Funny how things fall into your lap

Status
Not open for further replies.
A customer came into my work last week. We got to talking about gold mining,old mines and a stage coach stop that was not far from my house. I knew the area but not the exact spot and he said that it had been 40 or so years since he had been to the area.

He said that there is a rock with " Queen" scratched into it in the area and once I find that I'm there.

So naturally I have been talking about this with my wife ( who just rolled her eyes) all week.

Yesterday we went looking for the area,plus just taking a little drive. We had given up and we're heading home. We came to a sharp and steep downhill curve.

I figured that I better get out and walk first before driving us head first into something I could not see. Good thing to because the road was completely gone and I could not see it over the hood of the Toyota.

Got back into the truck and my little cousin says " I found it". I say found what? She says the rock with Queen on it.

It turns out that the spot where I parked to investigate the trail was looking directly at the rock with Queen scratched into it!

I didn't notice it but she sure did. Very faint and hard to see but it's there. Funny how I parked and we were looking right at it.

IMG_20190922_143334.jpg

Originally Posted by Shannow
It's the way tht the Universe works Chris...

LOL. I found it interesting that I parked looking right at the rock I was looking for!

I love going out exploring. There is all kinds of stuff out in the hills that people know nothing about. Good for you finding that.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I love going out exploring. There is all kinds of stuff out in the hills that people know nothing about. Good for you finding that.

I really enjoy it too. I love history like this. I have lived here 45 years and at one time thought I knew everything there was to see. I was wrong.

Years ago we lived close to Denver and also an aunt/uncle had a vacation cabin west of Colorado Springs. He had an old Jeep with the 'Hurricane 4' and we spent much time crawling all over old mountain roads/trails/railroads beds often in old mining areas. Later we had early 'Enduro' scooters going even further. Back in the 1960's-70's there was much less population and travel in those remote areas was lots of fun mixed in with decisions on how far to press it as low fuel and breakdowns or injury with no assistance near or ability to communicate for help. We like history and it all worked out ok and made for some great memories.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Good stuff. Any evidence of a spring nearby, how did they get water for the horses? Who was the queen?

Yes there is water in the bottom of that gully. It was called the "queen mine"according to him.

Originally Posted by Shannow
It's the way tht the Universe works Chris...

It sure is.

Originally Posted by Lapham3
Years ago we lived close to Denver and also an aunt/uncle had a vacation cabin west of Colorado Springs. He had an old Jeep with the 'Hurricane 4' and we spent much time crawling all over old mountain roads/trails/railroads beds often in old mining areas. Later we had early 'Enduro' scooters going even further. Back in the 1960's-70's there was much less population and travel in those remote areas was lots of fun mixed in with decisions on how far to press it as low fuel and breakdowns or injury with no assistance near or ability to communicate for help. We like history and it all worked out ok and made for some great memories.

I remember when a hike to one of Colorado's fourteeners we would see maybe one or two other hikers or none at all. By 2000 it was like Grand Central Station both ways. Just like Everest.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I remember when a hike to one of Colorado's fourteeners we would see maybe one or two other hikers or none at all. By 2000 it was like Grand Central Station both ways. Just like Everest.

Lake Louise in Canada is like that now too.
Went there in 2000 and you could park in any of the lots and walk around.
Now you have to park in Banff and take shuttles to Lake Louise all because there's way too much traffic going up the mountain.

What is the cause for so many hikers?
Is it more travelers? more people who are active and fit?
Need for more instagram selfies?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

Lake Louise in Canada is like that now too.
Went there in 2000 and you could park in any of the lots and walk around.
Now you have to park in Banff and take shuttles to Lake Louise all because there's way too much traffic going up the mountain.

What is the cause for so many hikers?
Is it more travelers? more people who are active and fit?
Need for more instagram selfies?
confused2.gif

Its all about the 'Gram now.

Adirondack peaks are like this now, too, until the cold weather takes hold. We're rapidly approaching the time of year when some fools will go up in sneakers/t-shirts, get caught in a blizzard and need rescue. Hiking/wheeling/exploring is so popular now, but there are also a heck of a lot more people in the US than when many of us were kids.

Cool find, Chris. The mountains here have a bunch of abandoned mining camps accessible by 4-wheeler or on foot. A lot of history there, I love exploring, but there is always a sense of melancholy. Much as I like getting out there away from the masses, seeing these places when they were thriving would be a whole different experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back