Grease for MARINE application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHat would be a good grease for boat trailer bearings, outboard motor zirks, etc that are exposed to water frequently?? Thanks

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
WHat would be a good grease for boat trailer bearings, outboard motor zirks, etc that are exposed to water frequently?? Thanks
I picked Chevron Delo EP2, and the Chevron lube tech agreed. I've used the grease for around ten years. Trucks, boats, stern drives, outboards, trailers, garden equipment, etc! Exceptional grease.

according to the grease page here, lithium complex had a good resistance to water washout, calcium based greases have good to very good, and aluminum complex has excellent plus excellent rust resistance.
check the link functions of a grease on the home page.

I think for non moving parts that see water spray or water force, you'll do best with aluminum complex. The only I've ever found is CRC trailer & WB grease at specialty stores and it works very well on stuff exposed to the environment. For wheel bearings or other things protected by seals, I don't think it would matter as long as the seals are decent and the area is full of grease to also prevent water from getting in.

DA Stuart Company's AQUA SHIELD
Great for boat trailer wheels exposed to both fresh and salt water, little water washout, and great anti-corrosion properties.

Schaeffers 274 comes up a lot due to aluminum complex base which is basically waterproof. Amsoil makes a water resistant lithium complex grease which gets good reviews and I use this stuff myself. It's sort of a dark blue color. "Greengrease" at the auto parts stores says that it is a waterproof grease, but looks sort of expensive at nearly $10 a tube. Saw a couple different water resistant greases at WM in the boating section, if that's more convenient for you.

Originally Posted By: bruce381
Ca sulfonates

Yes, I think so. and some full Syn (oil + thickener) greases also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back