Grease for pillow blocks, high speed, shock loads

Usually I use pillow blocks and flange bearings at work on conveyors and for my own equipment just rollers. Both see low speeds and just about no shock load. Keep em wet with any grease and they're good.
I want to use them on a stump grinder. So up to 4,000 rpm, nothing but shock loads and possible dirt. I did get ones with seals, cause I know the basic pillow block bearings are kind of open along the edge.
So I was thinking synthetic molybdenum fortified grease?

RPMs are not the only critical aspect. Bearing size is just as important. What's the bearing model number or outside diameter, bore diameter and width. This information plus environmental factors such as load, vibration, moisture, level of dirt, operating temperature, bearing position can be used to calculate minimum base oil viscosity at temperature, optimized base oil viscosity, initial fill amount, relubrication quantity and frequency.

I can do the calculations of you're interested.

I put a new dodge bearing in the stump grinder and a cheap bearing.
After a few hours the cheap bearing is pretty much done and the dodge somewhat sealed bearing is doing great.
So a seal that keeps dirt out is more important than what kid of grease.

low priced bearings are not a good investment,bearing/shaft design plays a inportant part also,,when selecting a new bearing ,contact a reputable bearing manufacture (timkin,skf,etc),let then know what you got and specs (shaft dia,speeds impact loads etc) and see what they can recomend for the use at stake,,,use of a good grease as mentioned above with the possibility of automatic grease application,,,,sealed bearing and redesign may come into play for the longtivity of the mention equipment

I can find somewhat sealed name brand bearings from dodge and seal master on ebay.
Have a 1.25 inch sealmaster on my wood chipper, max speed is about 3,000rpm has about 20hrs on it, still good as new.
Absolute max life I'm getting with cheap bearings on the stump grinder is about 10hrs, because they get dirt in them.

The only vertical load is the weight of the machine correct? But I guess side loading is a thing with going side to side on the stump. I'm assuming you remove the seal and then grease the bearing and re-install the seal? I could only see fully sealed bearings living very long in that environment.

The cutter head weights about 40lb rotating about 2,400rpm, striking a usually dry stump 4 times each rotation.
I use pillow blocks, they have zerk fitting to pump grease into.

A calcium complex grease. Since it’s in a stump grinder, probably with moly. 4000rpm isn’t super high speed.

Mystik Calsuplex 5% or P66 Omniguard XD3 / XD5 would be my choices. 220 vis base oil. Or Mystik Calsuplex MP.

I wouldn’t worry about going with synthetic base stocks. Contamination is going to kill the grease before the oil oxidizes out.

Depends on if you want to run moly or not for the shock load. You don’t technically need moly either as it’s not like a bucket pin. But you’ll have enough moisture to justify a calcium grease.

Back