Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Sounds like you sir, have Malware! Congratulations
grin2.gif

Try a scan with A-Squared.

If so, then apparently "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" is not finding it. You think I still have some malware on my machine? "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" did find and fix my original problem as I discussed in my first post in this thread.

Got a link to A-Squared? ... never heard of it.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

There you go sir!

Thanks OVERKILL!
thumbsup2.gif

So, how many different Spyware, Malware, etc programs can I use before things start conflicting with each other?

Sounds like you sir, have Malware! Congratulations
grin2.gif

Try a scan with A-Squared.

If so, then apparently "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" is not finding it. You think I still have some malware on my machine? "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" did find and fix my original problem as I discussed in my first post in this thread.

Got a link to A-Squared? ... never heard of it.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

There you go sir!

Thanks OVERKILL!
thumbsup2.gif

So, how many different Spyware, Malware, etc programs can I use before things start conflicting with each other?

A huge pile. Most of them are stand-alone scanner, which won't conflict.

A huge pile. Most of them are stand-alone scanner, which won't conflict.

That's good. I guess it makes sense that most of these free scanning programs are stand along. Looks like if you buy the full blown versions, they have real time scanning features, which I could possibly see conflicts if you have 2 or 3 of these running at a time.

Anyway - here's an update on my progress so far. I downloaded and installed SUPERAntiSpyware (aka SAS). Booted up in Safe Mode and did a full scan. It found 2 items in my Registry that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware never detected.

They were identified as "Unclassified.Unknown Origin", but were associated with Registry Keys for: C:\WINDOWS\System32\sdra64.exe

I quarantined and removed them ... well, actually SAS removed them, I thought I was just quarantining them - might have been a mis-click on my part.

I also noticed that when I rebooted back and out of Safe Mode, that SUS did not have a log saved of what it did while in Safe Mode. I re-ran it in Quick Scan and it found a few adware cookies and DID create a log after those were removed. Wonder if there is a functionality bug in SUS of not saving logs while it's ran with Windows in Safe Mode (?).

Anyway, guess I'll load up A-Squared next and see what it finds. I think my HD is on fire from all the scanning going on.
lol.gif

Just and update on my scanning experiences. I downloaded A-Squared and ran a "Deep Scan" ... took nearly 2 hrs. It found 57 items up an beyond what Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware found. 19 of these items were in the "High Risk" catagory.

This was the one that A-Squared seemed to focus on as being the worst one found:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\51D.tmp Quarantined Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Microjoin!IK

A-Squared seems to have worked better than Malwarbytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I ran Malwarebytes, which fixed my original problem, then ran Super AntiSpyware, which found some additional adware. Then ran A-Squared and it found 19 High Risk items that neither of the first two found. Guess you can't have too many scanning programs in the tool bag.

My pick would be to use A-Squared if you only wanted on good scanning tool. Might even be worth while buying the full blow version of A-Squared.

I can see a definite improvement in the loading speed of IE8 now. I usually use Firefox, and IE8 sometimes, and can tell it's definitely quicker now.

Another question about all this malware, etc. What is the danger of this [censored] capturing my usernames, passwords, etc while on my machine?

What malware/spyware description name would be associated with this kind of keystroke tracker?

Another question about all this malware, etc. What is the danger of this [censored] capturing my usernames, passwords, etc while on my machine?

What malware/spyware description name would be associated with this kind of keystroke tracker?

You're not worried about identity theft?

Do you do online shopping? If yes, then check your credit card statement carefully.Maybe your card number has been stolen.

Do you do online banking? If yes, your account can be emptied of cash faster than I can type this.

You might get reimbursed, but only after a lot of grief and frustration.

If any of them were keyloggers..... I would be worried.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste

You're not worried about identity theft?

Of course I am ... why would I ask that question otherwise?

Like I said earlier in the thread, I use sypware and anti-virus software that is provided through my IE provider and is updated daily, and has active scanning going on, etc. Apparently, it doesn't work as well I it should.

Non of the scanners picked up anything with any kind of "key logger" description associated with them. I'm thinking if there was a keylogger virus the scanning program(s) would have identified them as such.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
But if I can do better with what you and Bill have suggested, then I'll probably just uninstall RegCure (it does have an uninstall feature).

I mis-spoke ... RegCure does not have an uninstall program, but I should be able to uninstall it in Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

Revo Uninstaller

Mamala Bay - I downloaded and installed Revo Uninstaller to get rid of RegCure. Revo works super slick! I was also able to uninstall some other old programs that I never use anymore. Thanks for the tip on that one.
thumbsup2.gif

Non of the scanners picked up anything with any kind of "key logger" description associated with them. I'm thinking if there was a keylogger virus the scanning program(s) would have identified them as such.

Good. And good to hear A-squared worked for you.

Who makes your ISP provided software?

There are some good offerings from ESET, Panda, Kaspersky....etc.

Good. And good to hear A-squared worked for you.

Thanks for the tip on that one ... I've already sent off the download page to a couple of friends.

Who makes your ISP provided software?

There are some good offerings from ESET, Panda, Kaspersky....etc.

The spyware is Webroot SpySweeper and the anti-virus is McAfee. Both are provided through MSN provider. They are updated continuously and run real time scanning.

After all my clean-up, the only thing that keeps showing up is SpySweeper gives me these two messages now and then.

