Garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours was old and started leaking from inside. I helped contribute to the breakage by breaking a shot glass in it. Whoops. It was 14 years old anyway. Internal seal broke. Replaced it last weekend.

Maybe I just have bad luck with disposals or maybe it's just ISE Badgers are junk... but I've replaced three Badgers over the course of two houses.

First house had a Badger and it was immediately replaced with an identical model. That one lasted about 5-6 years. Replaced it with an ISE Evolution.

New house had a Badger. The house is about 6 years old, so the disposal was about the same age. Disposal needed replacement. Ended up buying a new Badger for the old house (the house hadn't been listed yet), removing the Evolution from the old house, and installing it in the new house.

Yet another year past and the Evolution is still as quiet and grinds as well as the day it was installed.

Originally Posted By: buster
Ours was old and started leaking from inside. I helped contribute to the breakage by breaking a shot glass in it. Whoops. It was 14 years old anyway. Internal seal broke. Replaced it last weekend.

A few years ago in college my roommates and I put a couple beer bottles, then a beer can into a garbage disposal. The disposal survived, but getting the can out was a challenge. I don't think the noise it made will ever leave my memory.
crackmeup2.gif

Unfortunately, I didn't think to note the brand/model of disposal at the time.

We were horrible tenants then, but I have mended my ways.

Unless you go with something like the Evolution series you end up with a galvanized turntable plate. Depending upon the chemistry of your water that plate will rust at varying rates. Once it rusts enough to prevent free movement of the lugs (the things that remind me of old centrifugal weights in a distributor) the waste will not be forced properly against the grinding ring.

I had one fail like that in a house I was renting. The thing would spin freely, but it wouldn't grind waste. That was in Corpus Christi, where the tap water is highly corrosive.

Upadate: Got the old one working, had to tinker with it for a few days. Turns out I have some piping to do. Not quite sure if I want to keep the disposal, though the wife says yes.

Not sure how much life left in this one though, if I do decide to keep it after the repipe, I'm thinking it is going to be smaller...

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
If it is leaking out the bottom of the disposer the internal seals in the disposer are bad. The only way to fix it is to replace it, AFAIK the seals are not replaceable and even if they were replaceable the motor has now been sitting in water for maybe quite some time and should be replaced. I just had to replace my own disposer back in December. It was leaking very badly out the bottom of the unit. I bought an Insinkerator 1HP at Home Depot. It cost about $110.00 and works like a champ. It came with directions and a tool to tighten the disposer to the bottom of the sink drain. I found a Youtube video that showed how to remove the old one. It was an easy job and I was glad it did not cost too much. I would suggest getting the 1HP unit. The guy at HD was right when he told me the 3/4 HP is weak.

Glad I came across this thread. Mine started mysteriously leaking out of the bottom! I couldn't figure it out. Looks like it's toast and can't be fixed.

Sorry to hijack.

I have a 3/4 hp GE batch feed. The batch feed models don't have the switch on the wall but use the stopper to activate the motor. The batch feed models will grind bones and just about anything you put into it. My wife accidentally dropped a spoon into it and didn't realize it until it had destroyed the spoon. Didn't hurt the disposal at all. Mine was pricey at almost $500.00 20 years ago but the odds are good it will last a life time.

Bones? What possible reason is there for grinding up bones to flush into your plumbing?

From my owners manual model # GFB1050v-01..."If disposer makes a loud noise...this is normal when grinding bones or fruit pits". The reason for grinding bones is to flush them into the plumbing system and then into the city sewer system so in three days you won't have to deal with the smell of decaying bones and meat in the garbage! This has worked well for me for 20 years with no adverse effects.

^There you go. I generally like boneless cuts - ribeye, flank, tenderloin. Never have found a need to grind bones in the disposer. Seems like one of those "Tim the Tool Man" things. (My thing has more power and can grind bones.)

The only bones I grind in the disposal is chicken bones. The manual doesn't specify, just that it is capable of grinding bones. I'm thinking that a T bone might be more than it could chew...I replaced the original one that was in the house in 1997, with the same model that was in the house when it was built in 1970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back