Got some extra money from settlement....what to do....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schmoe, I'm Jewish. I hear about money and would stay far away from an annuity. They are pushed because how much money the salesman earns.
A seller can make $1200 in one day selling you a $20K annuity.
I'm not sure I'd want to put money in stocks right now if you want the money out in a few years. I'm hearing things. Our dollar is going to fall and interest rates will rise within the next few years.

How expensive is it to fix that $20K Porsche when things start to break ?

I’d love to have a new 911 Turbo but they are out of my budget.

How expensive is it to fix that $20K Porsche when things start to break ?

I’d love to have a new 911 Turbo but they are out of my budget.
For the 996 or 986, Figure $2-3k to bulletproof the engine (IMS, RMS, AOS) and you're all set. Everything else is more or less VW and pretty inexpensive.

The Cayenne would need the coolant pipes done and that's about it.

You and the wife go on a nice vacation, and I don't mean a cheap weekender. Use remainder to pay off highest interest loan first after vacation.

I'll let you in on an insider secret. A small startup is building bladder systems for oil.
Let it ride on Kramerica Industries.

fully fund ira & 401k for you & wife with a low cost, balanced, index fund from vanguard, fidelity or schwab. pay down mortgage. get longterm care, life & disability insurance. if wanting to take a flyer buy some gold coins from a reputable online dealer, e.g. jmb or mmx. if you don’t have a couple of simple firearms buy them, plus ammo and training, say for $1000 total.

Last edited:
About three years ago, wife got t-boned. Other driver got the ticket. Car was totaled and she had to have shoulder surgery and therapy. OK, that's over and lawyer settled with the other party. Basically, we got a check for 20K. Not trying to brag here, our finances are doing OK....house paid off, 1 car payment and no other bills. Got some cash in the bank for "just in case." Have a 529 plan for my daughter that is 17. Really don't want to plop 20K in the bank as interest is peanuts nowadays. CD's don't pay much either. I'm 57, wife is 50. Roth IRA caught my eye, but I'd have to own the account for 5 years before I could touch it. I had thought maybe that was the way to go just in case I need to yank out some more money for college, but I'll be inside that 5 year window. We would both qualify to put in 7K each into two separate Roth IRA's. Heard of pre-paid annuities, but I just don't know. I'm not the type to drop some money in the stock market....out 2 401k's are doing that. I don't like risk....my butt still hurts from that 2008 debacle....so....wondering what some of ya'll might do????
Just a clarification on the Roth and the 5 year rule - if you need the money, you can withdraw your original contribution inside the 5 years without a penalty or taxes. Any earning have to stay in the fund for 5 years plus or be penalized upon withdrawal.

Personally, i am overweight in UWMC, they make tons of consistent money leading the wholesale mortgage industry. Under $8 a share gets you over 5% yield for a buy it and forget about it investment. You could do worse than buying a few shares of it.

Personally, i am overweight in UWMC, they make tons of consistent money leading the wholesale mortgage industry. Under $8 a share gets you over 5% yield for a buy it and forget about it investment. You could do worse than buying a few shares of it.
You could do much better in the S&P 500. Seems like that is down 26% for the year. S&P 500 is up 18% year to date and was up 18% last year. Who cares about a 5% yield if you lose 26% of your investment? I look at the 3 year and the 5 year and it hasn't done much. Meanwhile the S&P had that great 2019 year at 31.47%. You did much worse buying it than an S&P 500 index fund.

You could do much better in the S&P 500. Seems like that is down 26% for the year. S&P 500 is up 18% year to date and was up 18% last year. Who cares about a 5% yield if you lose 26% of your investment? I look at the 3 year and the 5 year and it hasn't done much. Meanwhile the S&P had that great 2019 year at 31.47%. You did much worse buying it than an S&P 500 index fund.
It’s being shorted a lot, they borrow my shares every day. It can have some great covered call premiums as well. I don’t sell below a $12 strike. Between small flips, call premiums, dividend, lending shares to shorts, it makes me a ton of money. I have some blocks I paid $11s for but I don’t mind. I have big confidence in their affording the dividend for a very long time. 12 dollars and up the yield gets thin.

It’s being shorted a lot, they borrow my shares every day. It can have some great covered call premiums as well. I don’t sell below a $12 strike. Between small flips, call premiums, dividend, lending shares to shorts, it makes me a ton of money. I have some blocks I paid $11s for but I don’t mind. I have big confidence in their affording the dividend for a very long time. 12 dollars and up the yield gets thin.
So what's your actual return on it for the year to date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back