Grease for calpier slide pins and contact points?

Quote:
..I use that Ford branded grease at my daughters request for her '02 lincoln..works as designed too..

Call me weird but thats kinda hot
smile.gif

Oh back to the subject, I use a good quality syn grease and only use a thin coat and ive never had a problem. I think for my nissan ill refer to the service manual and get the same stuff nissan uses when they do it. Cant say it will be better than something else but at least they wont give me heck. If thats before warranty runs out.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Oh back to the subject, I use a good quality syn grease and only use a thin coat and ive never had a problem. I think for my nissan ill refer to the service manual and get the same stuff nissan uses when they do it. Cant say it will be better than something else but at least they wont give me heck. If thats before warranty runs out.

The FSM specifies PBC (poly butyl cuprysil) or silicone-based grease, nothing specific.

I have use Sil Glyde since I first posted in this thread in 2010 and it has so far been stellar. I will continue to use it because it just works. My father used it in the trade back in the day and always had good results as well. The stuff works, I love it.

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
Originally Posted By: hate2work

I didn't even know they made a special grease just for caliper bolts. I've always just used a good high temp grease.
..most of the cars in my families stable are fine with the silicone and synthetic perma products..but..if you have the rubber "dust" boots that actually grip around the "shaft of the caliper bolt" (not just below the head) like on the newer 2000+ subarus and some pontiacs (the only cars I am familliar with), the silcone or permatex products will not do the job for the long run..these types of greases don't mix well(developes unnecessary friction or welling) with the rubber boots and will start to bind up in a very short time causeing the caliper pin to hydraulic causeing the surface of the rotor to become tarnished..I was made aware of this when I bought my 2001 subi with 42k/mi, since it was dealer serviced being still under warr, by this time the rotors had been re-surfaced 2 times with 3 new sets of pads..even after my purchase shortly again the rotors and pads needed replaceing..the caliper pins were locking up and a [censored] too pull them out even though they were not one bit rusty..to make this long story short..the proper grease if the mechanics are ware of it(most are not) can not be purchased any more, at least for the consumer..so I use this product in small amounts and all works as it is designed too.. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/FUCHS - TDS/RENOLIT RED RUBBER GREASE.pdf

Really? I have always used the green bottle permatex synthetic high temp brake lube grease and have never once had a problem with the rubber boots or rotors being affected by it. Even after 50K miles and the pads being replaced again, I still find a coating of the green permatex on the slide pins.
As far as using it on the backs of the pads, I dont use anything because I find that it attracts brake dust and most if not all, modern pads have shims or some sort of noise dampening in them so no barrier like brake quiet is needed. I have never had a problem with noise or vibration either.

Originally Posted By: ron350

My 96 Regal is the same way and the Pematex green label just does not last.

I picked up some CRC Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease today and tested it on a spare rubber brake boot from my Regal. The CRC made the rubber boot swell just like other members here describe. No cross contamination involved because the boot was washed with soap and water several times and the CRC was applied to the outside.

GM's offical caliper pin grease #18048057 "Organic Grease"..contains Dow corning molykote G-407..I ordered this product last Sept thru the local gm dealer (had to be sent from Kentucky to Canada)..industrial maintenance stores like Grangers would most likely carry this product...USE sparingly...or use the other recommended products that I have mentioned (pg2)

Wow, and all these years I thought swelled caliper pin boots and dried up Permatex green lube was simply normal wear and tear.
frown.gif

However, I was surprized recently when I did the front brakes on my moms '99 Monte Carlo, the calipers moved freely and the pin boots were in excellent condition for 86,000 miles and there was still some pink colored grease on the bolts.

I've got to find some of that GM lube..

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Wow, and all these years I thought swelled caliper pin boots and dried up Permatex green lube was simply normal wear and tear.
frown.gif

Oh no.. That green stuff is useless in these applications. It took me 2 brake jobs to catch on, but the pins were so badly seized I almost had to replace a caliper one time (using the permatex green with rubber bushings - Saturn) I now use Sil Glyde on these types of calipers and its flawless.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
frown.gif

Oh no.. That green stuff is useless in these applications. It took me 2 brake jobs to catch on, but the pins were so badly seized I almost had to replace a caliper one time (using the permatex green with rubber bushings - Saturn) I now use Sil Glyde on these types of calipers and its flawless.

Wish I saw this post a few weeks ago, I though it was normal. When I saw the remarkable condition of the pin boot on my moms car I wondered; "whats going on here, why aren't they swelled, deteriorated and binding as always"? I could have cleaned and reused them no problem

I just did two front brake jobs on GM w-bodies with the green Permatex, not going to be easy to clean that out as the pin boots are pressed into the caliper bracket.

And, I'm still not sure which caliper lube to use and where to get it. How about GM Silicone lube:
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle-maintenance/lubricants/silicone-brake-lubricant/

or perhaps Toyota or Honda OEM caliper lube.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Dielectric grease works great (all I ever use).

