Furniture sliding on wood floors

Status
Not open for further replies.
The place I just moved into has the laminate faux-wood floors. It's actually rather slippery; so much so that every time I lean against the furniture or sit in the couch too violently, the whole thing moves a few inches.

How do I keep the furniture in place without damaging the floor? It's an apartment so I can't do anything too drastic.

I know there is carpet tape, but what does one use for couches, loveseats, and cocktail chairs?

Get some of that removable picture stickem goo. I can't remember what it's called, but it leaves no residue. Just put it under the feet.

What the heck did they treat the floor with?

For the couch, consider cutting a piece of 3/8 plywood to act as a spacer between the baseboard and the couch feet. You can paint it or staple some cloth on it if it shows.
jig-saw.jpg

Originally Posted By: Carbon
For the couch, consider cutting a piece of 3/8 plywood to act as a spacer between the baseboard and the couch feet. You can paint it or staple some cloth on it if it shows.
jig-saw.jpg

The couch is not up against a wall, it's actually in the center of the room.

They make furniture foot pads to protect floors. Some are made hard with some sliding ability for chairs and whatnot, others are made of rubbery materials to prevent slip. Take a look at Kmart or home depot, there should be a ton of different types that are very small and unobtrusive.

What about some of that perforated nonslip drawer liner material you could cut out some pads, or just buy some of the stick on rubber pads.

We just had laminate installed in our home....we use these Dura-Grip pads under the sofa and loveseat.
I think they're kind of pricey, but the furniture doesn't move, so it does it's job well. We put those felt pads from Home Depot under the legs of barstools, etc. and these under the rugs.

Last edited:
You pound a nail 1/2 way in and cut off the head. Then drill a hole into the leg of each piece of furniture and then slip the leg over the cut off nail.

Makes rearranging a little difficult however.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I know there is carpet tape, but what does one use for couches, loveseats, and cocktail chairs?

For couches we use stick-on clear rubber bumpers, like these:
link

I think we bought them at Home Depot or Walmart.

For chairs we use stick-on felt tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back