Good old green coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all this talk about "the green stuff" I started actually paying attention to who had Texaco coolant in stock. The autoparts stores I frequent don't have any on the shelves. While wondering around the Do it center I decided to see what they had on the automotive isle. There it was my favorite green coolant, so I bought 2 gallons. Since its a Texaco product I'm sure every Texaco station has some in stock as well. The last time I purchase a gallon it was from Pepboys which is a little out of my way.

http://www.havoline.com/na/products/texaco-antifreeze.aspx?parent=coolants-antifreezes.aspx

http://doitbest.com/

Hopefully this will help someone that wants the green stuff and not the new long life products.

You can buy PEAK traditional green at Advance Auto. It was on sale in October for $7.99 a gallon for the full strength version.
I have considered switching my Dexcool equipped Buick over but I'm still not sure it is a good idea. Any thoughts on this?

pbm is correct though, AAP did have a special awhile back on the Peak Traditional Green. I saw it mixed in with the Long Life on a rack, some stores may still have it. The jugs do look very similar to LL though, so you have to look closely.

But don't put the ole green in a recent Asian vehicle. They call for no silicate antifreeze. The ole green is low silicate but still has some. Go for Peak Global which has no silicates and no 2-EHA.

Originally Posted By: Donald
But don't put the ole green in a recent Asian vehicle. They call for no silicate antifreeze. The ole green is low silicate but still has some. Go for Peak Global which has no silicates and no 2-EHA.

Prestone all makes all models which is green states on the back panel - first bullet point. NO silicates.

Bill

Donald,

Not to worry, it's for my '02 Ford which came from the factory with old school green. I do annual drain 'n fills and am glad Peak "Green" is available again. I had stocked up on it in late '04 when it became apparent Dex-Clones were taking over the aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Donald

Prestone all makes all models which is green states on the back panel - first bullet point. NO silicates.

Bill

Bill, Prestone all makes all models is really dexcool. It list the exact same ingredients as Prestone dexcool,sodium 2-EHA.

Quote:
Prestone all makes all models is really dexcool. It list the exact same ingredients as Prestone dexcool,sodium 2-EHA.
Prestone AM/LL and Peak LL both contain no silicates and no phosphates. While they both contain 2eha they are not exactly the same as dexcool, as the chemistry/ingredients are different. They are generally called dexclones because they do contain 2 eha.

That said, I have used Prestone AM and and am using Peak LL in a Nissan and Toyota according to each car manufacturer's recommended schedule with no issues. In other words, I service the cooling systems regularly.

The Peak traditional green (not LL) does have silicates, and generally has been recommended for older vehicles.

It's not available at any of the Wally's in this area, I've checked a minimum of 5. Not available at AAP, AZ, or O'Reilly's, for that matter, neither is G-05.

I've occasionally seen it in small supply at Walgreen, but pricey compared to LL. And, I'll only consider the full strength and some of the Walgreens and Kmarts only have the 50/50 premix, but generally not much of it.

I've got nothing against PGL, but compared to the LL which is carried at all the stores mentioned, it's not readily available. And, if I'm going to service my cooling system every ~2-3yrs or 30k as car man. recommended, I'm just not concerned about 2-eha. JMO

Peak GL is available here at K-Mart, Walgreens, Tractor Supply Co., and at NAPA. Don't know if that helps or not?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Prestone all makes all models is really dexcool. It list the exact same ingredients as Prestone dexcool,sodium 2-EHA.
Prestone AM/LL and Peak LL both contain no silicates and no phosphates. While they both contain 2eha they are not exactly the same as dexcool, as the chemistry/ingredients are different. They are generally called dexclones because they do contain 2 eha.

That said, I have used Prestone AM and and am using Peak LL in a Nissan and Toyota according to each car manufacturer's recommended schedule with no issues. In other words, I service the cooling systems regularly.

The Peak traditional green (not LL) does have silicates, and generally has been recommended for older vehicles.

I recently looked at a jug of Prestone all makes and all models and a jug of Prestone Dexcool and they both listed the exact same ingredients on the bottle sodium 2-EHA and another sodium inhibitor. Exactly the same ingredients listed right on the jug. Prestone AM is obstensibly an all makes anti-freeze because it doesn't contain silicates (Japanese requirement) and no phosphates (European requirement), but whether it contains less 2-EH or not it is Dexcool as far as I'm concerned.

I can't speak for Peak LL but if it's a dexclone with 2-EHA then for all pratical purposes it is Dexcool since that is what makes Dexcool what it is. I know any traditional green anti-freeze contains silicates, but people have used them for years in Japanese cars and seem to have no problem. Put it this way, I'd fear using dexcool in a Japanese car more than I would a green silicate formula, mainly because 2-EHA might be hard on gaskets in a system that wasn't approved for 2-EHA.

Bottomline, if you don't want dexcool or 2-EHA then you don't want any dexclones either. And if you do want Dexcool then might as well get the licensed product and not a dexclone. Peak Global I think has a better long life inhibitor than the Japanese HOAT or long life coolants, and no silicates but it has no phosphates. I don't really think phosphates are necessary to protect aluminum anyway though. Peak Global might be more compatible with residual coolants than say G-05 when switching anti-freezes.

