General Energy Topic: Comparitive Energy Output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They need high voltage DC power lines to take the power from the wind farms.

No they don't. You don't need anything special.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They need high voltage DC power lines to take the power from the wind farms.

No they don't. You don't need anything special.

There is quite a bit of efficiency savings by going to Hi Volt DC. But I agree they don't actually need them which is obvious.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The bigger the system the less you have to worry about any one generator affecting the system. There is so much diversity and Its such an incredibly large rotating mass. Some wind is down while others are up. Some solar has sun others have clouds.

So a 600mw wind farm here going between 0 to 600 mW all day doesn't hurt a thing. It might push frequency .0001 fast or slow.

Don't confound AC frequency with power output.
Those are two different things.

The argument against solar and wind is that it reaks havoc on frequency.

I always here from my nuke friends that it is the disruption of base load that is the problem.

That impacts on frequency ultimately...

Wind and solar have no ability to "govern" themselves, they just harvest and deliver.

By displacing thermals, which in Australia are required to have 6-10% of capacity ready to deliver in a low frequency event...if it's sustained, then they have to have ramp rates of 2%/min (10-15MW each Unit) available to maximum capacity...that's the start and ramp time for the GTs as well.

Move enough thermals out of the market, and the immediately available reserve is smaller, making the initial frequency response potentially more of an issue, and more reliance on the GTs.

With a wholesale of $40/MWhr (down here), the GTs are usually bid in to start at $300/MWh...that means that under those vents, the wholesale price is $30/MWhr more than the retail price during those events.

South Australia has more wind generation on a good day than the entire state load...pushes the prices down so that the thermals (who provide frequency and power factor correction) are paying money to stay online during high wind, and are closing their plants down.

That state has the second highest retail costs in the country, and is one bushfire away from a statewide blackout...all things that should be managed but aren't.

Cheap Nat Gas is what is forcing the closing of plants here in the US. One thing with the hi voltage DC is they feed into the normal distribution lines at a converter station. So the frequency and phase factors are mitigated, rather than individual inverters on the wind towers.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Our hydro rates TRIPLED because of these green energy "projects". None of which have contributed significantly to Ontario's hydro infrastructure. The staples are still our nuke plants which basically run the entire province. So where is the value that I, the taxpayer/consumer am getting for that money? We aren't shuttering coal plants and oil burners here. We've already invested massively in refurbishing our 2nd largest nuke plant, which comes on the heels of the refurb of our largest. Had the province gone ahead with the expansion of Darlington, it and Bruce could run the province. That would have been, IMHO, money well spent. Instead, it would seem, our money is being squandered on these fly-by-night efforts which don't last and often get ripped up after the grant money dries up. Again, where's the value in that? I'm not seeing it
21.gif

I'm confused. You say that your "hydro rates" have tripled. Do you mean your electric rates? If so then how much of that rate increase do you attribute to the cost of the nuke plant refurbishments? You mention grant money for the solar farm. Did that money come from rate payers? If not then how do you attribute the rate increase to the solar farm? I hear that you're angry with how money is being spent and the increases in your rates, but I don't follow the lines you're drawing.

But overall frequency of the main grid is determined by load and available power.

Throw a load on, and the whole grid slows down until the load is brought up to match it...wind and solar aren't "scheduled", they have no capacity to help, that's immediately up to thermals and hydros (if running), and the longer response GTs and brownouts.

Drop a load off, and frequency rises and the reverse happens. The thermals and hydros throttle back on governor response...while wind and solar keep pumping unless they are tripped off in an emergency overfrequency event.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I'm confused. You say that your "hydro rates" have tripled. Do you mean your electric rates?

Ontario has had, as part of their dialect, electricity referred to as "hydro" since at least the 1970s. I always say, if it's "hydro" why don't you turn on your toaster and jump into the bathtub with it?
wink.gif

I'm confused. You say that your "hydro rates" have tripled. Do you mean your electric rates?

