Gasoline direct injection and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
So easy, didn't have to take the air duct off either, there's a 1/4" vacuum line right there that I just stuck the straw in and went

Exactly where on the engine is this vacuum line? I have the same engine and was thinking of removing the ductwork and using seafoam in a spray bottle that puts out a fine mist. But I am interested as to where that port is?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Winston
This^^^^^^

I wondered why Toyota has both regular and direct injection on their engines. I bet it is to solve the valve deposite problem.

I always wondered about this too. Maybe Toyota saw this coming? Who knows, but this may be the only permanent fix to come along so far.

GM DI engines are not immune, the 3.6l DI is still to new to see any problems. The Cobalt SS 2.0l Turbo Ecotec engines are starting to see this issue develop. This issues has been a problem for Diesels for years, intake cleanings are nothing new in the Diesel world. Ask any Jetta TDI owner.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
GMBoy,

I assume you did that just prior to changing the oil?

Yes, of course. Cleaned, let it run a little and dropped out that oil.

Originally Posted By: Ross
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
So easy, didn't have to take the air duct off either, there's a 1/4" vacuum line right there that I just stuck the straw in and went

Exactly where on the engine is this vacuum line? I have the same engine and was thinking of removing the ductwork and using seafoam in a spray bottle that puts out a fine mist. But I am interested as to where that port is?

Thanks

First remove your engine 'beauty cover" and you'll see a hard plastic line running to the top of the intake - closest to the actual air duct intake. Just unhook this line (motor still runs fine w/it unhooked) and you can shoot cleaner there. This port also sits right behind the butterfly so you get a good clean all the way thru the intake. No need to undo the duct work.

Some pictures of one using Sea-foam into the brake booster vacume line would be most appreciated. Instead of a finger or straw to controll the injection maybe an orface from a basketball filler or?

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
I always wondered about this too. Maybe Toyota saw this coming? Who knows, but this may be the only permanent fix to come along so far.

My impression is that with a design problem like this a Japanese manufacturer says, "let's change the design right now, stop the assembly line and put in the new design ASAP!", A german manufacturer says, "isn't that interesting, lets engineer a minor alteration that won't insult the original designers and work on this over the course of the next 2 years", an American manufacturer says, "We'll take care of it when the next new engine comes out" j/k

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Some pictures of one using Sea-foam into the brake booster vacume line would be most appreciated. Instead of a finger or straw to controll the injection maybe an orface from a basketball filler or?

Before I routed to the exhaust (which permanently solved the problem) I used to use lubro-moly valve cleaner pulled into the intake via a small hose and basketball needle. You can buy that valve cleaner at NAPA for about $3.50. It contains Naptha just like seafoam but is more concentrated than seafoam.

saaber -- would your method of routing the vapors to the exhaust cause problems with e- tests ? i'm guessing it could, since it's an easy and cheap fix -- why have the carmakers not used this to fix the problem ?

I'm sure there are some EPA rules to the manufacturers that mandate that crankcase gases must be delivered to the intake on all cars from OEM since 1982 or '72 or __ (fill in the year).

Routing the PCV to the exhaust is not a good fix for normal driving.
This can work OK at high speeds. Problems occur at idling and low speed operation. You can even get reverse flow up the system.
It is primarily a racer's thing.
Lots of luck is involved when you implement this system.

Remember that intake valves have overlap, when they and the exhaust valves are open. They can get contamination from this side, as well [Yes, the predominant flow is still going in at certain conditions].
There are a number of reasons to avoid DI engines, for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Routing the PCV to the exhaust is not a good fix for normal driving.
This can work OK at high speeds. Problems occur at idling and low speed operation. You can even get reverse flow up the system.
It is primarily a racer's thing.
Lots of luck is involved when you implement this system.

This is wholly incorrect. I have been running this for over 5000 miles and my vacuum measurements do not show anything like what you are talking about. Low speed operation is often where it has a good vacuum pull. I don't know where you are getting your info. but real-world testing does not support what you are saying.

saaber - I am not wholly incorrect.
Every word I posted here is true.
Read ALL the words. "Can", "normal", and "primarily" are important. So is "luck"
Because a system did not blow up your engine, it is foolishness to recommend it to others.
I repeat:
This type of system on a street car is infused with hidden pitfalls and dangers.

Last edited:
Sorry to grave dig, but I've recently implemented a catch can on my 2009 Cobalt SS. There was a fair amount of oil residue in my charge pipes / intercooler when I did the clutch recently.

Its catching some oil vapors, but I need to find a better solution. I can only assume that running synthetic oil doesnt help to try and condense the oil at the can. Thinking about putting a water injection system on the car just to keep the intake + valves clean.

Using an exhaust evacuation system on a turbocharged car wouldnt work well from the things I've read.

Bummer really. DI is great, and this 2.0L make good power.... but PCV technology needs to catch up.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
GM DI engines are not immune, the 3.6l DI is still to new to see any problems. The Cobalt SS 2.0l Turbo Ecotec engines are starting to see this issue develop. This issues has been a problem for Diesels for years, intake cleanings are nothing new in the Diesel world. Ask any Jetta TDI owner.

Last edited:
Oil Catch Can resulted in my car smoking so I took it off. This was supposedly from something to do with crankcase pressure, according to some others who had the same issue as me. Not sure I remember what they said other than that. But like them, taking off the OCC fixed the smoking issue I had. My PCV is in the worst place imaginable btw. Makes it fairly difficult to hook it up for me. My wife with her small hands had to eventually reach up in there to get it hooked up. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back