Good Generator Info Web Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this page while researching generators:
http://members.rennlist.org/warren/generator.html

What concerned me was his experience with a Generac 5500XL, (6875 watt surge) struggling to start a well pump. I would think a good size generator such as that could handle it easily.

However, he measured the draw and the well pump was pulling 6500 watts on start up!
eek.gif

Perhaps I should be looking for a gen set with an 8500 watt surge capacity.

IMO always get a gen bigger then you need,you never know what the future holds,i have a 8700 surge.Starts anything i have at home easily.

Surge capacity always leaves more to be desired, you may as well add %20 to the surge capacity you buy in order to have it handle it properly.

Get a clip on ammeter and measure *your* well pump's start up draw. Every one is different.

I figure with that being "the biggie" you can easily get that running comfortably then add your fridge and lights. Unless you want to go all-auto with the transfer switch.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get a clip on ammeter and measure *your* well pump's start up draw. Every one is different.

I figure with that being "the biggie" you can easily get that running comfortably then add your fridge and lights. Unless you want to go all-auto with the transfer switch.

A clip on will only give you the start surge IF it has PEAK HOLD. A clip on digital without PEAK HOLD or an analog with an indicator needle movement will not show you the peak current because they are too slow to respond, and or do not hold the peak reading long enough for you to read it.

If the meter does not have PEAK HOLD you may fool yourself into thinking that the peak amount is much less than it is.

i'd consider looking to see if the pump has a soft start kit before going bonkers with the genset. they are not expensive, probably less than the different in genset cost, and relieves much fuel management stress during a long term outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back