Good old green coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the topic of this thread, Peaks own website says of the traditional green, "Patented aluminum protection". If one was looking to replace dexcool, not sure it would be my first choice, but I could see where others might choose it, if they service their system regularly.

Night Rider where you get into the question is the "proprietary hydrated inorganic acids/organic acid salts, span> There's no telling what those are, and could be 2eha for one and not for the other. In other words not all ingredients are specifically listed on the MSDS sheet.

It's my opinion, that Peak LL, ST, and Prestone are basically all the same and likely contain 2eha. While Peak Global Liftime does not. I base that on reading this board, and the folks using Peak Global Life rather than LL, and the email, (which perhaps I'll search for, I'm certain it was longtime member tenderlion) from Old world stating Global Life Lite time doesn't contain 2eha.

But, again, if it is true that Peak LL/ST contains no 2eha, it eliminates the Universal coolant/dexclone discussion completely. Not the general opinion on this board.

The reason I don't buy pre mix is it's half water(distilled /deionized) and the flush reason I previously stated.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What do you think of Peak Global's inhibitor.

I'd be happy simply knowing what Peak Global's inhibitor is. They're very vague with their 'patented non 2-EHA formula'. My own container of premixed lists a sixteen digit number New Jersey Trade Secret Registry number, but there's no indication of whether or not it's indentical to the QT1 that ppears on Peak Long Life.

Global LifeTime at Peak's web page
http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html

Glad you posted the PGL web page where it says "Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free"

The Peak Long Life just says: "Features a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula"

Which would confirm the email from Old World and refute the msds ingredient theory of them being the same.

As for knowing the specific formula, I don't know. But Bill in Utah has decided to use PGL in all his vehicles.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
sayjac, it doesn't appear to be the same it is the same. Look at the msds. Peak LL 50/50: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/msds_pk_longlife_5050.pdf
SuperTech 50/50: http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/339831.pdf (last revised in 2003)
Peak Global Life Time 50/50: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/msds_peak_global_lifetime_5050.pdf (same exact formula as the cheaper Peak Long Life...)

I don't use the full strength since this mixture is suitable for me.

I just checked at Walmart last night and it appeared that both Peak AM and Prestone AM are suppliers for the Supertech. The Supertech 50/50 appeared to be made by Peak (NJTSRN QT1) and was like 50 cents cheaper than Peak branded. Now the supertech full-strength right below it appeared to be made by Prestone (Sodium 2-EHA) and a dexcool/dexclone for sure and it was like $1.50 more than the Peak AM. Peak was $7.50 for 50/50 or full strength, while Prestone is close to $10. So it all makes since that Peak was supoplying the 50/50 Supertech and Prestone was supplying the fulll strength.

There's no doubt that Prestone AM is a a dexclone. But here's the thing about Peak AM (not the Global) and it's "(NJTSRN QT1)". My bet is it is 2-EH and a dexclone and they are hiding the fact on the ingrediaents label. As far as Global life, I think it is probably a different formulation and does not contain 2-EH and is not a dexclone. Edit: I just saw now that posters are saying Global is not a Dexclone.

Bottom line, Supertech, Peak extended life AM/AM and Prestone extended life AM/AM are all dexcool/dexclones. Global is not.

Last edited:
I was in an Advance Auto today and saw a nice supply of Peak Traditional Green @$11.99 for the full strength. They must have had some left over after the sale a couple months back.

I don't remember if it was on a BOGO, or ~$8-9 a gallon on sale.

sayjac,

It was $7.99/gal on sale back in Nov and I bought one. I'm glad AA started stocking it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back