GM to test self-driving taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
Can someone tell me again why we need a self-driving car?

A: To drive people who can't drive, such as drunks, children and elderly people.

In the year 2056 your grand kids will be asking "Why did humans need to steer cars before? Were cars that primitive and dumb?"

you ever been in a taxi? Those guys are borderline criminal how they screw people over. Taking longer routes, finding traffic. Saying their card machine doesn't work etc. I think a self driving taxi will keep it honest.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I think a self driving taxi will keep it honest.
You underestimate the corrupt-ness of local government.

When only one self-driving taxi service is authorised for a given area, watch what happens to the rates.

Sure. Hopefully it will keep people like the guy who started this thread off the road. Or his post in this thread where he can't even park a car without smacking a curb.

There are some people who simply not competent enough to own a vehicle nor drive a vehicle. It's those people that a self-driving car will help protect the rest of us against.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If I ever see a self driving car anywhere near me, I'm going the other way.

The future is coming whether you like it or not.

People on horse and buggies said the same thing about them there horseless carriages.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

People on horse and buggies said the same thing about them there horseless carriages.

The step to self driving vehicles is a bit more complicated. The idea is coming but I think the roads and places that such a vehicle travels will be the controlling factor. What's needed is an electronic and invisible rail guidance and control system. Without such an infrastructure to support driverless vehicles you're going to be waiting a long, long time.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

The step to self driving vehicles is a bit more complicated. The idea is coming but I think the roads and places that such a vehicle travels will be the controlling factor. What's needed is an electronic and invisible rail guidance and control system. Without such an infrastructure to support driverless vehicles you're going to be waiting a long, long time.

I don't know. The Google car seems to do just fine driverless without a fancy infrastructure.

In the future, very few people will own cars. Just call for uber, a driverless car will show up and drive you where you want to go. Insurance rates for actually driving a car will be very expensive. Life will be a lot simpler and safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back