GM Fell Behind Toyota in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family has owned GM, Ford, Chrysler, Hyundai, Honda, and Nissan products.

They all averaged the same amount of repairs, none of them were awful and the only one to have engine/transmission failure was a 2000 Acura TL.

I really with this bashing would end.

And remember, whatever you answer is what any Honda/Toyota/Nissan will go, plus another 50K.

Example: "I got 150K on a Ford.."

"That's nothing! Hondas will go 200K easy.."

Originally Posted By: brianl703
And remember, whatever you answer is what any Honda/Toyota/Nissan will go, plus another 50K.

Example: "I got 150K on a Ford.."

"That's nothing! Hondas will go 200K easy.."

LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I looked at the Tacoma (not that I would really buy one haha) and the Colorado gives you MUCH more for the money, looks a lot better, and was more comfortable to drive. Also AMERICAN MADE!!! from a USA MANUFACTURER. GO USA!!!

Define "much more."

A loaded LT Colorado for the price of a stripped Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Also last I checked the Toyota Tundra is made in a plant in TEXAS so it's just as "American Made" as the other stuff...

Wrong. The profits go back to Japan. The assembly plant is located in the USA to avoid import tariffs. Final assembly is only a part of the total operation. There are usually a smaller percentage of American made parts from American manufacturers. The assembly plants mostly employ lower paid non-union workers. GM by itself employ more Americans than all the foreign transplants combined. Same for Ford. This site has an amazing number of internet know-nothings.

Whats the difference whether the cars are made in America employing Amercians and profits flow to Japan, or Like the Big-3 which employ Americans and have most of their parts made in China and overseas? At least there is job security and a stable economy with a company that sells products versus one that doesn't... Time to rethink your logic.
wink.gif

the big 3 is in trouble that's for sure. We have StevieC, whose dad who is retired from Chrysler, his mom bought a Kia. Another poster said his dad retired from the big 3, he won't buy big 3 vehicles. it's that bad for the big3 ..

My family and I would in a minute go back and buy a "Big-3" vehicle but they need to carry the products we are looking for with the features, durability and price we are looking for. Until then it's Hyundai/Kia for us... We are happy with this brand and the vehicles have been nothing but great for us. My mom is on her second Kia (first one was in an accident at 110K Km) and the second one has 75K Km so far with not 1 problem I have 150K on mine with no problems and my sister has a used 2000 Elantra that she beats the snot out of and doesn't maintain it the way she should with over 200,000KM on it and all we replaced were Oxygen Sensors... I also have a spare car which is a '95 Neon and I can't begin to tell you what I have put into that car...
smirk2.gif

I want to support the Big-3 but with my families own experiences plus what I have seen from my dads repairing years as a Mechanic and all the stories you hear, it's pretty hard to trust them right now... I need my Dollar to go farther these days, and the Big-3 just don't do that for me...
wink.gif

]I need my Dollar to go farther these days, and the Big-3 just don't do that for me...
wink.gif

You need your dollar to go farther because you've given so many of them away to foreign countries. If you want to blame someone blame the people who keep foreigners employed.

Then I Blame the US business... They are the ones that started the whole "Lets Buy Chinese Made Everything and sell it in Box Stores" Then they opened up box stores all over the world that put small business out of business.

What were we supposed to do?

Yah ok... Like we had a choice!
wink.gif

My family and I would in a minute go back and buy a "Big-3" vehicle but they need to carry the products we are looking for with the features, durability and price we are looking for. Until then it's Hyundai/Kia for us... We are happy with this brand and the vehicles have been nothing but great for us. My mom is on her second Kia (first one was in an accident at 110K Km) and the second one has 75K Km so far with not 1 problem I have 150K on mine with no problems and my sister has a used 2000 Elantra that she beats the snot out of and doesn't maintain it the way she should with over 200,000KM on it and all we replaced were Oxygen Sensors... I also have a spare car which is a '95 Neon and I can't begin to tell you what I have put into that car...
smirk2.gif

I want to support the Big-3 but with my families own experiences plus what I have seen from my dads repairing years as a Mechanic and all the stories you hear, it's pretty hard to trust them right now... I need my Dollar to go farther these days, and the Big-3 just don't do that for me...
wink.gif

So let me get this right, you're going to compare the reliability of a 14 year old car to your 2006 Hyundai? I had a 95 neon that I bought new in 7/1994. I got rid of it with 182k miles on it. From new to 140k all I changed on it was an o2 sensor. At 140k, the bearing on the timing belt tensioner pulley froze while my brother was going 85 mph on the highway, so of course every valve on that head was bent. I pulled it off, had it rebuilt and drove it another 40k until I sold it.

Perhaps you didn't read my post.. I have seen lots from my dad repairing them. Just because he's retired now doesn't mean that he doesn't still fix cars for friends/family etc. I have seen it all. Trust me I wouldn't be pointing the finger at the Big-3 unwarranted. Pretty sure I have good evidence, that and my dad working for the Big-3 for 20 years...

Oh I read your post, along with the 1,000 other posts where you have managed to find a way to bash an entire continent of vehicles. I was responding to the example of the vehicle you provided in your post.

American cars might be total junk, I don't know. I have been lucky and had a positive experience with all of the vehicles my family has owned.

I come to this site to learn more about repair and maintenance of cars, and be able to talk to others who have a working knowledge also. The continued attacks are not helpful and frankly getting old.

Look around... Everyone is bashing them with just cause IMO. If you have a bad experience it is human nature to inform others to spare them making the same mistake. I have always said in my posts that I would change my mind in a heart-beat if they would fix the issues that turn me off their cars as would others i'm sure... If you don't like the discussion don't read it or comment on it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The economy is the same for both GM and Toyota.

Not historically in my opinion. Toyota vs. GM is a David and Goliath story in the last 40 years from a North American market share position.

When you factor Toyota being weighed down with foreign exchange issues and punitive/protectionist tariffs against GM being supported by bail-outs and subsidies every decade or so it is frankly shocking and embarassing for GM that Toyota has still beaten the odds and taken the no.1 spot.

I have owned a GM vehicle continuously for 12 years, and I grew up in a GM family. I'm still interested in their full sized trucks for the time being, but really, I get why toyota is number 1. My parents do too, and have been buying toyota's exclusively for the last 20 years after getting fed up with GM. They love their cars and car manufacturer now.

It's too bad really. Toyota won, and GM helped them by mediocrity and in many cases contempt for their customers after the sale. I have experienced that many times. My family has too. It's different with Toyota. It really is. And I'm a guy that would like to support GM.

Whats the difference whether the cars are made in America employing Amercians and profits flow to Japan, or Like the Big-3 which employ Americans and have most of their parts made in China and overseas?

Please show me an American built American brand car that has most of its parts built in China or overseas.

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/files/scorecards/Ford_v_Toyota.pdf

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/files/scorecards/GM_v_Toyota.pdf

Note the model year domestic content in particular.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Whats the difference whether the cars are made in America employing Amercians and profits flow to Japan, or Like the Big-3 which employ Americans and have most of their parts made in China and overseas?

Please show me an American built American brand car that has most of its parts built in China or overseas.

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/files/scorecards/Ford_v_Toyota.pdf

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/files/scorecards/GM_v_Toyota.pdf

Note the model year domestic content in particular.

Like I said earlier. This site is filled with internet know-nothings. This kid works at Subway, but acts like an expert on how bad domestic cars suk. They can't produce any facts for all their make believe stories. Yep, everyone I have ever known with an American cars has had lots more problems than my Hyndai. Wait until that Hyundai pukes a transmission and see what it costs. When confronted by the facts, there will be another false fact they will throw at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back