German Castrol 0w30, 5000 miles '02 VW Passat 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

As for sludging, I would say that a multitude of factors contributed to the problem.

Yes, I agree. I don't think there is a single cause. Combine the turbo with the small sump, with the turbo lines being routed too close to the exhaust and there is virtually no margin for error. Introduce any sort of shock into the system such as incorrect oil, incorrect OCI, city driving, less than optimally tuned engine, and that's all she wrote.

Quote:

I would have a hard time understanding how you could tax an oil, just due to sump size, if the cooling system is adequate and an exchanger is in use. The oil temp should be fairly buffered along the contour of the coolant temp. Naturally extended hammering can surely trump this ...but there should be no inherent penalty due to the small sump temp-wise. Just trying to understand the defect.

One cause is that the combustion is an acid producer and the with smaller sump size there is less "base" (oil) to neutralize it. Others here explained everything well, I think.

Quote:

Also, 1.5 qts in a 1.8T is an extradinary amount of consumption as these engines can go up to 10k without make-up oil. I haven't seen this much consumption in one of these engines, even with GC. Something is up.

That deos seem very high. My wife's car 02 Passat 1.8T, using the same oil (07 GC Gold) used no oil over the course of 4500 miles. At least not enought to register on the dipstick.

Mike

My 02 Passat 1.8T with 90K has had nothing but Full synthetic since day 1. Most of it was with a 5W-40. I ran some modest extended drains, 6500 or so, but I stuck with the 5K recommended drain interval for the most part. My PCV system was completely clogged at 75K and was painstakingly replaced. I then followed up with two Auto-rx treatments. The bottom line is that I would never put a conventional motor oil in this engine. I now monitor the PCV system at every oil change.

How do you "monitor" the PCV? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm not automotively inclined.

My experience (ordeal) was very similar to Steve RI's for those that don't already know.

gnosis, I have the tranverse 1.8T, from the GTI, and I check the hose that comes off the valve cover nipple as well as the one that comes up from "below" and ventures toward the intake hose. I'm not sure how different yours is. When my PCV system was clogged, these hoses had buildup that's obvious as soon as it's seen. The valve cover nipple had it too...looked like dried black mud in there.

These VW are girly cars i cant believe how many BITOG menbers own and drive the GIRLY VW. I love blowing these GIRLY VW's off with my Lexus , its so funny to see the look on their faces when i leave them in the dust.

Quote:

These VW are girly cars i cant believe how many BITOG menbers own and drive the GIRLY VW. I love blowing these GIRLY VW's off with my Lexus , its so funny to see the look on their faces when i leave them in the dust.

Nothing better to do today?
dunno.gif

Im going to check my PCV right now. Its on the transverse 1.8T.

I never had ANY oil consumption.

Quote:

... until you have to turn.
driving.gif

Well I ll have to do this some other time. It is buried so far beneath the intake that it is really hard to get to. I will try to do it soon and post the results. Sorry guys.

My 1.8L was starting to show signs of deposits too before I traded it in. Lots of brown coating inside the oil fill hole and my last UOA suggested the beginning stages of deposit formation. That was at 70K miles. Used synthetic for most of the car's life.

Quote:

How do you "monitor" the PCV? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm not automotively inclined.

I know you posted a link to your UOA over at PassatWorld, that's probably the best place to research your PCV system. I'm planning on tearing into mine come springtime; I should have a house and a garage again by then. Very curious as to what I'll find.

Quote:

Quote:

Profile for teven7492

Email
Member # 15600
Name
Title Group II Member
Total Posts 133
Homepage
Occupation street sweeper
Hobbies
Location tampa fl
Bio
ICQ Number
Registered on 12/25/06 10:53 AM

Lexus makes a street sweeper?

woodardhsd: do you really believe i'am a street sweeper. Veedubb: so you used synthetic oil and still got sludge, how come.

Quote:

Veedubb: so you used synthetic oil and still got sludge, how come.

I didn't get sludge. I got some varnish and signs of deposits starting for form. And as mentioned earlier, these engines are not robust to any deviation from ideal oils/conditions.

Certainly not. No one on a street sweepers salary can afford that is the awesomeness that is Lexus

For the record, the girly VW is my wife's car
tongue.gif

For monitoring, I just pull the hose that leads up from the actual PCV valve on this engine. Checking the valve is a royal PITA, but this hose was clogged solid with sludge. I figure if this house starts to look nasty again, then I'll be on top of the situation much sooner.

I used Rotella 5W-40 for the 10K I was using Auto-RX. I've been using M1 0W-40 since, but I'd use any of the 502 approved oils. I found a decent deal on the Mobil1, so I went with that. I also use the newer oversize Mann filters. 4K is my max OCI for now, and at 100k I will have a UOA done to see how everything is doing.
cheers.gif

I wanted to add that a leaking valve cover gasket was my first indication that something was wrong....

I have also had no problems with oil consumption with mine. In a 5k drain I might add a 1/2 quart max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back