Gas tanker truck at station when you go...

What kind of filters do stations typical have? Why aren’t they clogging with all of the sediment you guys are so worried about?

Water intrusion? That’s what concerns me. Do stations have a way of getting rid of the water that may accumulate? I don’t care how tight the tanks are, there’s got to be SOME water in some tanks, if not all of them.

They use water filters as part of their filtering system. In fact, water filters needing replacement is a primary reason why some pumps seem to pump really slowly.

61fwV10z4dL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I don't worry too much about sediment being stirred up because there's a filter to take care of that these days.

My main worry would be about the proper level of additives. Most fuel is already properly "splash blended" by dumping the additive in the tanker, then followed by the fuel. It should be pretty uniform after the time it takes for the tanker to arrive at the gas station. So it's going to have adequate levels and even if there's a slight difference it should be about the same level as in the gas station tank. There won't be a concentration of additives somewhere in the fuel.

Now there could be concerns if there has to be a manual additive step. Someone posted treat levels for Techron bottled additive for Chevron stations if they can't do it at the fuel depot. So that would have to be poured into the tank and then the fuel is delivered where it will properly splash blend after a while. Not sure how long this takes though. And Costco is fairly unique in that they have onsite additive tanks and meter it corresponding to the amount of each delivery. I was thinking perhaps that might create concerns with whether or not it's properly blended while the delivery is taking place. Of course best practices (and a place that sells as much fuel as Costco) would be that the delivery goes to a nearly empty tank and that any fuel being sold to customers is coming from a tank that isn't being filled by the delivery. Still - I've seen a photo of a Costco gas station being built, and they had three tanks - ostensibly two for regular and one for premium. So I'm not sure if they could do that - especially with the premium.

They use water filters as part of their filtering system. In fact, water filters needing replacement is a primary reason why some pumps seem to pump really slowly.

61fwV10z4dL._AC_SY355_.jpg

The label says that it doesn't detect phase separation. There are different filters that can do that.

I found this product data sheet.

51CaxbHIcRL._AC_.jpg

When a pumps filter clogs up it really runs slow.
What kind of filters do stations typical have? Why aren’t they clogging with all of the sediment you guys are so worried about?

Water intrusion? That’s what concerns me. Do stations have a way of getting rid of the water that may accumulate? I don’t care how tight the tanks are, there’s got to be SOME water in some tanks, if not all of them.
I would assume the use of e10 solves their water accumulation problem.

When a pumps filter clogs up it really runs slow.

I would assume the use of e10 solves their water accumulation problem.

Sure. However, the water is still going to be removed from the mixture by the filter. I understand that they're specifically designed for the kind of fuel they're filtering.

Sure. However, the water is still going to be removed from the mixture by the filter. I understand that they're specifically designed for the kind of fuel they're filtering.
Are you sure about this. I dont believe a filter can separate water from alcohol so it would have to remove the combination and that would mean the octane would be decreased since ethanol is used as an octane booster.

Are you sure about this. I dont believe a filter can separate water from alcohol so it would have to remove the combination and that would mean the octane would be decreased since ethanol is used as an octane booster.

I'm reading more into this, and it looks like the water filters don't necessarily filter out 100% of the water. Cim Tek calls their technology Hydrosorb. What they say about it would be that it "detects" high water content, where the flow just slows down. Not sure what could be done about that other than tossing in some specialty additive to reverse phase separation. I'm not sure they can sell it. This one is claimed to work on all sorts of water (free, emulsified, phase separated) by reducing flow. I guess whatever material is used will then cause a restriction.

Multi-Fuel_919.pdf

The one I saw earlier has a more detailed product sheet. That one supposedly doesn't work with phase separated water, but will restrict flow when there's emulsified water, which should mix properly with the ethanol.

70060_Product_Sheet.pdf

Water filters would remove the water/ethanol that has separated from the gasoline. But as long as it is not too much it stays in suspension in the gas. It's also going to be at the bottom of the tank if it has separated so when you get it you would get a good slug.

I took a 1000ml gradated cylinder and filled it 500ml with e10. Started slowly adding water and mixing it. When it gets to be too much to stay in suspension it ALL drops out instantly. You are left with the pure gas what ever octane it is. As long as the water and ethanol stay in suspension the engine should have no problems.

This is not the same case with diesel by any means.

