally , new , for a good price. .223 rounds are actually available. I was pricing .22 and no one had them.

I wouldn't let a short term problem dictate the purchase. .22 will be available. I'm sure you can find some in the area, maybe a little high. .223 is going to guarantee you'll be paying $.30/round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back