Grow Up, Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm generally sympathetic to union goals. This is being just absurd. Just since it has a Big 3 nameplate on it doesn't mean anything these days. I laughed when reading the Camry has a higher domestic parts content than an F-150. If they're so pro-US, they should pick a tough fight and organize some of the plants in the Southeast.

If unions truly wanted to protect workers who need protection from essentially slave labor then any other workers, they should unionize over the road truck drivers.

Unions are more interested in political power then anything else at this point. The long standing union workers like the Teamsters have it made, but unions aren't representing the modern workforce who are getting shafted.

Also, for the record, this has been around for 30+ years. My dad used to drive a Celica and they wouldn't let him park it in the parking lot at American Motors (he worked for Bosch, a supplier).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What a joke.

As one person said, freedom of choice is American.

Quote:
United Auto Workers President Bob King this month reiterated the union's longstanding policy to ban nonunion vehicles on UAW property, ....

I thought setting your own rules on your own property was american.

Originally Posted By: Win
I thought setting your own rules on your own property was american.

It is. I don't think anyone's arguing that what Mr. King is doing should be illegal; simply that it's a childish thing to do.

The line between domestic and import has blurred so much that this is a joke. A Geo Prizm may carry the domestic GM name tag, but its 100% Toyota otherwise. My built in Canada Corolla is about as domestic as it gets here. It had no influence on my decision to buy it.

Between the lines so blurred between 'domestic' and 'foreign' these days, that sort of patriotic appeal is the worst kind of cheap marketing gimmick out there. 'Domestic' began to lose any real world meaning sometime in the '80s. And that's where it belongs.

Aside from that, the freedom we cherish includes the freedom to spend our money as we see fit. Being coerced to 'buy domestic', particularly in our 21st century global free market, is the kind of thinking that would be better suited to the former Bolshevik USSR - where freedom, particularly in spending choices, was something the common man could only dream of - provided he could see through the nationalistic propaganda he is born into and bombarded with on a daily basis.

Bob King should doesn't seem too familiar with the US Constitution. Either that or he's one of those types who likes to be selective in its usage, and use only what suits his agenda while ignoring the aspects that don't.

If I worked at Burger King, would that mean my diet would have to consist solely of BK and nothing else? Or just while on company time - eat BK exclusively during your 40 hour work week or starve.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
The line between domestic and import has blurred so much that this is a joke. A Geo Prizm may carry the domestic GM name tag, but its 100% Toyota otherwise. My built in Canada Corolla is about as domestic as it gets here. It had no influence on my decision to buy it.

Between the lines so blurred between 'domestic' and 'foreign' these days, that sort of patriotic appeal is the worst kind of cheap marketing gimmick out there. 'Domestic' began to lose any real world meaning sometime in the '80s. And that's where it belongs.

Aside from that, the freedom we cherish includes the freedom to spend our money as we see fit. Being coerced to 'buy domestic', particularly in our 21st century global free market, is the kind of thinking that would be better suited to the former Bolshevik USSR - where freedom, particularly in spending choices, was something the common man could only dream of - provided he could see through the nationalistic propaganda he is born into and bombarded with on a daily basis.

Bob King should doesn't seem too familiar with the US Constitution. Either that or he's one of those types who likes to be selective in its usage, and use only what suits his agenda while ignoring the aspects that don't.

If I worked at Burger King, would that mean my diet would have to consist solely of BK and nothing else? Or just while on company time - eat BK exclusively during your 40 hour work week or starve.

-Spyder

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Spyder

I always like to point out that domestic companies like to tell us to "buy American", yet they turn around and buy expensive factory tooling from overseas!

I also wonder how the UAW represents it's membership against the company when they own the company!

Slight conflict of interest there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Perhaps it is just a perception, but it does seem to me that some of the Euro companies DO treat their employees better overall than US ones though... Not sure if that is truly the case overall, and it would be a very tough thing to truly get a grasp of...

I can attest to that.I worked for German companies since leaving school in 1974 and can tell you the benefits,protection,financial benefits when out of work sick and 30 working days (6 weeks) vacation are the norm,the money is also good.
U.S. companies are for the most part not very generous,maybe this is the reason labor unions feel the need to hold a razor to the throats of these blood suckers who treat their good employees like disposable items to be used up and thrown out.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If unions truly wanted to protect workers who need protection from essentially slave labor then any other workers, they should unionize over the road truck drivers.

Unions are more interested in political power then anything else at this point. The long standing union workers like the Teamsters have it made, but unions aren't representing the modern workforce who are getting shafted.

I thought thats what the Teamster were "doing"... Remember the big truckers strike in the 70's?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There seems to be a large group of people in this country who think that the only way to encourage the growth of something you love is to stifle everything else. I feel like we should ship them to North Korea for a few months so they can see what that's like in practice.

Yes, or Japan for that matter.
wink.gif

Teamsters don't represent over the road drivers, they represent a few but dwindling LTL carriers, UPS package car and freight drivers, a few garbage workers, and a few food distribution drivers.

Well, they did represent all truck drivers essentially when the industry was regulated back in the 70s.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There seems to be a large group of people in this country who think that the only way to encourage the growth of something you love is to stifle everything else. I feel like we should ship them to North Korea for a few months so they can see what that's like in practice.

Yes, or Japan for that matter.
wink.gif

Japan isn't like that.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I also wonder how the UAW represents it's membership against the company when they own the company!

Slight conflict of interest there.

Having been a former, non-compulsory union member (USW) I feel that sentiment but with slight twist. One day the union stewards are fighting tooth and nail with the company execs over some minor quibble and the next day they are flying to DC for a lobbying campaign on behalf of the company and union. All the time, I'm helping pay for the time they spend not at their job.

All that to say they are used to this rather two-faced approach to business, as long as it benefits themselves.

In retrospect, the unions owning part or all of the company might be the best thing to happen to worker/management conflicts in the modern era. The turn around time on realizing who is to blame is much faster.

Clark

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ClarkB
In retrospect, the unions owning part or all of the company might be the best thing to happen to worker/management conflicts in the modern era. The turn around time on realizing who is to blame is much faster.

Good call.

"King wrote that U.S.-based automakers directly employ nearly 300,000 workers -- about two-thirds of all U.S. autoworkers. He also noted the vehicles made by the Detroit Big Three overall use a higher percentage of parts made by domestic workers."

He's right, but I fail to see what the UAW has to do with this.
21.gif
If anything, this is in spite of the UAW.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
"King wrote that U.S.-based automakers directly employ nearly 300,000 workers -- about two-thirds of all U.S. autoworkers. He also noted the vehicles made by the Detroit Big Three overall use a higher percentage of parts made by domestic workers."

He's right, but I fail to see what the UAW has to do with this.
21.gif
If anything, this is in spite of the UAW.

My thoughts exactly!

Ah, bigotry and nationalism. The fundamental values of history's most colossal [cute comment but not on BITOG].
33.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back