Last edited:
The universal coolants like Prestone AM LL and Peak LL are not dexcool. But, one can call them that if they choose. On this board, the universal coolants have been referred to as dexclones because they contain do contain 2eha.

But, unlike dexcool, the Universal coolants also contain other ingredients, one specifically is carboxylate, which enable them to be used as a top fluid for all coolants. However to get the Long life guarantee, such as it is, a total flush required when using the Unversal coolants. Dexcool is not recommended as a top off fluid for anything other than Dexcool.

The universal coolants are also silicate and phosphate free as generally recommended by Asian makers. However Toyota does prefer some phosphate in the coolant, go figure.

But, if one is concerned about 2eha about then they should look for something other than the universal coolants. That said, the Universal coolants are by far the most prevalent coolant sold in all places coolant is sold. Awful lot of cars running the Universal coolants and dexcool with no issues.

The bottom line for me, I use a coolant like Peak Long Life, because I service the cooling system regularly to the car makers recommendation and therefore no concerns about 2-eha. I also have no intention of taking it to 5yrs/50k.

This article is about as good as I've seen the on topic of coolant.

The Ford dealer is fairly reasonable on MC Gold G-05 for ~$12-$13. Not bad, and easy to find and comes in full strength. I really do wish Peak GL full strength was more readily available.

The article sayjac recommended above contains some significant errors. Japanese P-OAT coolant chemistry is fundamentally different from North American and European coolant chemistry including the formulations used by Peak, Prestone, Texaco, Zerex, and Motorcraft except for Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant (which reportedly is identical to Mazda FL22 coolant) and Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant. All of the major Japanese manufactures--not just Toyota--use P-OAT coolants. (See http://www.ashland.com/press_room/news_detail.asp?s=1700 for Valvoline's take on this issue.) Even Ford recently started using P-OAT coolant in vehicles with engines jointly developed with Mazda. It formerly used G-05.

Traditional green coolant is not well-suited to aluminum engines. The pH (~10.5) is wrong; aluminum engines are most resistant to corrosion when the pH is 7.8-8.3. See http://www.hydro-zoneinc.com/[email protected]/Water%20Treatment%20Information/molybdate_fall2006analyst.pdf.

For an overview of P-OAT coolant technology, see http://www.astm.org/JOURNALS/JAI/PAGES/JAI100368.htm. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get copies of ASTM articles for free on the internet. I got mine through a university library interloan program.

For the record, Dex-Cool contains carboxylate. Carboxylate is the conjugate base of a caboxylic acid, of which there are many including 2-EHA.

Ponderosa you seem very knowledgable about coolants and I do agree with most all of what you said. I'll have to check those links. They look like good links. The only thing I would say though is traditional green may be more alkaline or basic than ideal for alumiminum but its silicates seem to help protect aluminum well along with I believe it has phosphates, and it protects iron well, plus cooling systems tend to turn acidic, many engines had iron blocks and aluminum heads and it seemed to work very well in older Japanese cars despite having silicates and a higher pH. Actually it worked fine in European cars too since hard water and phosphates weren't a problem.

Would you agree that most Japanese OA choice isn't the longest protecting and best and what do you think of Peak Global's inhibitor and G-05 for that matter?

Then again, ponderosa has recently stated in this recent thread that Super Tech, Peak Long Life/Extended Life and Global Life all appear to be the same, with NON containing 2eha, and that the add pack additive package NJTSRN QT1 makes them the same. Great, even better for Peak LL, and ST (Prestone) users. Read the entire thread.

If that were the case then this whole discussion regarding Universal coolants being "dexclones", is moot. Also, the long search for Peak Global Life full strength would be unneccessary. However, an email sent by a member (IIRC, tenderloin) to/from Peak/Old World and posted on this board said (paraphrase), that while both Peak LL and Peak GL are Long Life coolants when used as directed, Global Life Time contains no 2eha, while LL does.
21.gif

Now, while the still new Valvoline/Ashland/Xerex Asian formula may be the greatest thing for Asian cars since sliced bread, it suffers from 2 practical drawbacks for users. Like PGL it's difficult (if not impossible) to find, and it only comes in a 50/50 premix. The latter making it very difficult to achieve a 50% or greater cooling system concentration (when doing a total flush), unless you can easily access block drains. So, why no full strength? $$$$$ Ashland's take on the issue would quite naturally support Ashland's new product.

As for G-05, if I owned a Ford or Chrysler calling for it, that's what I'd use. It can generally be purchased from a Ford dealer or NAPA for a semi reasonable price.

I'm satisfied with with Peak LL in my Nissan, and have used similar in a Toyota for ~ 5years with no issues. IMO, if you can find the full strength, Peak Global Life would be also be a good choice, for these vehicles.

Lastly though, the most important thing I've taken from reading this board for some time is no matter the coolant, regular service of a cooling system will serve the owner well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back