GC 0w-30 vs Amsoil 0w-30, and Mobil EP 10w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 4 liter 6 cylinder, that is operated with a 5000-7000 mile and 10-12 month oci. Amsoil 0w-30 and Mobil EP 10w-30 have used.

I like them both, but I like the GC 0w-30. I am a fan of group IV synthetic oils. I used it in a small motor and am thinking of using it in all of my motors, except for our Acura Rsx.

I have limited experience with the GC 0w-30. With a good oil filter, will it hold up to my oci?

With only 5k to 7k miles on your OCI (regardless of the number of months), the GC should hold up just fine. Unless, of course, all of your driving is in the wintertime with trips less than 3 miles!

Have you ever had a used oil analysis (UOA) performed on the M-1 or Amsoil changes?

Quote:

I used it in a small motor and am thinking of using it in all of my motors, except for our Acura Rsx.

Why not in the RSX?
confused.gif

No, I did not perform an UOA on either the Amsoil or Mobil 1.

The notion to use the GC in the base rsx is tempting, but the oil recommendation is 5w-20.

When I tasked Amsoil for oil recommendations, they suggested the 5w-20 first and the 0w-30 second.

I have heard from one source of a base rsx using GC 0w-30 with an increase in wear metals, indicated from a UOA.

How does the GC work in your rsx-s?

Quote:

The notion to use the GC in the base rsx is tempting, but the oil recommendation is 5w-20.

How does the GC work in your rsx-s?

DOH! I forgot the base calls for a 20wt.

I will be changing to GC in the type S tonight. After 10k I'll send a sample off to Blackstone. My last 10k OCI with M1 5w30 was pretty good with the exception of higher than average lead and iron. The viscosity breakdown on the M1 is what prompted me to try GC.

So in 6 months or so, look for a new UOA report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back