+1

This is what I used last time and so far so good.

The Toyota FSM specifies grease that no one have heard about, including Toyota dealers and mechanics.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Dielectric grease works great (all I ever use).

+1

This is what I used last time and so far so good.

The Toyota FSM specifies grease that no one have heard about, including Toyota dealers and mechanics.

It is available, it is a lithium soap-based grease. One of the larger Toyota dealers here in the Bay Area has it, but it is about $20 for a small tube. I will stick to the Motorcraft product...or maybe the 3M one.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I've found the Motorcraft XG-3-A to work quite well. I paid $13 for a small tube. It is an OE grade silicone and dielectric paste/grease. I have found it to be slicker and thicker than any other brake lube.

I would think that 3M's 08946 Silicone Paste would do a similarly good job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170847516115

That 3M Silicone paste looks good or the AC-Delco Silicone grease which claims a high amount of PTFE (Teflon). Both pricey but an 8oz. container could last me quite a while.

Still can't get over how poorly, what I though was a decent product, (Permatex Green) performed in my application, could have save myself a lot of extra work.

Makes me wonder what other inferior products I'm using..
33.gif

I've found the Motorcraft XG-3-A to work quite well. I paid $13 for a small tube. It is an OE grade silicone and dielectric paste/grease. I have found it to be slicker and thicker than any other brake lube.

That 3M Silicone paste looks good or the AC-Delco Silicone grease which claims a high amount of PTFE (Teflon). Both pricey but an 8oz. container could last me quite a while.

Still can't get over how poorly, what I though was a decent product, (Permatex Green) performed in my application, could have save myself a lot of extra work.

33.gif

The stuff is terrible, I tossed mine when I finally figured out how poor it was.

My father has 20 year old tubes of Sil Glyde that still work well. (I have a new one myself)

[/quote] GM's offical caliper pin grease #18048057 "Organic Grease"..contains Dow corning molykote G-407..I ordered this product last Sept thru the local gm dealer (had to be sent from Kentucky to Canada

Called a couple of GM dealers, the above part number was not working, so they said.

I ended up getting a tube of Sil-Glyde SG-8 at NAPA for $6.99. Advance Auto also had Sil-Glyde SG-4 but it was amber colored verses the whitish NAPA Sil-Glyde. NAPA version also said "Contains Silicone" and a temp range of -20F - +600F. AAP Sil-Glyde didn't mention silicone and the temp range was -20F - +400F.

Cleaned out the Green Permatex lube on the Cutlass when I got home, I just replaced the rotors/pads and pin boots a few weeks ago, the Permatex was already gumming up. Interestingly, the Napa Sil-Gylde looks whitish in the tube but goes on a faint pink/purple.

Also, noticed the FSM recommends silicone lube on the pins, the Green Permatex bottle says synthetic, not silicone.

33.gif

This is what I got from my Raybestos Advanced Technology brake pads. It came with a small packet labelled-"Silicone with Teflon."

I personally buy the small packs of brake caliper grease,purple colored and labelled Ceramic brake caliper grease. I think it is from Sil-Glyde?

I used tubes of Silicone before but it would dry up or be gone in the caliper bushing by the time the next brake job occured.

After hearing all the rave reviews of sil-glyde, I had to get some and try it out. I bought a 4 oz tube of it at my local Napa (part# 765-1351) for around $6.
After cleaning my brakes during my last tire rotation, I noticed my brakes were squeaking when coming to a stop. I assumed I must have degreased the slide pins when I cleaned them and this was making the squeak because the pads are new and everything else is in order.
So today I took the brakes apart and found only a light film on the slide pins. I cleaned everything again and put on a heavy coat of the sil-glyde. I liked how it was clear and had no odor, kind of reminded me of super lube grease. Anyways, now my brakes are very quiet again and I am happy. I will try to remember to follow up on my experiences with sil-glyde the next time I have the brakes apart. So far so good though, thanks for all the recommendations in this thread.

Reading this thread I also realized that Permatex synthetic brake lube was always gumming up and becoming sticky goo after only a year of use in my Mazda 3. That is why I was forced to re-lube the pins annually.
Through the talks with one of our members, I bought Wurth Silicone Lubricating Compound. It seems to be an equivalent to Sil Glyde, which is harder to find in Canada.

I only applied it last week, so I cannot say how it will hold up, but I though it would be good to mention it.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I wonder if the White Lithium Grease is causing my problem here??

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2748982&page=1

White lithium grease is a petroleum product, it could possibly swell the caliper pin boots to the point where the calipers bind and the pads drag and glaze.

Clean out the white lithium grease, relube with Napa Sil-Glyde and give the pads a light sanding. If the problem clears up you'll know your on the right track.

Back