German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I own a 2007 F150,4.2V6.I have always used MC 5W20,until recently.My last oil change was with Mobil Super 5K SN 5W20 (Thanx 2010_FX4).Does that matter?

Actually, maybe I didn't understand your question. Does what matter? That you switched from MC to MS5K? No.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/motor_oil_guide_2010_120210.pdf

Man,that's some great information!
thumbsup2.gif
How do you find articles like this?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I own a 2007 F150,4.2V6.I have always used MC 5W20,until recently.My last oil change was with Mobil Super 5K SN 5W20 (Thanx 2010_FX4).Does that matter?

Actually, maybe I didn't understand your question. Does what matter? That you switched from MC to MS5K? No.

I meant,is MC semi synthetic an SM oil and if it is does it matter that i'm now using a SN oil? From what I read on that great link you sent,SN oil has a better cleaning package then did the other oils.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....I still believe that GC is very popular.

The only reason for the fall off in demand is the API-SL spec that the GC is rated for use.

IMO....Many people are required to use a Dexos in GM and API-SM oil for their vehicles. Also it is a heavy 0W-30 and one of the "REAL TRUE SYNTHETIC" oils on the market.

IMO....Most people who used it in the past, with great results, wish they could still use GC.

Newer vehicles don't allow the spec SL, or the heavy weight of the real synthetic, to be used in current model vehicles so they will void their warranty, if they choose to use GC.

That reason, IMO, is another result of why most can't use GC. Hence, the fall off in popularity.

So, IMO, if you have an older vehicle and can run GC, SL, Real Synthetic, and like the Butt Dyno and UOA results......use it.

So I should avoid using SL GC in my 08 VW?

Check the bottle.
I think it will tell you that it meets VW's spec for your engine.
Every German maker has their own spec.
They don't rely upon API or ILSAC or any other generic spec.

Originally Posted By: mason1125
Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....I still believe that GC is very popular.

The only reason for the fall off in demand is the API-SL spec that the GC is rated for use.

IMO....Many people are required to use a Dexos in GM and API-SM oil for their vehicles. Also it is a heavy 0W-30 and one of the "REAL TRUE SYNTHETIC" oils on the market.

IMO....Most people who used it in the past, with great results, wish they could still use GC.

Newer vehicles don't allow the spec SL, or the heavy weight of the real synthetic, to be used in current model vehicles so they will void their warranty, if they choose to use GC.

That reason, IMO, is another result of why most can't use GC. Hence, the fall off in popularity.

So, IMO, if you have an older vehicle and can run GC, SL, Real Synthetic, and like the Butt Dyno and UOA results......use it.

So I should avoid using SL GC in my 08 VW?

Das Auto!

I have a '10 Mini Cooper S (Turbo) which lists CG as an optional oil. The recommended is 5W-30 BMW (Castrol) oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Check the bottle.

Correct, VAG cars do not ask for API/ILSAC, they want ACEA.

GC is VW 502/505 which means it's fine for modern VWs and Audis, except for diesels

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Check the bottle.

Correct, VAG cars do not ask for API/ILSAC, they want ACEA.

GC is VW 502/505 which means it's fine for modern VWs and Audis, except for diesels

Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back