Great Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled out my Sony Headphones (MDR-6) I purchased back in 1990 for hifi sound and drowning raucous in my college dorm. I put them on after 5 years in a drawer. The sound is still incredible and comfort is all day I can listen while working.

I use them now when my kids are home to drown them out when I telecommute.

Interestingly I go out to amazon.com and they still make these 1980's vintage design (likely China instead of mine Made in Japan). But still and they get rave reviews. I paid $99(!) back then and now they go for $59.

I highly recommend them.

sony_mdr_v6-300-210.jpg

I had their younger (newer) brother and sister, the MDR-V600 and then the MDR-V900. Great cans. Wish I still had those 900s. Gotta love people stealing your nice stuff in college. Grrrrrrrr....

Keep enjoying your sweet headphones! :)

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Anyone ever use those "Beats?" headphones by Dr. Dre? They sure are pricey.

Well, you have to also consider the fact that Dr. Dre gets his cuts too, thus the Pricey part (additional markup necessary)

Q.

In headphone forums Beats HPs are regarded as the most overrated and overpriced HPs ever - having personally heard one model, I agree - nothing special, but lots of hype and great advertising. Most audio Technica HPs blow them away for SQ and bang for the $

It's like you can't appreciate good headphones until you've listened to one. I can't stand cheapie earphones (especially the ones that come with Apple stuff) after getting my Sennheiser HD25.

How are the pads on your Sony holding up. My dad has a pair of Yamahas from the 90s and the pleather pretty much disintegrated and he never used them.

I'd seriously would consider getting a pair of Stax earspeakers (SR007?009?) if I have the dough...this is what I truely called "earcandy:)"

hate many cheepie headcans...can't stand the distortion from it (and their uneven freq response).

Q.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

How are the pads on your Sony holding up. My dad has a pair of Yamahas from the 90s and the pleather pretty much disintegrated and he never used them.

The pads have distengrated to a cloth pad. The replaceable ones cost around $5/ear. I plan on getting them.

What a joy listening to real hifi again. I lost my Klipsh speakers years back to a move and lack of space.

I love my shure in-ear noise isolating (not cancelling) headphones for use in high noise areas. Sound quality is really good.

Id still love a good seat of headphones as you have. I'd prefer however, to have OVER-EAR versions so that I dont need to be pushing down my ears hard with the pads. I think there is a better seal against the skull versus the ear-press pads.

slightly OT:

I am looking for a decent pair of closed, circumaural but portable HPs for an upcoming trip...can't decide what to get...
Almost got the AKG K81dj but got scared about the problem with one channel going out and cable problems associated with it...

Luckily a friend is letting me borrow his Audio Technica ATH Fc700 for the trip:
smile.gif
(not actually circumaural but I have small ears so hopefully it will provide enough isolation...)
http://www.eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=38&prodID=3982

I recently discovered "skull candy" in ear headphones. They sound better than any of my 70's and 80's vintage headphones. A little objective testing shows that they produce audible bass at 30HZ without any difficulty. Something that conventional headphones can do, only if pressed up against the ear, hard.

I do agree, that quality headphones are wonderful. Not only do I fly with headphones, but some of our aircraft headphone sets (Lightspeed's) have a Bluetooth setup for music. It's quite nice to be flying for hours and have good sounding music. (yes, I understand that Bluetooth audio ain't perfect, but it's not bad either)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-...7520&sr=8-3

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. Had mine for 11 years. Same noise reduction rating as my shooting ear muffs -32dB. Beautiful, true sound reproduction. I used them for live sound, record mixing, airplanes. Still on the original cord (replaceable, if needed). Should replace ear pads (leatherette is looking ratty), but they are mostly OK. Folds down nice and flat for carry-on bag.

Those "beats" heaphone do have major bass - but how? Bass boost powered by filtered-out DC? Reduced higher frequencies? Either way, can't be good for quality.
And I have a pair of handmade-in-USA speakers (on a par with $1000 hi-fi store speakers) that cost not much more then the beats around-the-ear version...

Sony MDR-XD200 are great. $20-30 (e.g. at Sears), fit around reasonably-sized ears, great sound. No noise reduction (I've never tried that), and they do not fold up, so they're portable only in that they don't weigh too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back