German Castrol 0w30, 5000 miles '02 VW Passat 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

For the record, the girly VW is my wife's car
tongue.gif

Yeah, but the real question is: Do you drive a Lexus?
Apparently, that's how you get certified as a real man.

Well, I drive a 96 Toyota Corolla for my long commute. That is definitely not a man car, but it's the same company at least...

My man car is my 92 Pathfinder. I love the old Nissan SUV's...

Here is a pic of the breather hose that connects to the cylinder head. It is part of the PCV system.
I will be replacing this one and will take pictures of how it looks inside.
DSC03544.jpg

Quote:

These VW are girly cars i cant believe how many BITOG menbers own and drive the GIRLY VW. I love blowing these GIRLY VW's off with my Lexus , its so funny to see the look on their faces when i leave them in the dust.

Ah, the answer to "What happens to riceboys when they grow up?" They become ricemen.

Hey JAG, it is the Y hose and yes, it cracked.

Here is a picture of the inside:
Breather_hose.jpg

Actually, there were no deposits or sludge inside the hose. There was certainly some oil in there, but nothing blocking the pathway in any way. The connection on the cylinder head had brown varnish inside that wiped right off.

It looked exactly like the varnish that you spoke about that can be seen through the oil fill hole.

The rubber was really brittle and dried out. I guess that is what happens to rubber when hot oil fumes go through it.

I wonder if this is going to have any effect on my UOA which I will be sending in in a couple of months.
The rubber looked like cracked earth. What I mean by this is what you see in deserts or salt flats, where the heat and cold cycles cause rips and tears in the ground. I dont know of a better way of describing it.

I really wonder if this could have caused my higher copper levels, which Terry said could be related to the PCV system.

Thanks Stoic Dude. It's so clean so the PCV valve and suction jet pump is probably clean and fine. I doubt replacing the hose will affect your UOA. Likely you'd have to allow dirt to get the engine for that to happen. I can't remember, what's the engine's typical OCI, oil choices, driving habits, and total miles that's kept your PCV system so clean?

Simple Gifts, that was hilarious!

Quote:

Quote:

You ran this oil for 5,000 miles your wasting your money, go with Havoline , Valvoline, Motorcraft and get the SAME results.

NO. This is not a 1995 Toyota. It is a turbo with a small sump and a history of sludge problems. It requires synthetic oil at 3-5k intervals to prevent sludge and a clean pcv.

To Gnosis, is this a Dyson report? Also, 1.5 qts in a 1.8T is an extradinary amount of consumption as these engines can go up to 10k without make-up oil. I haven't seen this much consumption in one of these engines, even with GC. Something is up.

Veedub,

I assume you've frequented the VW/Audi forums and these engines do use oil as any engine can.
I've got a 99' 1.8T and it's used about a half quart every 5,000 miles or so and gradually went up to about a quart in the same interval. Have 145,000 miles on it and have only used Valvoline Synpower 5W 40 since 15,000 miles. First 100,000 miles went between 8-9,000 miles per my UOA's.

Cosmic,
That's really interesting. Did your engine start using oil from day 1 or did it start at some point?

Yeah, I do spend time on vortex and I haven't heard about too many folks having consumption in their 1.8Ts. But that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

BTW, kudos on running synpower in 8-9k drains. That's gutsy and the fact that your engine is still going strong at 145K says a lot about this oil.

it is very normal for that rubber to crack like that. Pretty much every 1.8T has most of these rubber parts replaced several times.

It is also normal for them to use oil. Most of the oil is from the turbo. Open up the lower hose on the intercooler and watch up to a half quart of oil come out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back