George Russell gets his first win in Formula 1

Ok I just hope there are some serious dog fights to pass. I think most of us really enjoyed those last year.

Not sure I like the trailing car being given such a boost. It’s almost too much.

Ok I just hope there are some serious dog fights to pass. I think most of us really enjoyed those last year.

Not sure I like the trailing car being given such a boost. It’s almost too much.
Yeah, the DRS (Drag Reduction System) can be a big advantage.

The real problem with passing in today's F1 is that the cars are so wickedly powerful and quick, their cornering and braking limits so high, plus the fact they are HUGE (today's F1 car has a longer wheelbase than a Chevy Suburban); passing opportunities are virtually nonexistent. DRS is an attempt to fix that.

Scott

The advantage seems a little nuts when viewed from the still perspective of TV. The car being passed almost seems helplessly slow at times.

I remember as a kid my dad would talk about the advantage of drafting then popping along side.....

Yes. They are allocated tires for Qual and the race. The requirement is to use 2 types in any race, sometimes yes they must switch to a previously used set.
I'm well aware of that and everything slo town has posted.

"I think it's very stupid and limiting for teams to start a brand new season and have to use USED tires in any of the categories"

... to me read that you were saying they had to use used tires at the beginning of the season for some strange reason. Never mind.

Oversimple: We must switch tires and we are in the lead by 3 seconds, with a lap or two left, and all we can use are Y tires on an X° day, because of a rule.

To me this is not real gritty racing. Yeah I know, strategy fail. Lose race.

But we can't really say the fastest car and driver won.

I still watch and enjoy the sport. I love strategy to a point.

Oversimple: We must switch tires and we are in the lead by 3 seconds, with a lap or two left, and all we can use are Y tires on an X° day, because of a rule.

To me this is not real gritty racing. Yeah I know, strategy fail. Lose race.

But we can't really say the fastest car and driver won.

I still watch and enjoy the sport. I love strategy to a point.
I hear you and agree. Sometimes strategies are so nuanced it's hard for the race fan to realize what's going on until after it's happened. I think that can be confusing.

But there is one good thing about having to use multiple sets of tires. Pit stops. This one is epic. Felipe Massa in the Williams. The car is stopped for under two seconds for a four tire change and front wing adjustment. It happens so fast you'll have to replay it and view by all the camera angles. For example, watch the guy manning the wheel gun for the right front. Look how he tracks and watches the wheel nut arrive right in front of him.

Scott

Last edited:
Now we can see what that arse Max can do.

Starting grid, very interesting!

Well, anybody but Max, but Russell screws the pooch, sad.
Said the same thing about Hammy during his run.
And Michael during his.
A good fight is much more interesting than tire management, win.

Clipping?

Plowing into!

I thought the same but .he clipped the end of the wall at the beginning of the turn and it sent him plowing into the wall at the turn.

Lando mentioned he had hit it during the race as well.

At around the 55 sec mark you'll see his car jutter just before he enters the turn.

Search Russell crashes final lap. It's a 2 min video

I've seen several races where the Ferrari's are the fastest but can't hold on. Is their strategy bad or what. I watched the F1 show on Netflix and got interested in F1 for the first time. I remember Red Bull taking a big chance on the unknown Honda engines. Boy did that work out for them.

I've seen several races where the Ferrari's are the fastest but can't hold on. Is their strategy bad or what. I watched the F1 show on Netflix and got interested in F1 for the first time. I remember Red Bull taking a big chance on the unknown Honda engines. Boy did that work out for them.
Ferrari indeed has had some terrible strategies of late, but seem to be getting the kinks out. Plus yes they finally got some speed. So has MB

No one has been as fast as Red Bull, and this last starting grid position was Dutchess's doing, or undoing. If he hadn't crashed in Q and started 1-2, who knows. Plus staying out didn't work this time. They went all in...........

Back