Grow Up, Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a joke.

As one person said, freedom of choice is American.

Quote:
United Auto Workers President Bob King this month reiterated the union's longstanding policy to ban nonunion vehicles on UAW property, but did so in a more hands-on and publicly forceful fashion that separates him from his predecessors.

"Buying a U.S./UAW vehicle makes a difference," King wrote in a two-page rebuttal to a blog post written in July by a Kansas City Business Journal reporter who was recently ousted from the parking lot of UAW Local 249 for driving a Toyota Camry.

A UAW spokeswoman said the international union didn't have any further comment than what King said in the letter.

Advertisement

The reporter, James Dornbrook, wrote he was forced to move his car by a UAW local member who refused to identify himself. The local represents members of Ford Motor Co.'s Kansas City assembly plant.

Dornbrook also noted his Camry was assembled at Toyota's Georgetown, Ky., factory and had more American-made parts in it than the Ford F-150 built at the Kansas City plant, "which recently got knocked off the Cars.com American-made Index's top 10 list" by the Camry.

King decided to use the incident as a "teaching moment" and wrote the long impassioned letter, addressed directly to the reporter.

Many UAW locals, as well as the Solidarity House headquarters in Detroit, post signs that say they don't allow nonunion vehicles in their parking lots.

Five years ago, the policy resulted in a firestorm of public criticism when the UAW kicked out Marine Corps reservists with foreign cars or who displayed pro-President George W. Bush bumper stickers from the Solidarity House parking lot. The 1st Battalion, 24th Marines have an office near the UAW headquarters.

Within two days, UAW President Ron Gettelfinger dropped the union's policy for the Marines.

"I made the wrong call on the parking issue, and I have notified the Marine Corps that all reservists are welcome to park at Solidarity House as they have for the past 10 years," Gettelfinger said in a mid-March 2005 statement.

King, elected as UAW president in mid-June, has made it clear that he intends to keep the nonunion vehicle ban policy, including in the Kansas City area.

In the letter, he again charged that foreign automakers deny their U.S. workers the right to organize -- an accusation the automakers deny.

"Foreign automakers accept U.S taxpayer's dollars in incentives to build assembly plants in the United States, jeopardizing the future of middle-class workers in the domestic auto industry," King wrote.

The UAW's message may fare better this time around, said David Reynolds, a labor professor at Wayne State University.

"In these harsh economic times, it is important to note the real difference of UAW-made Big Three vehicles," Reynolds said. "There seems to be a better understanding of buying products and supporting companies that benefit local communities."

King wrote that U.S.-based automakers directly employ nearly 300,000 workers -- about two-thirds of all U.S. autoworkers. He also noted the vehicles made by the Detroit Big Three overall use a higher percentage of parts made by domestic workers.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100819/AUTO01/8190362/1148/rss25#ixzz0xPZkIdQM

http://detnews.com/article/20100819/AUTO01/8190362/1148/rss25

Non-union car?

That reminds me of the guy that rode a motorcycle into a drive-in and they told him they didn't serve motorcycles.

He replied "That's OK, my motorcycle isn't hungry, but I'll have a hamburger and a coffee."

hhhmmmmmm

Kinda sounds similar to a Harley / Honda dispute - right down to the 'Domestic Parts' argument.

Freedom of choice - buy what you want, drive what you want.

BTW, I had a Camry for many years = most reliable and longest-lasting car i've ever had. I only sold it (still running) because I got tired of it.

Can a ford made in Mexico park there or how about a Toyota made Vibe, or a Corolla made at NUMMI, which was a union plant.

"SHHHHHHHSH" Mike.....
45.gif
56.gif

Typical "cut off your nose to spite your face" attitude that has so endeared me to unions. n many cases they are obsolete relics of America's industrial infancy. Once used to protect workers in a deregulated industrial complex, now used to fatten the wallets of fools that make rules like this...

Why is it that unions are not pleased until they strangle their respective industry? This is the sort of short sighted buffoon that has the public at large fed up with the UAW.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Typical "cut off your nose to spite your face" attitude that has so endeared me to unions. n many cases they are obsolete relics of America's industrial infancy. Once used to protect workers in a deregulated industrial complex, now used to fatten the wallets of fools that make rules like this...

+1 -- And they still havent figured that one out yet....

Quote:
"Foreign automakers accept U.S taxpayer's dollars in incentives to build assembly plants in the United States, jeopardizing the future of middle-class workers in the domestic auto industry," King wrote.

Uh.....

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Quote:

Uh.....

They actually do. State and local governments pay Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc to build plants in there states, or give them tax breaks.

Anyway, I don't mind the UAW, but Bob has his head stuck too far up his rear.

I'm all for buying domestic products when possible, and most things I do my best to do so. A car is too big a purchase to not get exactly what I want, and since, for example, domestic manufacturers rarely meet our desires to offer an MT in their vehicles of any sort, we have to look elsewhere.

I am more or less against Unions - some of what they do and fight for IS good. Certain elements of time off, benefits, etc. But, just like anything, those demands get too big, turn piggish, and then they are unsustainable. Anything unsustainable is inferior and unacceptable.

What interested me is that when I picked up my 135i and took a tour of the BMW plant in SC, they are non-union, and have had only 3% labor turnover in the whole time they have been open. To me this means that they treat their employees equitably. Perhaps it is just a perception, but it does seem to me that some of the Euro companies DO treat their employees better overall than US ones though... Not sure if that is truly the case overall, and it would be a very tough thing to truly get a grasp of...

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Quote:

Uh.....

They actually do. State and local governments pay Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc to build plants in there states, or give them tax breaks.

The foreign names take money, but so do the domestics. Bob is not particularly grounded in the disgust of those not impressed with the bailouts, and flapping his lips rather arrogantly.

I agree with Nick on both counts. It's disheartening to see Michigan give tax breaks to woo Toyota, yet existing businesses have to pay full share.

Otherwise, the UAW mindset is too myopic.

This reminds me of another incident where the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) wanted to ban foreign nameplates from their headquarter's parking lot... until someone pointed out that this is an international organization.

There seems to be a large group of people in this country who think that the only way to encourage the growth of something you love is to stifle everything else. I feel like we should ship them to North Korea for a few months so they can see what that's like in practice.

Quote:

Uh.....

The foreign names take money, but so do the domestics. Bob is not particularly grounded in the disgust of those not impressed with the bailouts, and flapping his lips rather arrogantly.

What a complete hypocritical fool; blaming "foreign" car companies for taking tax payer money, when his own frikkin union was bailed out by taxpayers and the biggest company his unions represents, took over $ 40 billion from us taxpayers?

The UAW may have taken some wage cuts, but their workers are STILL grossly overpaid compared to the private labor market and the skill most of these workers have.

So are they going to allow Ford's with Mazda engines on the property?

Chrysler's with Mitsu engines?

GM's with Toyota engines?

33.gif
Give me a break!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What a complete hypocritical fool; blaming "foreign" car companies for taking tax payer money, when his own frikkin union was bailed out by taxpayers and the biggest company his unions represents, took over $ 40 billion from us taxpayers?

The UAW may have taken some wage cuts, but their workers are STILL grossly overpaid compared to the private labor market and the skill most of these workers have.

You are of course right. But this line of reasoning, as well as the point about foreign-made "domestic" cars and union-made "foreign" cars, are exactly the kinds of things that it is in the best interest of the UAW's leadership to ignore. They obviously are not fighting for anything as lowly as the rights of workers. They are fighting for supremacy in a conflict that they fabricated, in which auto makers and their customers are enemies to be overcome, rather than partners to work with and hearts and minds to win over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back