The Internet Communication shield has blocked access to: D45648675.CN
The Internet Communication shield has blocked access to: 68.169.70.240

Are these websites that are trying to connect to my machine, or is my machine trying to connect to these websites because I still have some malware on my machine? Any ideas?

By the way it was worded, it sounds like your computer is trying to connect to those sites.

I know this is going to sound like a drawn-out procedure, and I guess it is but:

go to www.eset.com and run their on-line scanner.
go to www.antivirus.com and run their on-line scanner.
go to www.norton.com and run their on-line scanner.
go to www.kaspersky.com and run their on-line scanner.
go to www.pandasecurity.com and run their on-line scanner.

Whichever is able to fix your issue, buy their product
wink.gif

For a client of mine recently, it was Panda. For another, it was NOD32.

There is no single product that is going to be "it" for all situations. Finding the one that is "it" for YOUR situation is simply the best you can hope for.

OVERKILL - I ran the ESET on-line scanner and it found nothing. While it was scanning, SpySweeper logged the following alerts. I was doing nothing else ... only ESET was scanning and I had all other applications closed (ie, IE8, Firefox, MSN email, etc.)

1/1/2010 1:10:13 PM: The Internet Communication shield has blocked access to: D45648675.CN
1/1/2010 12:55:14 PM: The Internet Communication shield has blocked access to: 68.169.70.240
1/1/2010 12:27:14 PM: The Internet Communication shield has blocked access to: 68.169.70.240

I'm wondering if these websites are pinging my modem knowing I at one time was vulnerable a few days ago? Maybe I'll run my machine with the modem off to see if these alerts still happen - might give some insight to the trouble-shooting (?).

I'll try a few other on-line scanners you recommended above. Which one would you think is the best to try next?

OK - ran Trend Micro's "HouseCall 7.1". Did full scan, took almost 2 hrs. Found nothing. However, McAfee gave 5 Trojan alerts while HouseCall was running. Trojan was called "Exploit-ObscureHtml". It was associated with HouseCall, in process 'housecall.bin' in the Temp folder where this program apparently runs from - seems strange.

McAfee's website did not have any info on "Exploit-ObscureHtml", so don't know if this was real or false detection by McAfee.

Maybe Norton next? ... do you have to sign up for a "free trial"? Can't seem to find the free on-line scanner on Norton's website.

My HD is going to dead soon from all the scanning.
lol.gif
Doesn't seem to be anything left to detect.

OK - ran Trend Micro's "HouseCall 7.1". Did full scan, took almost 2 hrs. Found nothing. However, McAfee gave 5 Trojan alerts while HouseCall was running. Trojan was called "Exploit-ObscureHtml". It was associated with HouseCall, in process 'housecall.bin' in the Temp folder where this program apparently runs from.

McAfee's website did not have any info on "Exploit-ObscureHtml", so don't know if this was real or false detection by McAfee.

Maybe Norton next? ... my HD is going to dead soon from all the scanning.
lol.gif

Given that you've done all this scanning,cleanup, are you going to be 100% sure that there is nothing left that could possibly steal your credit card numbers,or banking information? If you cannot honestly say,that everything is 100% clean,I sure as [censored] wouldnt do any more banking or shopping online.

Reformat and get things 100% clean,IMO your risking alot with malware being able to steal your personal information.

Your call in the end,but your takin a risk.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Given that you've done all this scanning,cleanup, are you going to be 100% sure that there is nothing left that could possibly steal your credit card numbers,or banking information? If you cannot honestly say,that everything is clean,I sure as [censored] wouldnt do any more banking or shopping online.

Reformat and get things 100% clean,IMO your risking alot with malware being able to steal your personal information.

Your call in the end,but your takin a risk.

Nobody is 100% sure in the world of viruses, malware and spyware. All you can do it try to be protected the best way possible. What that takes is anyone's theory short of never getting on the internet.

I hear ya, but if there was something on my machine that could do that it's probably already too late. Best thing to do is change bank site log-in password and watch accounts closely - which I always do.

I don't think there was anything like a keylogger on my machine. I'm sure that one of the good 6 or 8 different scanning programs suggested here would have identified it as such during a scan. Some of this [censored] was probably on my machine before I got the big slug of malware 2 days ago when I knew something was obviously wrong.

I'd bet if 10 random people ran these scanners, probably 6 or 7 of them would find some kind of Trojan files on their computers.

OK - ran Trend Micro's "HouseCall 7.1". Did full scan, took almost 2 hrs. Found nothing. However, McAfee gave 5 Trojan alerts while HouseCall was running. Trojan was called "Exploit-ObscureHtml". It was associated with HouseCall, in process 'housecall.bin' in the Temp folder where this program apparently runs from - seems strange.

Maybe Norton next? ... do you have to sign up for a "free trial"? Can't seem to find the free on-line scanner on Norton's website.

My HD is going to dead soon from all the scanning.
lol.gif

This is common with antivirus software: Them finding each other as "infections".

I would run Panda next. And then Kaspersky.

This is common with antivirus software: Them finding each other as "infections".

I would run Panda next. And then Kaspersky.

I'm running Panda "ActiveScan 2.0" right now. It's about 26% of the way through and indicates 8 infected files. Of course, "Disinfection Advice" is to buy the product, but how do I know the infections it found are just stupid stuff like adware or something? Does it show which files are infected at the end of the scan? It's veeeery slow (file paths going by is much slower than other scanners) ... it's taken 1-1/2 hrs to scan 26%. The others took about 1 hr average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back