grease for motorcycle swingarm bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here a dirtbiker and grease expert? I have always used marine grade waterproof grease when repacking my swing arm bearings and rear shock linkgage. Now I am wondering if something better would be beneficial. Conditions seen are water, dirt, mud, dust, etc. temps can be from 40-95f, usually more toward the higher side.
Thanks.

Pennzoil makes a dark gray grease, lithum, I think, we use to use it in heavy coal trucks that were exposed to dirt, water and abuse, that stuff would stay put and keep water out, its real sticky stuff. I ride/rode dirt bikes and this stuff would be excellent for your application. Belray, I bought once and is over priced for the quality, in the grease. Any disc brake grease, that is heat resistant, although you dont need that, will be a robust grease and serve you well. look for that Pennzoil Grease, its extreme presure, ttm, I think. Bad A stuff.

I use this on everything I own inluding my motorcycles. The main thing is to atleast clean and regrease everything often and not the type of grease you use. I do not race motocross anymore but when I did, everything got cleaned and greased once a month due to servicing the suspension fluids. Even more often if I ran a sand track.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/glc.aspx

+1 Belray waterproof. Get the tub for susp and steering, if you have zerts pick up a tube for your gun. It's alum base, not lithium, FWIW. I use it on the brake slider pins also.

Schaffers also has a alum base grease but never tried it.

I went through my whole bike (cr250) and used some german grease that came in a little yellow and blue plastic squeeze package. I can't remember the name, but the suzuki dealer here recommended it. What i found with greasing dirtbikes is doing it frequently. It's a pain to take the rear swingarm apart, head stem etc., but it pays off. I found the only bearing that took the most abuse was my rear linkage bearing in the bottom of the triangular piece (joins to the rear shock). It was completely dry and seized and needed to be replaced. The rest of my bike was good after one season. I'd say just get a decent quality grease and do it frequently, but grease that linkage bearing i described every couple of months. My next greasing will be with mystik jt6.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Pennzoil makes a dark gray grease, lithum, I think, we use to use it in heavy coal trucks that were exposed to dirt, water and abuse, that stuff would stay put and keep water out, its real sticky stuff. I ride/rode dirt bikes and this stuff would be excellent for your application. Belray, I bought once and is over priced for the quality, in the grease. Any disc brake grease, that is heat resistant, although you dont need that, will be a robust grease and serve you well. look for that Pennzoil Grease, its extreme presure, ttm, I think. Bad A stuff.

It's called TTM302 grease.

Originally Posted By: rosscopeeko
I found the only bearing that took the most abuse was my rear linkage bearing in the bottom of the triangular piece (joins to the rear shock). It was completely dry and seized and needed to be replaced. The rest of my bike was good after one season. I'd say just get a decent quality grease and do it frequently, but grease that linkage bearing i described every couple of months. My next greasing will be with mystik jt6.

I agree, the shock linkage bearing takes most of the grunt and requires it to be greased more often. When I was running suzuki's I always kept one on hand because when it was time to service the shock the bearing was always shot. If its for recreation riding, once a year should be fine like I do, but more frequent water crossings and mud riding will require more frequent greasing or you'll end up paying $70 for a linkage bearing kit. Racing application should be done once a month or more depending on how much riding time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back