I took a 1000ml gradated cylinder and filled it 500ml with e10. Started slowly adding water and mixing it. When it gets to be too much to stay in suspension it ALL drops out instantly. You are left with the pure gas what ever octane it is. As long as the water and ethanol stay in suspension the engine should have no problems.

The problem with the "pure gas" is of course that there's going to be a really nasty bit, even if it could be skimmed off, the remaining fuel is going to be about 2 octane numbers lower.

The problem with the "pure gas" is of course that there's going to be a really nasty bit, even if it could be skimmed off, the remaining fuel is going to be about 2 octane numbers lower.
Yes I do this with premium for the 2 cycle gas.

Yup! I got bad diesel from my local Speedway not long after they had brand new tanks put in. Filled the water separator in the ~10 miles back to my house. They reimbursed for the tow, having the tank pumped, fuel, the whole 9 yards. To be honest I was praying they were going to need to pay for new injectors... rather on their dime than mine. That fuel up coulda saved me thousands, dangit!

Bad part is they're the only diesel station within 25 miles.
They told me the water probably came from the fuel I bought in TN the day before ? It was an obvious BS deflection and if I hadnt gotten a cheap flatbed tow back to my house and had a heated garage and a spare fuel filter....... Likely a $400 hit if I had it towed to the dealer around the corner.
Not sure how much water got into the pump since the line froze coming out of the tank and the truck sucked the filter dry. If it had cost me more than it did I would have sued them, at the time I probably should have just out of principal. They lost a loyal customer though since I havent bought a drop of fuel there in the 5 yrs since this happened.

I’ve been told in the past to avoid filling up when the tanker is there, but I don’t have any proof to back that up.

The only “bad” gas I’ve pumped was when I filled up with diesel fuel in my gasoline powered car. No it wasn’t my fault, I selected regular 87 but the tanker driver inadvertently switched the diesel and gasoline hoses when dropping his load. I apparently filled up 5 or 10 minutes after the tanker left the premises so I was one of about 10 customers who pumped a nightmare into their tank. The fuel distributor paid for all the damages, no questions asked.

For those wondering how this could happen, I was explained that the hose connections are the same but they color code them. So it’s not a fool proof system. This happened in 2015 at a modern gas station, so it can happen anywhere. I now try to purchase fuel at a station that only sells gasoline, I avoid places that sell both diesel and gasoline.

So does it do any harm to avoid the station during or just after the tanker off-loads? No. So I think it is a cautious approach that really doesn't have much of a downside except what may be circumstantial. But unless on a trip, I always fuel up at 1/2 tank, so it is rare that I wouldn't have choices.

I'm more worried about sediment getting stirred up more than anything else, as I have no clue if they change filters often enough or if they even have them. I assume that most Shell (my most common fill-up brand) stations are required to stay up on those filters, but who knows?

I'm reading more into this, and it looks like the water filters don't necessarily filter out 100% of the water. Cim Tek calls their technology Hydrosorb. What they say about it would be that it "detects" high water content, where the flow just slows down. Not sure what could be done about that other than tossing in some specialty additive to reverse phase separation. I'm not sure they can sell it. This one is claimed to work on all sorts of water (free, emulsified, phase separated) by reducing flow. I guess whatever material is used will then cause a restriction.

Multi-Fuel_919.pdf

The one I saw earlier has a more detailed product sheet. That one supposedly doesn't work with phase separated water, but will restrict flow when there's emulsified water, which should mix properly with the ethanol.

70060_Product_Sheet.pdf

we had water get in one of our tanks at the gas station I worked at as a kid. The solution from the fuel distributor was a 55 gallon drum of gas line antifreeze like Heet. It worked and no complaints of bad gas. This was probably 25+ years ago though.

just my $0.02

Water filters would remove the water/ethanol that has separated from the gasoline. But as long as it is not too much it stays in suspension in the gas. It's also going to be at the bottom of the tank if it has separated so when you get it you would get a good slug.

This is not the same case with diesel by any means.

no doubt! Diesels hate water and it’s very hard on HPCR components and injectors. This is why I change fuel filters on my Cummins annually and have added an additional filtering system under the cab.

Just my $0.02

Another reason, but seldom considered, is that while a tanker is at a station there is a real though very small ( statistically speaking ) higher chance of a very serious fire involving the tanker. While that chance is very small, it is not zero.
I'm curious to know...how would a higher chance of a fire due to a tanker being there? I drive a fuel tanker. Is there something I'm missing or need to know about?

Back