2 job offers need advice

Pharmacy is a STEM major with real science classes, but it's not impossible. It's not anything like going to med school. You can come out with a 4 year degree and get hired almost immediately.

When my dad was in pharmacy management they were hiring people straight out of undergrad pharmacy schools in the 6 figure range, clinical setting. And this was a few years back, he quit his managment job in the mid 2010s and was just a pharmacist until he retired a couple of years ago. I dunno but in my book making $120K/yr when you're 23 years old is pretty good, even with inflation.
A lot of programs are 4 to 6 years for a Pharm D degree.

I work with a lot of pharmacists in the corporate world. It's a versatile degree.

Lots of great comments/ thoughts from a master mind group with lot of life experiences.

Two themes are frequent in this thread (1) retail is often a bottom tier for pay and upward mobility, (2) the jobs you have listed require no experience, which can equate to "we will work you super hard for low pay". Nothing wrong with that- but be aware.

You didn't mention your age unless I missed it- I suspect you may not be over 35. Have you thought about joining the Army for a few years? Tons of great technical programs that offer five figure bonuses and great opportunities with non retail organizations after an enlistment contract is done. My youngest son, now 30, enlisted 16 months ago. He went from a dead-end job (becuase of his personality) at Amazon, to completing advanced individual training where he can service satellite systems and encrypted radio systems and cyber. He now has a skill set that may be hard to get a entry level position, and his instructor told me "many organizations will be waiting in line" to hire him at the end of his enlistment contract. His sign on bonus was $40k USD. Yes, a ton of his first year was not a lot of fun, but he is a different man today than a year ago. His mental toughness and physical fitness growth is mind blowing. And he gets to serve his country.

Might be worth adding a third option to your employment opportunities- the Army..... yes, really.....

My dad's career was in hospital pharmacy and after he got his Masters he was mainly in pharmacy management for 30 years. He was able to successfully recruit several of my college friends to work as techs back in the early 1990s while they were going to school. It was one of the best part time jobs you could get at that time. They would work weekends and go to school during the week. It paid close to $20 per hour at the time which for back then was really solid money for a late teens/early 20s person.

I would take the pharmacy tech apprentice position and go for your certification. You don't have to keep working for Walgreens, once you have some experience under your belt you can work in a more clinical setting without the annoying resale/retail side of things. The demand is high for anything in the medical field.

I knew a hospital pharmacy technician and he became the buyer at the hospital level, more of a mini manager than an actual technician.

Lots of great comments/ thoughts from a master mind group with lot of life experiences.

Two themes are frequent in this thread (1) retail is often a bottom tier for pay and upward mobility, (2) the jobs you have listed require no experience, which can equate to "we will work you super hard for low pay". Nothing wrong with that- but be aware.

You didn't mention your age unless I missed it- I suspect you may not be over 35. Have you thought about joining the Army for a few years? Tons of great technical programs that offer five figure bonuses and great opportunities with non retail organizations after an enlistment contract is done. My youngest son, now 30, enlisted 16 months ago. He went from a dead-end job (becuase of his personality) at Amazon, to completing advanced individual training where he can service satellite systems and encrypted radio systems and cyber. He now has a skill set that may be hard to get a entry level position, and his instructor told me "many organizations will be waiting in line" to hire him at the end of his enlistment contract. His sign on bonus was $40k USD. Yes, a ton of his first year was not a lot of fun, but he is a different man today than a year ago. His mental toughness and physical fitness growth is mind blowing. And he gets to serve his country.

Might be worth adding a third option to your employment opportunities- the Army..... yes, really.....
I have no desire to join the military, plus I have a medical condition that prohibits me becoming enlisted in the military. furthermore; who at this point in time would want to enlist with all of the chaos going on in the world lol.

Now with regard to these 2 jobs. The walgreens position requires the least amount of experience, because I wouldn't be managerial staff. Whole Food on the other hand is a managerial role.

I decided to checkout Glassdoor and the actual Whole Foods jobs board to see how many of these particular jobs have open vacancy. There are others, but it's far fewer than a standard grocery clerk, or someone within cake decorating. To me this is a good indicator that there isn't a lot of turnover within this particular position.

Take the role that provides you more leadership/supervisorial experience. Being a team lead/management will open more doors and translates easier across industries.

I'd also advise you to choose the role that you'd enjoy more. Money will NOT bring you happiness.

Not in college and hence zero desire to return. I went for clinical science. I'd have to get a masters or doctorate to make significant money.
Hmmm. Not in college. No desire to return. Got a degree that doesn’t lead to any career path. No desire to join the Army.

So, what do you expect? I’m curious.

You don’t want to make an investment in yourself. The key to a good future isn’t “sleeping with a manager” as you suggested early in this thread, the key is to invest in yourself.

Expand your Human capital. Build your skills. Develop your resume. Broaden your opportunities. Take a hard job, because it is hard. Get training that leads to a better job. Start a career that requires discipline, not just showing up for an hourly wage.

Or, sit there and consider two hourly wage/clerk positions and wonder which is better while failing to make the effort necessary to succeed.

Are you still located in the Chicago area?

Or I might be confusing you for another member...

Why not a construction trade? Paid OJT, potential to exceed 6 figures, can lead to very good utility jobs. There’s a nationwide shortage of tradesmen.

Why not a construction trade? Paid OJT, potential to exceed 6 figures, can lead to very good utility jobs. There’s a nationwide shortage of tradesmen.
After the recent threads on the UAW - I was thinking it’s time for a union job…

Trades are always a good option if OP would consider it.

They sometimes have paid apprenticeships and job placement.
Agree trades offer a lot. Get into the right trade at the right place, and life can be very good. I suspect being a pipefitter at a Houston area oil refinery must pay very well. Electrician at a nuclear plant, likewise- great security, predictability, and pay.

Whole Foods and grocery chains seem more solid than the pharmacy market currently. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon. Is this somewhere you want to be several years down the road or just a placemat? Whole Foods with the potential of management is a career move as in pharm tech I don’t see supporting a family and household on that income.

Whole Foods and grocery chains seem more solid than the pharmacy market currently. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon. Is this somewhere you want to be several years down the road or just a placemat? Whole Foods with the potential of management is a career move as in pharm tech I don’t see supporting a family and household on that income.
How well does the Whole Foods model work on a MACRO basis with changes in the value of the USD? I would think Aldi and Lidl would offer better job security than Whole Foods, etc. But I never would of guessed people way pay to watch TV filled with commercials, so what do I know.....

Back