Gas tanker truck at station when you go...

So how does that work? Do they use a pipeline? I've heard of airports that get deliveries through pipelines (heard about it during the Colonial Pipeline fiasco) but eventually a tanker takes the fuel to aircraft.
It was actually a joke really, since Buc-ee’s fuel stations are so big. They are so big in fact that you can be pumping gas and not even see the tanker truck because you are so far away from it.

You have to gauge where your buying fuel. Dirty, crappy looking place, slow pumps, no receipt paper, etc. then stay away. Saving 3 cents a gallon isn't worth it as most 3rd world bargain stations fit that description. Pump maintenance is not a priority like a functioning lottery machine.
Filters cost money, poorly maintained place then filters are low on the priority list as they are a profit killer and are a only changed if necessary item. No different than the average vehicle owner does maintenance, CEL is on, so what it still starts and goes.
I still don't fill when tanker is unloading. I used to stick the tanks and go up on the tanker to make sure it was full in the pouring rain when I worked at the Esso station back in the day so if a load just came in before I get there it's out of sight, out of mind.

I talked to the Costco Gas attendant for about ten minutes this morning.

Their fuel is always fresh due to volume of fill ups.

There are frequently changed out filters at both the tanks and the individual pumps.

There are three tanks, and I now even know which of the three tanks feeds which particular pumps.

There has been exactly one customer complaint in two years regarding the "Costco gas ruins engines" MYTH.

i once asked the costco guy tending to the gas station how many times a day a tanker came. he told me 3-4 times a day. that is a lot of gas. this was a pretty busy costco though
The slower Costco's go thru 3-6 tankers a day. The busier ones 10-15 tankers a day. 8k gallions per tanker. THAT's a lot of gas fresh from the distribution.

is this an old wives tale or legit? i go to costco gas a lot in the evenings and the tanker truck is frequently there, is it bad to get gas while the truck is there or is this just a ridiculous myth? my thinking is that costco goes through so much gas that it is fresh and i would assume costco keeps their underground tanks in good shape...
It's an old wives tale that used to be accurate before all the pumps had filters on them. I know one chain here in the east (Sheets) changes the filters monthly. I would imagine Costco does at least that if not more often. Going to ask next time I visit.

Yeah. Such a tragedy.

bIK3dS.gif

But I don't really worry about sediment since it's all filtered. I've heard of some who were so concerned that they would even disturb sediment in their own gas tanks that they would wait a while before driving off.

My biggest worry is whether or not there's a reasonable mix of the detergent additives. I figure if it's a tank that's properly mixed, and a delivery that's properly mixed, it doesn't really matter. But a delivery at Costco leaves me wondering if it's properly mixed.
The reason Costco does it them selves on every delivery is so they can control and be sure the gas has the proper additives. It is computer controlled but if it breaks down, they have to do it manually. Those attendants are all trained in how to do it. They also check their card readers every hour for theft devices.

The rationale is of contaminants in the tank somehow getting disturbed. That may actually be true, but then it ignores that the fuel delivered by gas pumps is required to be filtered. Gasoline is filtered at every step - at the fuel depot going into the large storage tanks, as it's delivered into the tanker, and at the pump.

Strangely enough, Circle K has a video showing how to replace a spin-on filter. There's only one filter, so obviously this is after the selection of the fuel type. They show a certain amount of fuel that remains in the filter. So it's going to be primed with whatever the last customer pumped.

As long as it well mixed by the time the tanker arrives at the gas station, I wouldn't worry about it. With the notable exception of gas stations that deliver additives at the time of fuel delivery. Costco and some others might deliver additives into the tanks, then the fuel delivery splash blends. That might require some time before it's uniformly blended. I wouldn't necessarily worry about slightly different fuel of the same general type not being uniform as long as the additive is uniformly distributed, as it will eventually blend and it's not too bad as long as it's all blended properly with additives. I would worry about additive levels being inadequate either because it might be pumping fuel from a section of the tank that's short of the additive, or if excessive additive was pumped out earlier while it was still being delivered and the additive level is lower than the specification.

The additive is metered as the gas goes into the tank. It's not just dumped in.

Yeah. Such a tragedy.

bIK3dS.gif

But I don't really worry about sediment since it's all filtered. I've heard of some who were so concerned that they would even disturb sediment in their own gas tanks that they would wait a while before driving off.

My biggest worry is whether or not there's a reasonable mix of the detergent additives. I figure if it's a tank that's properly mixed, and a delivery that's properly mixed, it doesn't really matter. But a delivery at Costco leaves me wondering if it's properly mixed.
I never worry about sediment, i do worry a bout vapors. I don't generally pull in a station if a truck is there.

When i pull my travel trailer, i pull over before a fuel stop and turn off my LP gas refrigerator. I dont pull into the pumps with a flame going.

P.S. something about that video clip looks so effeminate.

The additive is metered as the gas goes into the tank. It's not just dumped in.

I understand that. The additives are deposited first, followed by the fuel delivery. But it still relies on splash blending where the mechanical action of the fuel along with time will result in the mix being uniform. Have you ever seen a concentrate of some type being watered down? Stirring or shaking can result in a uniform mixture occurring faster. With fuel additives in a bulk tank, that might take a while before it's uniformly mixed.

I'm just saying that I have some concerns that I might be receiving fuel from a bulk tank where the additives aren't properly mixed. If the additives were added at the fuel depot, I wouldn't worry so much because mixing two uniform mixtures of the proper additive concentration isn't going to result in being higher or lower. But if the additive is still mixing in the tank as I'm pumping gas, what I get could be a slug of higher or lower concentration that would be expected when it's uniform.

I'd certainly feel better if I knew whether or not the tank being used to deliver pump fuel isn't the one receiving the delivery from the tanker.

