GC use in 02 Infiniti i35 & 97 Acura RL and UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
After discovering this site, I have made the decision to try GC (green or gold) in my vehicles, as well as performing UOAs. Both cars are lovingly maintained with Castrol Syntec 5W-20 & M1 filters every 3K. Based on reading a great deal of posts, I am comfortable with using GC in the Infiniti. However, I'm not convinced that GC is best for the Acura RL; posts concerning GC compatibility in Honda engines and the mileage is nearing 99K miles. Also, the Acura is a short-trip, in-town driver.
Based on engine, mileage, and usage, will GC be a compatible oil for the Acura?

Concerning UOAs, when should I send the sample? (3K miles or sooner?) Which analysis parameters will determine that the oil should be changed? Is there a sample report that indicates the mins/maxs for each parameter? Which parameters indicate engine problems?
Undoubtedly these questions have been answered in other posts, but perhaps mine will pull the information together.

BTW, this is the greatest site on the Internet!

James

Quote:

Concerning UOAs, when should I send the sample? (3K miles or sooner?) Which analysis parameters will determine that the oil should be changed?

I'm no expert, but I think you'd want to have an optional TBN (total base number) test performed.

Quote:

Is there a sample report that indicates the mins/maxs for each parameter? Which parameters indicate engine problems?

Check out the "Understanding the Elements" page on Blackstone's site:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gasoline_diesel_report_expl.html

Well guys, I popped my GC cherry this weekend with Gold in the Acura RL. javascript:void(0)
grin.gif

As I poured a little in the M1-104 filter, I couldn't believe how beautiful the oil was; I almost thought it shameful to put it in the engine!

Any hoot, I threw caution to the wind! My concerns were the 99K miles on the RL and if the GC would cause any leaks, even though I use Castrol Syntec / Mobil 1.

First impressions: the engine seems quieter and smoother, as if that was possible, and I do not detect any sluggishness as has been posted concerning Honda engines.

I certainly understand the passion and excitement you guys have for this oil now. I almost want to forgo the remaining 1K miles for the Infiniti's OCI and get her started on GC!javascript:void(0)
cheers.gif

Regards,

James

quote : .....Both cars are lovingly maintained with Castrol Syntec 5W-20 .......

James, welcome to the board, as I too have nissans (2)of the 3.5vq's also. Just want to see if there is a typo that you are running a 20wt in this block. Most others are running 5/30 and reports here tend to lead that these blocks like a 'thicker weight' such as GC or xd3 in available to us canucks
canada.gif
. What is your experience and uoa's of the 20wt?

You are correct, Max Tl, I meant to say 5W30. As far as UOAs, I've never had any done. I've been lurking around BITOG for roughly 3 weeks, long enough to order and recieve my first sample kit from Blackstone. There's still a few unanswered questions from my first post concerning when I should have an analysis performed. I'm now a believer in getting the maximum use out of an oil change; no more 3K or die mentality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back