Getting ready to buy a smartphone through Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to buy a new smartphone through Amazon (Moto Droid Turbo - $99).

This new unit will replace an older phone (Moto RAZR M), that is on a single line plan with Verizon. I'm out of contact now, so that's not an issue.

Will Verizon automatically "upgrade" my service plan, with this change? (the replacement for my current plan would actually save me a few bucks a year, and include unlimited text messages.)

What is the activation process like, once I receive the phone? I've never gone this route before.

Thanks.

You should be able to activate the new phone via their website. The plan should not change since you did not get a phone from them. But you could request a new plan if desired.

I am of the buy the phone outright and no contract mindset.

$99 is for a 2 year contract. It is $599 with no contract.

I don't have a problem with a 2 year contract. This is my only phone (no landline at home), and having a good smartphone allows me additional freedom at my job.

Plus, I get a 20% discount on monthly service through Verizon.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
$99 is for a 2 year contract. It is $599 with no contract.

I don't have a problem with a 2 year contract. This is my only phone (no landline at home), and having a good smartphone allows me additional freedom at my job.

Plus, I get a 20% discount on monthly service through Verizon.

What plan is the question?
Good choice on phone, Love my Turbo.
If its unlimited data, you can't keep it
If its an old single line plan, it'll get updated.

If it's an unlimited plan, you can keep it by buying a phone out of contract. That's what I've done, I buy a new phone off ebay for about $400 and just use that. THen when I'm done with it, I sell it on ebay as a used phone in good condition (I take good care of my phones) and get a couple hundred bucks back for it.

I've been off contract and able to keep my unlimited plan for the past 3-4 years doing this.

No, I don't currently have/need an unlimited data plan.

Considering all of the places that have wi-fi anymore (including my office and at home), I barely use 2 GB of data the way it is.

I'm on an old plan that Verizon doesn't even offer anymore, that has 2GB of data.

If they "upgrade" my plan to what they offer today, I assume it would be the 2GB Smartphone Single Line plan for $75.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
No, I don't currently have/need an unlimited data plan.

Considering all of the places that have wi-fi anymore (including my office and at home), I barely use 2 GB of data the way it is.

I'm on an old plan that Verizon doesn't even offer anymore, that has 2GB of data.

If they "upgrade" my plan to what they offer today, I assume it would be the 2GB Smartphone Single Line plan for $75.

Then go for it.
Good phone, in your area Verizon may be your only realistic option, so you put up with slightly higher prices.

I bought my last phone through Amazon on contract, and it all went smoothly.

Where I am, it is a T-Mobile wasteland.. and Sprint is only marginally better. The only two reliable options for me are Verizon and AT&T.

AT&T is a few bucks cheaper per month, but I don't care for a single one of their current line up of phones.

I ride a motorcycle into some of the backwoodsiest areas of Kentucky, Arkansas, and West Virginia. That is the main reason why I'll tolerate paying Verizon a few bucks more each month. Had a buddy wipe out and total a motorcycle along the Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina, and I was the only one in the group who had service (and I was the only one on Verizon).

I've currently got a RAZR M on VZW and am looking to switch to Cricket.
$35/month for 2.5g data and unlimited everything else.
I'd be leaving a VZW unlimited data plan that is discounted and all (450 mins, unlimited data for $67).

Moto G is $25 after rebate. Refer a friend $25 discount, 3rd month free with $45+/month plan... (then I'll drop down to $35 - these include the $5 autopay discount) All in I'll spend half as much per year, and get a new Moto G (which specs very similarly to my two year old phone).
I've only hesitated b/c my phone is currently fine!

Cricket uses AT&T and there coverage is quite good here, where VZW used to be the best by far.

I bought my S3 through Amazon a while back, good experience. I would use them again. In my case I added a line and bought the phone on a 2 year contract, so different than your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back