GC and engine quietness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another GC fan here, love the way it performs in my 4.3l blazer.have one question for all the GC loyal experts out there.... has anybody heard of the green magical elixir being used in a 4.2l i6 Chevy trailblazer? I have been using M1 5-30 and it is a bit noisy at startup for a minute or two then it subsides, 32,000 miles on the motor, hate to waste 7 quarts of the green elixir of life, it is getting hard to come by in my neck of the woods,the only way I grabbed some is from a friend who mad a recent trip to VA and found a stash for me ,what a guy!

This is my first post but have been lurking for over a year. I have become a convert to the GC syndrome! Since I bought a used, 2002 BMW 325i with 25k, I have been looking for an oil that would quiet the start-up valve train noise. I tried M1 5w30, which was really bad. I then tried M1 5w40 SUV and it was a little better. I then tried M1 0w40 and it was the worst! Then, I found some GC 0w30 at an Autozone and was really shocked at how quiet and smooth the engine became. It was so different that my wife asked if I "tuned it up or something", because it was so quiet. I now have bought every quart of GC I could find in my area! I now am a true convert!

I tried to get my friend at work to use the GC in his Corvette.(2001 C5) He had M1 0w-40 in it but changed it out and put the M1 EP in. Said the EP made the engine very quiet. Aparently all the AZ in his area still only carries the US Syntec 0w-30.

The whole noise thing is fascinating. Don't quite understand it and whethe it is really important.

I wonder if short term quieter is better when using thicker oil? I think not necessarly so as the additive pack has so much influnce on wear.

I'm sure some people here know that I always point out that M1 0W-40 makes my engine noisy, especially when hot. I added about a 3/4 qt of GC to my engine when I was about 1/2 qt low on M1 0W-40. It actually quieted the engine down. And it wasn't just me who noticed it either, so I'd rule a placebo effect categorically out.

"I wonder if short term quieter is better when using thicker oil? I think not necessarly so as the additive pack has so much influnce on wear"

Mobil 1 is on the thin side of the viscosity range in most grades so that is one reason. At start up, you want the thinnest oil possible. I think it's that plus the chemistry Mobil uses. Mobil 1 is esterless now so who knows. That could have something to do with it.

I have to tell you, the Elves and I cannot read this thread without bursting into tears...it fills us with inexpressable joy...by the way, Unleashedbeast and Fatboymoe,
welcome.gif
. I think you will be VERY COMFORTABLE here in the village...you seem like such bright individuals...the Elves took an immediate liking to you both...yup...it's ALL true. m'man you seem to be VERY CLOSE to an enlightened state...yup.

bh,

We are going to get you there yet...it is the Elvish Magic...trust me, you don't want an oil that depends JUST on viscosity or chemistry to work its wonders.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
bh,

We are going to get you there yet...it is the Elvish Magic...trust me, you don't want an oil that depends JUST on viscosity or chemistry to work its wonders.

pat.gif
What was I thinking? I'm sorry, I'm still learing. A famous sci-fi character once said, "There's nothing for me now. I want to go with you to Germany and learn the ways of the Elves, and become an Elven Master like my father."

quote:

I have to tell you, the Elves and I cannot read this thread without bursting into tears...it fills us with inexpressable joy...by the way, Unleashedbeast and Fatboymoe,
welcome.gif
. I think you will be VERY COMFORTABLE here in the village...you seem like such bright individuals...the Elves took an immediate liking to you both...yup...it's ALL true. m'man you seem to be VERY CLOSE to an enlightened state...yup.

Thank Patman for guiding me here from www.ls2.com
wink.gif

Now, where's my free welcome case of green GC?
tongue.gif

My stash has shrunk down to only 24 quarts.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Unleashedbeast:

quote:

welcome.gif

wink.gif

tongue.gif

frown.gif

LOL..sorry buddy. But The Green is such a rare commodity these days, it's not going to be given out at the door. You'll have to do some hunting and gathering like the rest of us I'm afraid...
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

quote:

welcome.gif

wink.gif

tongue.gif

frown.gif

LOL..sorry buddy. But The Green is such a rare commodity these days, it's not going to be given out at the door. You'll have to do some hunting and gathering like the rest of us I'm afraid...
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

bh,

I will guide you through this as you introduce Unleashedbeast to the world of Der Grün. As young Luke Grünspazierganger once said (I knew to whom you were referring), "I shall not accept The Green at no cost, for a fluid so iridescently beautiful must demand of one a significant price lest the owner consider it too common and disregard its true worth." (I know that is what you REALLY meant to tell the Unleashed one.)

quote:

quote:

welcome.gif

wink.gif

Glad ya made it over!

cheers.gif

BIGHEAD.
How about GC in your Explorer???
I have the 4.0 engine in mine. I have run Mobil 1 5W30 but it tended to use (a quart+) some over 7500-8,000 miles. It now has Valvoline 5W30 (it was free after rebate)in it and coming up for it's oil change. I have not had to add any.
I have considered using 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 and 1 quart of Mobil 1 5W40 T&Suv.
I am thinking that GC maybe the way to go.

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
BIGHEAD.
How about GC in your Explorer???
I have the 4.0 engine in mine. I have run Mobil 1 5W30 but it tended to use (a quart+) some over 7500-8,000 miles. It now has Valvoline 5W30 (it was free after rebate)in it and coming up for it's oil change. I have not had to add any.
I have considered using 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 and 1 quart of Mobil 1 5W40 T&Suv.
I am thinking that GC maybe the way to go.

Negative....the wife does nothing but short trips to work and back (about 10 or so miles in traffic each way). I don't want to end up changing every 4-5K in her car...that's a waste of the Elixer IMO. I'm just gonna do some dino at 4K changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back