Getty oil and filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3 yr old truck is out of the warranty period and i'm thinking of having my local Getty station do the oil/filter changes. However,i have no idea how good their oil and oil filters are. I'm looking for some opinions
Thanks

If their oil meets current specs (SM) it should be fine for up to a 5K OCI. Their filters are probably made by Champion Labs or Purolator and they also should be fine.

Best thing to do is talk to them. Ask what brand and weight of bulk oil they use and what brand of filters. Post back if you have any questions. Independent service stations can do whatever they want; they are not bound by any particular brands. This may be especially true of Getty, which is now owned by Lukoil, as I understand it.

I asked the gas station who,what,and where they used. The answer i got was that its "the best products on the market".
O.K., so much for asking the seller. I got on Getty's web page to try to find out about their products..nothing but how they are being aquired by LUKOIL. did the same search with LUKOIL with no results hence, i asked here.

Quote:

I asked the gas station who,what,and where they used. The answer i got was that its "the best products on the market".
O.K., so much for asking the seller. I got on Getty's web page to try to find out about their products..nothing but how they are being aquired by LUKOIL. did the same search with LUKOIL with no results hence, i asked here.

"the best products on the market"...I dont know I just dont like that response. He's either treating you like an idiot customer that will take that response an accept it or he doesnt know Bull$*** about whats being used in the garage. I have gone to mobil gas stations for Mobil 1 oil changes, Ive gone to pep boys with no problem and Ive brought my own oil and filter to my local mechanic for a change. Check around Im sure you will find something that will suit you.
OHhhh....I've never seen getty oil soo they may just use any ol brand they can get for cheap. Good Luck!!

I just talked to the owner of another Getty station and he said he uses group 7 oil filters and oil from a generic manufacture/distributor. He said i could bring in my own preferred oil and filter and he would still change the oil.
I guess i can't ask for anything more.
I'm amazed there are so many makers of oil and filters.

Frankly, I wouldn't patronize them. If they can't be specific about their bulk oil, then I would go somewhere else. Even Walmart tells you what you're getting for your money.

Bulk oil comes from a distributor or local blender, and is usually(hopefully) blended to known formulas for the spec's required. Guess what? every dealer, quicklube and independent shop buying bulk, gets what is available locally. What more do you want in specifics?

There are several filter manufacturers that make filters 'rebranded' for 100's of various name brands.

If a shop lets you bring your own oil and filters, that, IMO, is enough of a reason to visit them. But, just make sure you watch your products being added to your vehicle.

Walmart doesn't tell you what you are getting. You are just hoping that the bottle info is correct and that their blender is cutting corners.

Your right about the bulk oil and somewhat generic oil filters. In my research i found that many think a special brand is the only one to use. Wrong!! there is no gurantee
to that thinking. I'm reminded of the issues with brand names such as Castrol,Sears,and Quaker State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back