Gluten sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here s one link in order to help you with Celiac Disease : http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&nav=messages&listMode=1&prettyurl=%2Fceliac%2Fmessages%2F%3FlistMode%3D1&gid=162072673

Western diet bread is the staple. Asian diet rice is the staple which is gluten free.

Actually brown rice is considered a whole grain. As far as flour used in the East is not wheat but more rice flour.

What's fast food made of in general .... not rice but more refined wheat.

The word "staple" should be replaced with the word "filler"

"staple" implies that it's necessary.

Like I said..."filler".

As it states, you can be malnourished, while eating only "staples"...you can be perfectly nourished without them, so they aren't really "staple".

On the side note the rise in obesity and diabetes maybe link to GMO crops which screws the internals.

For example in a forest there is no utopia...there are pest, diseases but there is a reason for it. Pest maybe food for insects, birds and others. Diseases are never good but because of it a host plant builds strength from it to survive. In the soil fungi and microbes plays a huge role cleansing the soil and keeping it healthy. Man is part of the forest, he feeds on the natural food and what goes into his digestive is similar to the society soil structure. When man tries to alter things he doesn't have the capacity the fully understand the natural functions in a forest.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...ds-hazards.aspx

A member of my household has been gluten-free for almost 2 years now.

A few suggestions I can offer:

Instead of using "gluten free" substitutes for the foods you normally ate, try to eat things that don't have gluten in the first place. Vegetables, meat, eggs, whole-milk yogurt, rice, quinoa, potatoes and oats, for instance. The products with substitute ingredients generally taste funky and are expensive.

Rice pasta is OK in homemade macaroni and cheese, but not so good by itself. Ancient Harvest corn and quinoa blend pasta is the tastiest we have found to use in traditional pasta dishes.

+1 to the comment above on bread--GF bread is only edible toasted, and is extremely expensive. Udi's brand is the favorite here. They also make a pizza crust that's passable.

For breakfast cereal substitutes, there are several granolas that can work--the best just don't have gluten, as opposed to the "gluten free" ones with exotic subsitutes. Love Grown brand is one of the better ones.

Bisquick now has a GF pancake mix that's ok, better than others we've tried. Forget brownie mixes and the like. They'll just make you mad that you spent the money. You can make pretty good peanut butter chocolate chip cookies without flour. We have a cornbread recipe that uses 1 part flour to 3 parts cornmeal. The GF all-purpose flour substitute works ok in that.

If you don't already, you'll need to start reading labels closely. You'll be surprised just how many foods have wheat. More labels are noting wheat as an allergen or are saying "gluten free," but not all.

Finally, if you go to someone else's house to eat, they will mean well but may still prepare food for you with gluten. Make sure you don't arrive hungry. Restaurants are hit or miss, too. Some will have a GF menu or knowledge about what dishes you can eat, but others won't.

Good luck. I hope this diet change works for you.

I've actually had decent luck with gluten free brownie mixes. The directions on every one I've tried have needed a bit of adjusting, but I've gotten pretty good, very fudgy brownies out of a couple of them. They're not quite the same, but still good.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I maintain that the unqualified promotion of grains is misleading. If you look at the glycemic index of most whole grains versus refined, the difference is usually small. If a body has trouble stabilizing blood sugar levels, then whole grains in significant quantities will trigger the same problem refined grains will.

I agree. While there may be a slight trend difference, the fundamentals remain the same.

I went paleo 6 months ago and havent looked back. My uniforms that I got fitted for while I was in shape are now loose. Im never tired or lethargic after eating. I sleep better at night and wake right up in the morning. My IBS is gone, and I never get heartburn anymore which were my only two ailments.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
I went paleo 6 months ago and havent looked back. My uniforms that I got fitted for while I was in shape are now loose. Im never tired or lethargic after eating. I sleep better at night and wake right up in the morning. My IBS is gone, and I never get heartburn anymore which were my only two ailments.

My grandfather was very similar to Masanobu Fukuoka's (The One-Straw Revolution). His diet was a Paleo Diet-wild pig, fish, seaweed, free range chicken(also eggs), limpet(opihi), fruits and vegetables all natural. Seafood scraps was recycled back into the soil as well as green veggie matters. You could feel the vibes of a man that was earth as what he fed his family. Brutal hard work a test for any man being paid $1 a day on the plantation., Big Island.

