Graduation Present from a fellow student :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Growing up in the 60's, I would come home from school & my Father would be painting his car in the garage (at home).

He did OK.

Years later when he was older, he wanted to go to a collision shop and have his car painted (approx $500).

I said "Dad, buy a quart of paint and you can do it for $10.00".

The only problem he had was: the fuzz from the roller was coming off.

He touched it up with a brush and was quite happy.

Thats the way I have always painted my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I don't want to sound like a jerk but a 90's Camry is an appliance. The amount of money it will cost repair this damage should cover maintenance on this vehicle for the next few years.

Get some estimates, then see if the parents will just cut you a check for a portion of it and do the work yourself. (Its a good opportunity to try your hand at bodywork)

Keep in mind that your reputation as well as your sons will come into play here. The two families involved likely know many of the same people, your son and the girl share the same peers and in this facebook-twitter world, word travels fast.

Plus it may be a chance to share a project with your son, teach him some self reliance, and learn that sometimes sh*t happens that may not be your fault but its up to you to handle it.

Respectfully i disagree. You or your family had property damaged by another party, There is nothing about that that requires you to handle the problem.

Depending on the state and if the damage is less than $1,000 no police report is needed.
If the damage exceeds that amount and you havent filed a police report there insurance may not have to honor anything if they decide not to pay out of pocket for the damages.

If i were in your shoes and you want to give the other family a chance.. first contact the police and explain the situation, ask how long you have to get a police report for the accident. Second get your estimates NOW.. dont wait. Give the family exactly 5 buisness days to pay the full estimate amount (or the average of 3 estimates) and get them to sign a Notorized agreement that states they are fully responsible for the accident and the cost of repair to your auto.. id tell them if they dont agree to sign this NOW that your not waiting or giving any chances, your filing a police repot and starting the claim process NOW..

Honestly, if it was me (maybee im just jaded) but i wouldnt mess with any of what i just said.. My entire suggestion is if your feeling compassionate etc.. I would contact the police, and then file your claim.. thats what you pay insurance premiums for.. let the insurance company do what you pay them to do, and that's handle a accident.

from your pictures i think your easily over $1,500 and its not going to be as simple as just poping a dent and buffing a little, this looks like the job for a professional, thet them do it so your auto looks like it did before the accident.

Until last year, I carried full collision on this car. This year I stopped as the car is too old and with too many miles on it and now only carry comprehensive and liability. I understand that my insurance will not be involved in this repair. Personally, I hate the collision repair industry and loath to give them any business if I can help it.

I am worried about this crack though. I am hoping that it can be glued back and repainted.

Px8zDle.jpg

No more than 15 minute of my time, a rubber mallet, HF buffer with M105 and this is what I have been able to do. I did this with the trunk liner still in place. I bet I can do a much better job once I take the liner off.

IZL74W4.jpg

Somebody who came up with 8 hours of labor to straighten this panel must be an industry insider!

Contrast with the other intact side
hPqhuFm.jpg

I think if I am willing invest another hour so on the damaged side, I can get it good enough. Obviously the bumper cover is going to be a challenge though.

Vikas,
I like your approach. If it was a newer car and/or someone's pride and joy, yeah, insurance all the way and 'like new' repair. At this point, the car isn't worth all that financially or emotionally, and to make someone pay 1/3 the value of the car to an Autobody shop - who wins here besides the shop? That money is definitely better spent at keeping the car on the road mechanically.
I'd do what you're doing and make it look 'okay'. As for the money - that's up to you on how much to ask for.

Vikas,

Good for you. Not only on the work you did but on your outlook. I wouldn't even be concerned with the bumper since it's plastic. I recently read a thread on another forum where a new Accord had a little more damage and the shop was charging the insurance company 8k. Not to mention it was a leased car and he only had one estimate. Kind of ticks me off. Here's the link: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96609&highlight=damage

However, the local toyota body shop here does excellent work and is reasonable with their prices.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You have a lot of damage there. Repaired professionally, I'd say $1500

+1, if you want it to look perfect. I'm sure you can make it look "a lot better," but it will be far from perfect.

You guys are the right one and I am the wrong one :-( The estimate varies between 2K and 2.5K at two places; wow, I never thought it would be so expensive. I have to eat the crow.

Enjoy the crow. I was under the impression you wanted it repaired professionally, correctly, and have it look right. Anyone can beat on it with a rubber mallet and call it good enough. Meanwhile the girl that did this learns nothing about the consequences for her actions...I'm out, best of luck.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Hello all,

Growing up in the 60's, I would come home from school & my Father would be painting his car in the garage (at home).

He did OK.

Years later when he was older, he wanted to go to a collision shop and have his car painted (approx $500).

I said "Dad, buy a quart of paint and you can do it for $10.00".

The only problem he had was: the fuzz from the roller was coming off.

He touched it up with a brush and was quite happy.

Thats the way I have always painted my vehicles.

And all them thar fancy-Dan body shops wastin' all their money on high-falutin' "sprayers" an' sech ! Haw !

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You guys are the right one and I am the wrong one :-( The estimate varies between 2K and 2.5K at two places; wow, I never thought it would be so expensive. I have to eat the crow.

Vikas;

You couldn't even get a body shop to just spray the paint on the panel and bumper, if they were already prepped and fixed, for $300 these days. Body repair is super expensive. Paint itself is very $$$ too. Add in you have a red color and that makes it even more so.

Last edited:
It is going to the body shop, I am going to let the insurance companies duke it out among themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back