Good cheap tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with a good cheap tire they can recommend? I'm going to sell a car in the next few weeks. It's a 2001 Dodge Intrepid which I have recently taken responsibility for and it will need new tires before I sell it (the ones on it are pretty bad).

Used tires from Craigslist. Around $150 installed. No way I'd spend $400 on an 01 Intrepid your going to sell.

Why does it need new tires before you sell ?

If its an immediate safety issue then I would go with the suggestion of the used tires.

Your gambling that the new buyer will value your tire choice enough to offset the $400 you laid out.

Unless its an immediate safety issue I would just factor it into the selling price and let potential buyers know

As long as they hold air on an 01 Intrepid that your selling I'd let the new owner take care of it. Or drop $400 off your asking price.(cough, cough)

If the tires are illegal just get some cheap used ones. Fitting new anything to an old car to help it sell is often a waste of money and some people prefer to buy their favourite tires and not see a car with some El cheapo supermarket specials fitted.
Some muppet had fitted Michelin fuel savers to a Volvo I bought and I will be glad to get rid of them next year as the wet braking distance figures for fuel savers is never good.
I always buy good used Dunlops and the fact the summer tyres were fuel savers nearly put me off buying the car.

+3 on the used ones. If you have to lay out a couple hundred to get a new safety inspection this is a worthwhile repair in some jurisdictions. Otherwise let the buyer deal.

Intrepids have lousy resale b/c of the 2.7 V6 anyway. For all you know a buyer will part it out for their other mopar.

You will spend a few hundred on garbage tires, but you will never make it back on that car. Set your price accordingly, let the seller use the "It needs new tires" line to get a few hundred off, then you're both happy.

I HATE it when a decent used car has garbage new tires on it. I would much rather buy it with bad tires and put my own on it.

FWIW Sams Club usually has BF Goodrich for a good price, and often have a $60 off sale.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Does anyone have experience with a good cheap tire they can recommend? I'm going to sell a car in the next few weeks. It's a 2001 Dodge Intrepid which I have recently taken responsibility for and it will need new tires before I sell it (the ones on it are pretty bad).

Good tire isn't cheap. Cheap tire isn't good.

But if you're selling the car anyway, why do you care if the tire is good or not?

FWIW as far as marketing the buyer will wonder what a car needs. When they find it they're ready to spend.

Leave the bald tires on as a decoy, they will feel all smug testing it with a penny and abe lincolns head then you can get on with getting your thousand bucks for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back