He dies of stomach cancer as he loved his Ochazuke, rice with tea. It was the rice that cause his cancer. His only flaw according to the Paleo Diet.

Wow everyone thanks for the support and advice. Its been a couple weeks now and I can tell a definite improvement.

I was starting to doubt the switch to gluten free until Thanksgiving dinner. I purposefully ate regular food to see if I could tell a difference. And boy could I tell. That night and the next day or two I had low energy and I was in a bad mood for no reason. Also messed up my potty routine pretty bad. Its weird how delayed the reaction is to regular food. Its not like food poisoning where its immediate.

I'm glad I justified the switch to gluten free with that experiment.

I made gluten free banana bread yesterday and we ate healthy all weekend. Feeling great now.

That's pretty much what I found when I learned that I was celiac. Up until I stopped eating gluten, it never seemed to bother me. Once I stopped, it was very obvious if I consumed any.

Yes, I also went gluten free about 7 months ago, and what a difference! I'm 47 years old, and I don't know what caught up with me, but the last few years have been pretty bad until I changed.

My sister, officially is Celiac. Me, I've found that I don't need to be super strict (yet?) but I've eliminated the basics and I feel so much better that I have no desire to go back.

I still eat things that contain minor amounts of wheat, such as certain sauces (soy sauce, condiments, etc.) and don't seem to have trouble with them.

The experiences that several have mentioned here are exactly what I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
He dies of stomach cancer as he loved his Ochazuke, rice with tea. It was the rice that cause his cancer. His only flaw according to the Paleo Diet.

So the official diagnosis was rice induced cancer?

Im no fan of rice or wheat, but that doesnt sound exactly right to me...

I want to spell out the before and after, just in case anyone comes here and wants to know more. Some of this might be described as "Gee, I didn't want to know that!", but if you are suffering symptoms, you need to know.

Before the dietary changes, I would feel bloated often. After eating, I would soon need to "eliminate", and usually a very low quality elimination would take place. Much of the time it was a diahrea, and I would have a sensation that there was more to eliminate but I couldn't.

My blood pressure was high. My energy level was low.

Certain foods (if you can call them foods) would really make me sick, like Oreo-type cookies and crackers, and pie crust. Those things really made me sick! I came to realize that food was literally racing through my body and coming out the other end as soon as it could. This made me crave food even more, because I was constantly hungry. I felt that if a meal was delayed, for any reason, I'd be so frustrated because I needed to eat right now!

After going on the diet, I literally felt better as soon as the bad food was out of my system. My blood pressure goes down, my energy level goes up, and within a few days my time in the bathroom gets better.

However, the longer that I've pursued this, the better I get. After about six months, everything started to get MUCH better. I also take probiotics and eat more yogurt. I think that has helped. Initially, I lost weight. I think, about 10 pounds, but I didn't have that much to loose (not as much as some people!). I have total confidence in weight control now. I feel like I can decide to lose and I can lose it, if I choose. And if I miss a meal, no big deal, my stomach is not crying out for more.

I hope this is helpful for someone!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

So the official diagnosis was rice induced cancer?

Im no fan of rice or wheat, but that doesnt sound exactly right to me...

He drank a potent veggie mix which he grew from his garden. Need to realize growing your own food was no HOBBY. Having the luxury of having food at all times was not optimal as white rice was a major food source as a filler.

When your body ages when your very old your functions are very sensitive. His later years(20 years) he was more of a vegetarian as to ease the strain on the organs as they are not as strong as when younger we all age. He also continued to eat Ochazuke(rice-green tea). Also the type of work involved there were some that died in their 40's from over hard work, the body just gave out.

According from the doctor he suspected it was the rice in his later years that had played a factor in causing the stomach cancer.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Instead of using "gluten free" substitutes for the foods you normally ate, try to eat things that don't have gluten in the first place. Vegetables, meat, eggs, whole-milk yogurt, rice, quinoa, potatoes and oats, for instance. The products with substitute ingredients generally taste funky and are expensive.

I agree. Not only are these "gluten free" processed foods expensive and odd tasting, they also tend to contain unusual ingredients you might not want to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back