Green Earth Technology Oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it appeal to you? Is it the buzzword or?

IMHO all automotive lubricants are the same no matter how "green" they want to portray their products.

And no, I don't have any experience with them nor do I care. I just stick to my environmentally-unfriendly ways of getting OTC national brands and when done, I make sure that I pass them to the proper collection facilities for processing.

Originally Posted By: Quest

IMHO all automotive lubricants are the same no matter how "green" they want to portray their products.

And no, I don't have any experience with them nor do I care. I just stick to my environmentally-unfriendly ways of getting OTC national brands and when done, I make sure that I pass them to the proper collection facilities for processing.

No personal interest at all, just thought it was unique. I still use synthetics in all my cars.

Feff

Is is plant derived like ester or animal based like the old whale oil that was outlawed many years ago? I can't tell. No product data sheets?

while I'm not a fully-committed environmentalist (used to tree-hugging), my effort has shifted elsewhere these days and mainly towards the direction of minimising carbon footprint per living human being (during their lifetime of activities) and one of the things that I practice/preach is to ensure that oils, lubricants, etc. gets recycled and re-processed properly (instead of some back-end quicklubers/collection facilities dumping it in the storm drain. No matter how "green" these GreenEArthTech guys would try to portray their products to be "green", they still either (a) purchase their base lubricants from major/national oil refineries which still pollutes during the cracking/refining process, and (b)purchase additives from national suppliers such as Lubrizol, etc. and get a knowledgeable blender to blend the oil, or (c) re-badge some oils to their own brand and call the day.

No matter how you dice it: truth is, oil is still a dirty word and in no way they can minimise their footprint and call themselves green. We are all polluters during our living on earth.

Q.

Also: because of scale of production, getting things like ester, etc. from non national suppliers usually ended up costing magnitudes more due to the scale of purchasing, and guess they would have no choice but to pass that onto customers while bearing the name "green"?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Feffman

No personal interest at all, just thought it was unique. I still use synthetics in all my cars.

Feff

But a true synthetic (Group IV,V) is pretty green right? It's just that you don't see Red Line hyping it as such. They are more interesteed in performance. Those nasty group IIIs are still originating from crude though.
wink.gif
Be kind of cool if it was animal based and I could sick PETA on them just to watch and be entertained.

while I'm not a fully-committed environmentalist (used to tree-hugging), my effort has shifted elsewhere these days and mainly towards the direction of minimising carbon footprint per living human being (during their lifetime of activities) and one of the things that I practice/preach is to ensure that oils, lubricants, etc. gets recycled and re-processed properly (instead of some back-end quicklubers/collection facilities dumping it in the storm drain. No matter how "green" these GreenEArthTech guys would try to portray their products to be "green", they still either (a) purchase their base lubricants from major/national oil refineries which still pollutes during the cracking/refining process, and (b)purchase additives from national suppliers such as Lubrizol, etc. and get a knowledgeable blender to blend the oil, or (c) re-badge some oils to their own brand and call the day.

No matter how you dice it: truth is, oil is still a dirty word and in no way they can minimise their footprint and call themselves green. We are all polluters during our living on earth.

Q.

Also: because of scale of production, getting things like ester, etc. from non national suppliers usually ended up costing magnitudes more due to the scale of purchasing, and guess they would have no choice but to pass that onto customers while bearing the name "green"?!

Exactly oil is oil even if it has green written on it or not. Like myself I am trying to being as green as possible with the car products I purchase and for me thats making sure all of the waste that leaves my car(oil, tranny fluid,coolant, battery...ect) is properly taken care of at the end of it life cycle. I wish more people would recycle more car producst at the end instead of throwing batteries in the trash or seeing people leaving it all over the parking lot outside the local auto parts store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

But a true synthetic (Group IV,V) is pretty green right? It's just that you don't see Red Line hyping it as such. They are more interesteed in performance. Those nasty group IIIs are still originating from crude though.
wink.gif
Be kind of cool if it was animal based and I could sick PETA on them just to watch and be entertained.

An energy intensive "green". That ethylene and hydrogen gas that makes up PAO didn't just magically appear from thin air.

I'm still convinced (more and more) that our lubricant production is a co-product of our intense fuel demand. They have to soak up the leftovers somewhere. It appears a competition for how much lubricant or how much plastic that needs to be disposed of via value added consumption.

Is is plant derived like ester or animal based like the old whale oil that was outlawed many years ago? I can't tell. No product data sheets?

It is animal based and says that on their website. Made from tallow from cows.

Yes. Soon rendering plants will provide more and more of our base stocks.

*****Green is made from PEOPLE!!!

This site is funny, in other threads about this same oil, people were like sounds interesting, might have to try it since it is SM rated and now in this one it is getting bashed because someone mentioned green.

kinda like the kettle calling the pot black-- all forms of refining process, be it from cracking crude oil into base lubricant, or further refining tallow into ester for lubricant, all requires energy input so the end product should all be considered "dirty", with hidden costs associated to polluting the earth as energy consumed during the process (and energy doesn't come free)

Funny how many naive joes falling for these spin-doktor's catchwords like "green", etc. I can think of another interesting scenarios where refinery A takes 100,000joules of energy to crack 1Litre of crude into desired product, whereas refinery B takes 99,999joules of energy to crack 1Litre of crude into same desired product. So, those spin-doktors come on and start calling the product from refinery B "green">!?

33.gif

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
This site is funny, in other threads about this same oil, people were like sounds interesting, might have to try it since it is SM rated and now in this one it is getting bashed because someone mentioned green.

Well, I'm glad that someone is developing the technology and maintaining a viable supply line. It's like re-refined/processed oil. I think it should all be reintroduced at the crude level or used as fuel to produce the energy for the cracking process which takes a 21% energy toll. The problem is ..or I suspect, that there is just too much new product available. You can't store it ..you can't dump it ..so you consume it.

I mean it would make sense to develop plastics that could be progressively or perpetually recyclable where they would end up as park benches or as reef substrate to contain shore erosion ..but we don't see much sense in that either considering we have so much virgin product at such low (apparent) cost.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The cap is green on Mobil1 AFE...
55.gif

HE, HE!

So does anyone order oil from on-line distributors other then Red Line or AMSOIL?

Feff

Last edited:
Feffman,

I've read about this oil in the car magazines but when I asked about it on the forum it appeared it was given the thumbs down.
It's too new an oil for anyone to try it. Perhaps the car magazines will test it out and write about it.

I never order any oil off the internet.

Durango

It's animal fat. I believe beef tallow.

Marketing infornmation excerpt:

"Unlike traditional petrochemical-based motor oils from leading manufacturers, Green Earth Technologies' G-OIL is made with American-grown renewable animal fats. These saturated fats, whose molecular single-bond carbon chains are similar to common petroleum oils, have no harsh effects on the environment, and drastically cut our dependence on foreign oil."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back