I understand that. The additives are deposited first, followed by the fuel delivery. But it still relies on splash blending where the mechanical action of the fuel along with time will result in the mix being uniform. Have you ever seen a concentrate of some type being watered down? Stirring or shaking can result in a uniform mixture occurring faster. With fuel additives in a bulk tank, that might take a while before it's uniformly mixed.

I'm just saying that I have some concerns that I might be receiving fuel from a bulk tank where the additives aren't properly mixed. If the additives were added at the fuel depot, I wouldn't worry so much because mixing two uniform mixtures of the proper additive concentration isn't going to result in being higher or lower. But if the additive is still mixing in the tank as I'm pumping gas, what I get could be a slug of higher or lower concentration that would be expected when it's uniform.

I'd certainly feel better if I knew whether or not the tank being used to deliver pump fuel isn't the one receiving the delivery from the tanker.
The additive is injected into the fill pipe as the fuel is being added. It's not just dumped in, they meter it to get it right and properly blended.
There is an article somewhere on the interwebs that has an explination

Oh okay, no i never saw it, so i don't know the reference.
It's a comedy that's why there's a gasoline fight scene and the line about a freak gasoline fight accident. Models are supposed to be stupid so there's a lot of stupid scenes, but some are funny.

The additive is injected into the fill pipe as the fuel is being added. It's not just dumped in, they meter it to get it right and properly blended.
There is an article somewhere on the interwebs that has an explination

I saw something years ago when they were still calling it "Clean Power". The original links for these presentations are dead, but this was the only archived version that I could find. I think there was an even earlier version of this presentation.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020082...ent/uploads/2013/12/Costco-T-C2-CUPA-2013.pdf

This is what it says about the delivery:

• “Batch Controller” in data hut controls the metering and dispensing system.​
• Attendant keys total fuel gallons immediately prior to each delivery.​
• Additive automatically injected at ~3.25 gallons per delivery.​
• Additive is mixed with the fuel by the delivery agitation.​
• System has run successfully since April 2011.​

I didn't see anything specifies that it's injected throughout the entire delivery to assure uniformity. There's also something a bit off about the ~3.25 gallons per delivery given that all loads are likely going to be different amounts. They also say that the valves used are similar to those used at fuel terminal additive racks.

I'm thinking that you're assuming that the additive is being carefully distributed throughout the delivery so that there isn't just a blob of this stuff dumped into the tanks that needs time to mix. I guess like a soft drink tap where I can literally see the syrup and carbonated water blending. I'm still not sure it's going to be properly blended because it still takes time for that to happen. In a tanker. there's the time (plus sloshing from transport) that eventually arrives at an equilibrium where all the additive is evenly distributed.

I saw something years ago when they were still calling it "Clean Power". The original links for these presentations are dead, but this was the only archived version that I could find. I think there was an even earlier version of this presentation.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020082...ent/uploads/2013/12/Costco-T-C2-CUPA-2013.pdf

This is what it says about the delivery:

• “Batch Controller” in data hut controls the metering and dispensing system.​
• Attendant keys total fuel gallons immediately prior to each delivery.​
• Additive automatically injected at ~3.25 gallons per delivery.​
• Additive is mixed with the fuel by the delivery agitation.​
• System has run successfully since April 2011.​

I didn't see anything specifies that it's injected throughout the entire delivery to assure uniformity. There's also something a bit off about the ~3.25 gallons per delivery given that all loads are likely going to be different amounts. They also say that the valves used are similar to those used at fuel terminal additive racks.

I'm thinking that you're assuming that the additive is being carefully distributed throughout the delivery so that there isn't just a blob of this stuff dumped into the tanks that needs time to mix. I guess like a soft drink tap where I can literally see the syrup and carbonated water blending. I'm still not sure it's going to be properly blended because it still takes time for that to happen. In a tanker. there's the time (plus sloshing from transport) that eventually arrives at an equilibrium where all the additive is evenly distributed.
You probably shouldn't shop at Costco.

It's an old wives tale that used to be accurate before all the pumps had filters on them. I know one chain here in the east (Sheets) changes the filters monthly. I would imagine Costco does at least that if not more often. Going to ask next time I visit.
I asked a Costco attendant how often they change the pump filters. He said whenever the pump flow slows to 8 gpm. Normal flow is between 9-10 gpm. He also said there are regular maintenance check ups where they also change the filters. I've been in Murphy stations where the fuel hardly flows. What does that tell you?

I filled up at our local Costco yesterday. The attendant told me they sold 180,000 litres the day before (almost 47,000 US gallons) and had several deliveries during the day. A real busy day is 220,000 litres (58,000 gallons). So if you’re worried about the delivery guy “stirring up crud” then definitely fill up exclusively at small mom and pop stations that don’t sell much product. I tend to live more on the wild side.

Still living by the lessons learned as a kid. My sister filled up her '84 Bronco II alongside a tanker truck one day, and about a mile down the road, it started missing, hesitating, but never she managed to keep it running with the gas pedal at stoplights. The Ford shop said it was water in the tank. Not good, but better than sand and mud.

I filled up at our local Costco yesterday. The attendant told me they sold 180,000 litres the day before (almost 47,000 US gallons) and had several deliveries during the day. A real busy day is 220,000 litres (58,000 gallons). So if you’re worried about the delivery guy “stirring up crud” then definitely fill up exclusively at small mom and pop stations that don’t sell much product. I tend to live more on the wild side.

And of course they're going to use a filter at the pump, so stirring up crud is hardly going to be an issue. The biggest problem with small, low-volume gas stations is that the fuel might not be as fresh. Costco's turnover means it's some of the freshest fuel available. I never worry about stale fuel that might have oxidized or has otherwise degraded.

Back