GC in a Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC V6 that is getting ready to turn 75,000 miles. It is about time for an oil change, and I was considering switching to the GC but have been unable to find any in-depth info about it in this motor. I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 for the past 20,000 miles (5000 OCI) with fine results. I say that with no UOA's or real proof, but the truck runs well, consumes NO oil, and has no leaks. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this combo. I also wonder if being "thinner" at startup would help quiet the noisy timing chain tensioners. Thanks for any help or insight!

PW01- I'm about 3000 miles into my first run of it (I've been using Mobil-1 5W-30 and then Mobil-1 EP 5W-30 for the past 80k+ miles or something like that) and so far it seems just fine.

If I had to say the timing chain noise is very slightly reduced, but you'd have to be listening for it...which I was given GC is a little thicker than the current Mobil-1 EP. I once made a mix of Mobil-1 EP 5W-30 and Mobil-1 15W-50 EP that would have put the 100C cSt point right at GC's, and I think it really sounds the same. GC "feels" better in the engine though than that mix, so given a choice between the two I'd take the GC.

My commute to work is so short, that comparing gas mileage between the past runs of Mobil-1 are just useless.

I'll do a UOA in a couple thousand miles and post it in the UOA section, and I'll try to remember to update this thread with the link to it.

Chuck

Quote:

I also wonder if being "thinner" at startup would help quiet the noisy timing chain tensioners. Thanks for any help or insight!

Actually, unless you're starting up your Ranger at -35F the GC is likely thicker than M1 5W-30 at most startup temperatures you're likely to see in Kentucky.

What AndyH said and it a fairly thick 30wt in general. The PDS shows that it is 12.1cSt @ 100C. Compare that to the usual 10.5 cSt of most xW30s. The 5W30 Syntec is down at 9.7. I would use the thinner oil for better mileage.

Not to mention that many have reported GC is getting hard to come by.

Had one of those 4.0 SOHC engines in a 98 Ranger, excellent if low tech power plant. Smooth, good torque and never consumed a drop of oil. Ford still recommends a 30 weight oil for these motors not the 20 weight common in the rest of their line up. Try the GC, its priced right and you may notice a slightly smoother running motor. If it seems too thick go back to M1 at your next OCI.

I stand corrected. My 98 Ranger did indeed have a OHV V6. Also had a 98 Explorer with a SOHC V6. I'm easily confused.

No, wife got cut off by some British tourists and wrapped it around a light pole. Until the accident I had been using Pennzoil Synthetic, forget what they called it then. Ranger had a steady diet of 5w-30 Pennzoil changed every 5-6K at the dealer, I was grandfathered in at $16 LOFs. My only experience with GC has been in a 4.6 Ford where the engine felt very smooth if a little lethargic with the "heavy" GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back