As Garak noted, hydro=electricity in Ontario dialect.

If so then how much of that rate increase do you attribute to the cost of the nuke plant refurbishments?

None, the rate increase coincided with Ontario's "Green Energy Initiative" whose purpose was to artificially subsidize wind and solar and provide subsidies and grants for that purpose. The 30 year refurb cycle is factored into guaranteed payments and overall costs of the nuke sites, though they (the refurb projects) tend to go way over budget. Also, things get a bit messy here as for example Bruce Power sells its power to the grid at the going rate for nuclear, Bruce was the one that was refurb'd at the onset of all of this and the generators do not set the rates, that's handled by the OEB (Ontario Energy Board). However the guaranteed rates are based on the operating costs of the plants and the nukes are ~6.3c/Kw/hr IIRC.

You mention grant money for the solar farm. Did that money come from rate payers? If not then how do you attribute the rate increase to the solar farm? I hear that you're angry with how money is being spent and the increases in your rates, but I don't follow the lines you're drawing.

The grant money comes from the Provincial government who takes that money from the rate payers in the form of taxes and fees which we see on our hydro bills. Hydro ONE is (mostly) owned by the province of Ontario, though at this point there is now a small public ownership of it as our moronic Premier can't manage money and was/is trying to sell off the Utility to fund infrastructure improvements. She also managed to overvalue it by 2x
smirk.gif
The rest of it would have been payed for by the local utility, but they benefit from the higher (subsidized) feed-in rates for the solar farm, so despite it not being a big generator, they get more money "on the market" for that plant than they do for other generating means.

Some links that might help:
http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/green-energy-act/

And this one is a particularly good summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Energy_Act_2009

Of course as noted in the second link the OEB (Ontario Energy Board, who sets the rates) says that it is coincidence that the rates increased dramatically after the GEP was implemented
smirk.gif
Not that they have a vested interest in this at all..... And they say the increase is mostly due to the guaranteed payments to the other generating methods, but of course that's always been the case, the difference is now that they are subsidizing another entire sector and that's having an impact on those other generating methods with Bruce dumping steam to deal with the renewables coming on-line because it is cheaper to do that then sell the (more expensive) green energy at a loss to the USA and Quebec.

Now, not only have we been paying higher rates, but we've actually been paying TOO high of rates as has been discovered by the auditor general:
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2...or-general.html

Quote:
Ontario’s electricity consumers are being zapped for tens of billions of dollars due to overpriced green energy, poor government planning, and shoddy service from Hydro One, says auditor general Bonnie Lysyk.
In her annual report, she concluded ratepayers forked out $37 billion more than necessary from 2006 to 2014 and will spend an additional $133 billion by 2032 due to global adjustment electricity fees on hydro bills.

*snip*

She found Ontario’s push to promote wind and solar energy is unnecessarily costly and the government ignored warnings from the now-defunct Ontario Power Authority that some power plants, like a biomass-fuelled station near Thunder Bay, were prohibitively expensive.

Lysyk estimated consumers could end up paying $9.2 billion more for renewable energy over 20-year contracts issued under the Green Energy Act with guaranteed prices set at double the U.S. market price for wind and at 3.5 times the going rate for solar last year.
“With wind and solar prices around the world beginning to decline around 2008, a competitive process would have meant much lower costs,” she wrote, noting the government ignored advice from the Ontario Power Authority to seek bids for large renewable energy projects.

The cost of refurbishing Darlington (the nuke plant currently getting done) is costing 12.8 billion, significantly less than what we've overpaid on energy since 2006.

Also, since the renewables come online "whenever", and that power has to go somewhere, it gets sold at a loss. This is illustrated here:

powerdumping.jpg

fe1203_ontarioelectricity_jr.jpg

Relative-Cost-of-Electricity.png

On this one, Bruce and OPG are the nukes:
chart1+(32).png

And our rate increase just since 2010:
Prices2015.jpg

There's a lot to be angry at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back