Got a new filter... is STP any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I have to do an oil change on the other car.. a 2000 Mercedes-Benz c230 Kompressor.... I got some M1 5w-30 full syn... but was kinda iffy on the filters considering I now know fram is bad, so I picked up an STP filter from autozone for like $9. Is this any good?

Was it some special application? I think the free after rebate STP 3950 on my truck now was $3. STP looks about the same inside as many other Champ made filters and Purolator, or at least used to before Champ went to the new E-core technology. Did you notice if it had a black cage inside instead of a perforated metal center tube? Sure sign of a Champ E-core.

Haven't run one for about 5 years. Mine is still the old technology with a dome end clicker bypass. In March I will be cutting it open and comparing it with a recent ST that I usually use. Of course the entrail reading doesn't tell much about the quality of the media.

Been a lot of Champ bashing here, but many good reports from those using them. I have never seen a problem with any of the dozen or so I have cut open. I think it is hard to find a worse filter than Fram.

Oh, if it's a cartridge filter no comments about E-core design or STP media quality for spin-ons are really relevant. I don't recall seeing any recent discussions about the quality of various brands for any cartridge filters.

For all I know, even FRAM might make a good cartridge filter. With a cartridge there is no place to hide quality shortcuts, so I'd probably just visually examine various brands in the store and see which ones look best.

Here at the shop we only use Mann or Mahle for any Euro canister filter vehicle. Champ sometimes outsources these special filters to other manufacturers. I have seen many ripped, and blown apart cheap cartridge filters through the years. In fact someone I know with a BMW had some shop near them changing oil and the cheap cartridge filter they used fell apart clogged the oiling system and blew the engine. I would source your filter from a dealer, or a parts store who stocks the OEM or OEM equivalent in quality, fit and finish especially for a Mercedes.

My stealer only charged me $8 for a Purlux in an AC 2244G box. I can pick up Purolator L 15436's for $3-4. Pep Boys has a good sale this week on them. I think the ST 9018 is less than $6, likely identical to the STP. The Fram CH 9018 looks just as good, but Wally's wants $12 for them.

This is the firs report I have ever seen here of problems with a cartridge filter. You pull the naked cartridge out, and you should spot any problems. Somebody been running 20W-50?

I am still waiting for a good answer on why you pay an arm and a leg for a filter with plastic end caps and no metal housing, no ADBV, no bypass. I say, rip off.

hey I did do a search on STP... all I got was my post...
frown.gif

Did you check to see if the STP filter packaging said made in Germany...
wink.gif

Don't jump to conclusions...

If I recall correctly, the ST9018s I have were made in Bulgeria. The Wix ones I have were made in Korea. The Purolator ones were made in the USA.

Champ has an agreement with Mahle.

Chances are they got the Mercedes filter from them.
dunno.gif

Not sure where all of Mahle's manufacturing facilities are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back