FU on a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about using a Fram Ultra on a shared sump motorcycle. Will be using Chevron Delo 15-40 and changing oil every 2500 and filter every 5000.

What do y'all think?

First post been lurking here for years. Great info here and I have used much from this site over the years.

I thought this post was about getting batteries/etc chucked at you on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Spur
FU on a motorcycle

Quite a title for your first post.
smile.gif
Good thing you clarified what FU stood for.
smile.gif

Don't really have any advice for you though. There are some who only swear by using motorcycle-specific filters. Others seem to think there is no such thing.

Which motorcycle?

Sorry about the title, just a little play on letters.

Using on a victory.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Rand
I thought this post was about getting batteries/etc chucked at you on the highway.
cheers3.gif

On a Victory what?

There has been debate in the past about using a premium filter such as a Purolator Pure One oil filter on motorcycles. Debate was centered around too little flow due to the high efficiency of the filter.

Was it a problem or not? Possibly, as Purolator even suggested to NOT use a Pure One on any motorcycle applications. Google it, and you'll find the links to the history of what happened.

My motorcycle is still under warranty. I can buy an OEM Honda filter for $9, which is around what you'll probably pay for a Fram Ultra (or less). For me, that's plenty fine. And I don't have to worry about Magnuson-Moss either.
smile.gif

I used nothing but Honda oil filters on the last Honda motorcycle (with a shared sump), and sold it running strong with nearly 90,000 miles. So, the filter wasn't a problem, with oil and filter changes at 5,000 miles (on average).

Yes, excellent post title :)

As far as the Ultra goes, I use one without problem, but we have different bikes (2007 FZ6 here, vs. your Victory engine (same one for all models, correct?)).

FWIW, some here have said the Ultra flows very well, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any application.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
FWIW, some here have said the Ultra flows very well, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any application.

Motorking, who works for Fram, gave the flow info a couple times on the Ultra. Yes, it flows well ... most full synthetic media filters do.

So does Fram have Ultra applications specifically for motorcycles, or is the OP adopting a car filter to his bike?

It is my belief that stuff with motorcycle attached to it just raises the price. An oil filter is an oil filter and a good oil will work in any engine, some exceptions noted. That's why I have always used HEDO in my shared sump bikes, rotella, delo, delvac, etc.

As for filters, I believe the same. Why pay $15 for An OEM, when I can get as good or better for half the price. So, I usually use wix filters on most things. The Fram Ultra seems like a great filter for not much more than a wix 51356. Just wondering from the Guru's here if there might be any draw backs to using it. Will be using the XG7317.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Just wondering from the Guru's here if there might be any draw backs to using it. Will be using the XG7317.

No drawbacks ... the Ultra is a very good oil filter in every category of what an oil filter should be.

I would say that if the specs are the same you shouldn't have any problems. I am currently running a Purolator Classic, L10241, on my Harley. Here's a link to the spec: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L10241

Here's the M/C filter that Purolator says I should be using: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=Ml16822

If you look at the specs: height, OD, relief valve setting, etc, they are the same. I would have no problem running one on my Harley. I may run this Fram TG next time: http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=TG3614. The specs on it are very close to the Purolator's.

Thanks Guys

Just a little worried about flow. Usually the relationship between flow and efficiency is an inverse function. But most of the time the engines oil circuit is much more restrictive than the filter. Looks like the FU will be fine.

There isn't a typical filter on the market (normal or premium) that is a "flow risk" to any motor made from a normal OEM. Most filter flow WAY, WAY more oil than the engine will ever push at max rpm.

Just because a filter is efficient, does not mean it's some kind of wicked restriction. Even if the media were blinded off (a complete and total obscure rarity that no BITOGer ever risked in his/her lifetime), the bypass would open and do it's job.

FLOW IS NEVER A PROBLEM WITH ANY TRADITIONAL TYPICAL FILTER. I wish this rumor would die, but it just seems to jump from brand to brand (used to be P1, now it's the FU) and application to applicaiton (the infamous 'Vette topic, now it's a motorcycle).

The only caution I would ever offer is that some OEMs are specific about speciality applications. If you use a non-approved filter, it would represent a risk if:
1) you spec'd a bad application due to some error in interpreting characteristic data
2) you had a failure that resulted in damage, and you'd have the burden of proof upon you in the arbitration/courtroom

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

Just a little worried about flow. Usually the relationship between flow and efficiency is an inverse function. But most of the time the engines oil circuit is much more restrictive than the filter. Looks like the FU will be fine.

Not if the filter designer knows what he's doing. Typically, a very efficient filter will have more media area to ensure the filter still flows well. Read this thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. The full Fram Ultra will flow even a little better than the PureOne due to the FU's full synthetic media (per data give my Motorking, who works for Fram).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

And yes, the engine's oiling circuit is typically 15 times more restrictive than the oil filter.

Harley says not to use the five micron on pre twin cam. Some people have reported oil leaks when doin so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back