Giugiaro and his influence on car design

Giugiaro is one of the most accomplished designers. While mostly known for his vehicle designs he has designed things like motorcycles, telephones, cameras, watches, and firearms. In the 1960s he came up with the wedge shape and the origami car design.

In 1873 he designed for Audi the Asso Di Picchi (Ace of Spades) concept car.

Audi the Asso Di Picchi (Ace of Spades), concept, 1981

While Audi did not bring the car to market, VW had him design the Scirocco (MK I) which was released in 1974 just a few months before the original Golf which was also his design. The Scirocco has a toned-down wedge shape and the origami design which is marked by sharp lines that resemble the creases in folded paper.

Scirocco, 1974

In 1975 Giugiaro was hired by DeLorean to design their DMC. which was released in 1981. This vehicle has a wedge shape and an origami design.
DeLorean DMC

When time came to replace the Scirocco MK I with a successor, VW decided to do and in-house design update based on the MK I. In 1981 the Scirocco MK II was released. The model stayed in production until 1992. The vehicle actually beasr quite a resemblance to the DMC while being less dramatically styled.

Scirocco MK II, 1981

Also in 1981, Isuzu released the Impulse,. The Impulse resembled the Scirocco MK II closely and the rumor rose that VW had rejected Giugario's design for the Scirocco MK 2 and that Giugiaro has sold the design to Isuzu. This rumor is unfounded. Giugiaro had sold Isuzu a design that was from the late '60s and Isuzu ran with it.

Isuzu Impulse, 1981

Giugiaro designed many other wedge-shaped cars such as the

Bizzarini Manta, 1968
Porsche Tapiro, 1970
Maserati Boomerang, 1970
BMW M1
Hyundai Pony, 1974
Lotus Esprit, 1975 (designed in 1972)

Giugiaro is 85 years old in 2023. His design influences can be seen everywhere. Talk about a prolific career!

I just remember these badges on Eagle Premiers.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 225620.jpg

The Eagle Premier was a co-design. Usually, his designs don't say his name on the product. I guess they paid him for some final touches or whatnot so they could slap his name on the car.

They're probably just a product of their times. Those futuristic wedge-shaped designs of the 70s are very different from the aggressive, angry-looking SUVs and the "bold new Camrys" of today.

Exactly. Much like fashion. They blend well with the mens "Leisure Suits" and "Members Only" jackets of that same era. Today you wouldn't want to be caught dead in either.

Which is why I'm guessing, we're going to have people looking at the whole tattoo craze of today, much the same way in 20 or 30 years from now.... The only problem is you can't give your tattoo's to Goodwill or St. Vincent Depaul.

Exactly. Much like fashion. They blend well with the mens "Leisure Suits" and "Members Only" jackets of that same era. Today you wouldn't want to be caught dead in either.

Which is why I'm guessing, we're going to have people looking at the whole tattoo craze of today, much the same way in 20 or 30 years from now.... The only problem is you can't give your tattoo's to Goodwill or St. Vincent Depaul.
Just wait until those tattoos get all smeary. They will and it's not a good look. You can get tattoos off with a laser. Laser removals will be a new growth business.

As for the car designs, I really like a couple of them - Scirocco and Lotus Esprit.

Does anyone else see the Tesla pick-up in these wedge designs?

Back