Fram Tough Guard TG3593A cut open

This filter came off of a ThermoKing APU with a Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel engine. It was on there since September 20, 2020, so about 3.5 years. The filter accumulated exactly 300 hours of run time. The engine has 15,651 hours.

This APU was underneath my truck all over the US from Miami FL over 100 degrees in the summer to Michigan winters way below 0, and snow and salt all over the place. No wonder the outside is a little rusty. Filter was made on March 1, 2017.

Out: this filter and Rotella T6 5W-40.
In: Fram HM3593A and Mobil Delvac 15W-40.
Remember those brown high mileage fram filters? Got it for $1 years ago when Walmart discontinued them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Some filters have wide pleat spacing at the seam - also where pleat tears often occur. So the way the seam is put together has a factor. Yeah, change the way the process is conducted to get more even pleat spacing at the seam.

When a cheap filter like a basic PG's can look flawless there is zero excuses for a company like Fram to produce this garbage period. Manufacturing crap. While this filter didn't tear, which is great, It makes them look like they don't have their manufacturing up to a good standard. This is no "one off" event here either. Seen it over & over again... It's bad.

That yanmar has earned it's keep with those hours. They've been making small diesels for a very long time which is why John Deere went to them for several different motors over the decades. Yes, I remember those High Mileage filters that had some additives that were released during the oil change. I don't think they kept them around for very long.

To each their own I guess. I don't care that this filter is not a beauty queen. I don't care about even pleats either. I don't care if it has fiber end caps. All I care is that it did it's job well, it didn't tear and it is 99% efficient at 20 microns. I will use them in the future.

Btw, the hours on this filter is equivalent to about 15k miles.

To each their own I guess. I don't care that this filter is not a beauty queen. I don't care about even pleats either. I don't care if it has fiber end caps. All I care is that it did it's job well, it didn't tear and it is 99% efficient at 20 microns. I will use them in the future.

Btw, the hours on this filter is equivalent to about 15k miles.
Makes perfect sense.
You are the ideal target customer for the TG.

You can't ask for more.
Kudos to you 👏

Makes perfect sense.

You can't ask for more.
Kudos to you 👏
I can ask, but no one will answer. 😜😊

I was thinking about this, it looks like regular non wire backed filters, the less efficient they are, the straighter the pleats come out after use.

Makes perfect sense.

You can't ask for more.
Kudos to you 👏

This is like seeing who you think is a very pretty lady in blue jeans … And then she turns around And you are thinking like darn she could stop a train .. And or “ can I still move ? ? I think i just saw Madusa… :LOL:

I can ask, but no one will answer. 😜😊

I was thinking about this, it looks like regular non wire backed filters, the less efficient they are, the straighter the pleats come out after use.
If you're happy with that filter that's all that matters. It's an interesting thought about less efficient filters but I would bet those pleats were uneven when you put it on the Yanmar in the fall of 2020.

Back