Fuel Filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys.. quick question...

Are fuel filters all the same quality wise? Say Fram vs Napa, or even OEM Motorcraft? Just wondering since I'm getting ready to change it in the Focus.

Thanks

Are ALL fuel filters the same quality? No...

Are NAPA and Motorcraft the same quality? Yes.

I will never buy another FRAM fuel filter. I had one on my sister's '96 Taurus for a little more than a year and it rusted so badly it began leaking. The one in my '99 Taurus in the same time frame was also heavily rusted but hadn't started leaking yet. In contrast, the Motorcraft on my Marauder had almost 2 years on it and no rust at all.

NAPA Gold, WIX, Purolator, or OEM.

I just removed a rusty Purolator fuel filter from the motorhome. It had been on there for 2-3 years though. I installed a Wix.

I got a Purolator from AAP. They had the best price for mine. Mine has the regulator in the filter *facepalm* so I wasnt going cheap.

Quote:
your next Fram filter won't leak.
There won't BE a next FRAM fuel filter. They had their chance. It's NAPA Gold/WIX or OEM now for me.

FWIW, FRAM air and transmission filters are OK.

I know on my GM vehicles, pretty much all the aftermarket fuel filters are plain steel and have a potential to rust through rather quickly. The oem AC Delco filters are made of stainless steel.

If it matters to you, I bought a Napa/Wix fuel filter for my Toyota truck and it was made in China.

Not saying that Chinese stuff is bad or poor quality, but that was the first Chinese made Wix filter that I have seen.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
If it matters to you, I bought a Napa/Wix fuel filter for my Toyota truck and it was made in China.

Not saying that Chinese stuff is bad or poor quality, but that was the first Chinese made Wix filter that I have seen.

Was it a Napa Gold filter?

What was it's part number?

Thanks, Jim

Fuel filters are like oil filters. Some are better than others, some are over rated, some are under rated, some are over priced, and some are value priced.

I would stay away from filters made in China.
Filters made in these countries should be OK:
USA, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Italy, Japan, Canada, Mexico, and Australia. I left out France and England (UK) because I have been unimpressed with other automotive products from these 2 countries. South Korean has been making some fairly good stuff, but I am still skeptical.

Remember that that little low coat filter protects $200 to $800 fuel injectors, and a $50 to $400 fuel pump. If the filter is plugged, it could overwork/overheat the fuel pump and burn it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back